WildSurvive Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Lycan Ican

Cleaning a Camel Bag

A buddy of mine left his camel bag in the trunk of my car for a few days after he had finished up some exercises with the local army reserves.  After a few days, the bag was brought from my trunk to my basement, where it has sat for... 2 months or so javascript:void(0);...  The tube now has some nice green stuff in it.  I'm guessing it's not cam paint, so I was hoping for some suggestions as to how to clean it out.  Flush it with javex and then soak it in hot water?? 

Personally I keep my camelbag in the freezer when it is not in use, this keeps the tube from turning green :P

Any thoughts, tips or suggestions?

Letting soak in a "javex" or disinfectant solution may address the problem but I would seriously think of replacing the tube if I could, what concerns me is the bladder itself that could be (probably) also contaminated, also a long soaking in the same solution or replacing it also. The solution cannot be so strong that it will damage or eat the bladder and or tube. Tygon makes tubing in different sizes that could be used to replace the suspect tube.

What would be needed is disinfecting, then airing out after using using a wipe on a string that is passed through the tube to swipe it nearly dry (a la pull through bore cleaner for firearms). The bladder should be open and a mild disinfectant sloshed around and rinsed out; then insert a clean rag into the neck opening and manipulated as well as you can, removing it, then leaving the bladder in an open posture to air/dry out. Maybe using a hair dryer on a warm setting and forcing air into the bladder to finish the drying process using a tube? 

Guest adrenjunky

camelbak makes cleaner tabs that I have used with good success and hanger that works really well.

I own a CamelBak and love it.  It's one of the originals.  I wish they made their holders in a white or metallic color and not black.  My water gets wicked hot in the summer. 

Guest taken by the wind...

~ what's a camel bag?   :unsure:

Use tuse to to carry water in.  It has a hose with a nipple that you can stick in your mouth so you can keep walking or doing whatever and still be able get a drink.

I have one that slips into a sleeve in my backpack, so that it is kept out of the sun, and away from my back.  I find it keeps the water cooler then an actual "camel bag".  I've found if I keep a few ice cubes in the water as well, It keeps my lunch cool as well!

The one I have to clean is an original though, all black... I guess I could perk coffee in it during the summer!

Guest Lead Dog

Ice is the way to go when hiking in warmer temps!  I like to throw some cubes in the old water bottles.  Nothing more refreshing than cold water on a warm hike.

They sell cleaning kits with special brushes made to go the entire inside length of the tubing, it helps to scrub out the gunk. I usually clean mine out every 2 months or so, but mine is in constant use so it always has fresh water in it, have never had it go green on me.

I would follow that up with the tabs someone had mentioned earlier.

A couple of extra tube lengths from any plumbing store to replace any bad ones.  Also a couple drops of ordinary chlorine bleach to your water to keep bacteria from building up in hot weather.  I also have an ice cube tray that makes tube cubes and they slide right into the smallest opening, like soda bottles.  If the internal bladder is removable, wrap it in foil and stick it back into the pack.  Helps to insulate it.

my freind has one and i want one so bad becuase i hate stopping on the trail to take a sip of my water bottle every ten minutes

Guest adrenjunky

i have a camel back alpine :o i dint know it was supposed to be cleanind if you use reaglur water :o ?????????

Yeah you do need to clean every once in a while. If you just get cleaning tabs and through one in every once in a while. I do it every 3 or 4 uses.

i found mine it was never used that i could tell but i cleaned it with bleach anyway the only thing I've noticed is when i drink it taste like I'm drinking from a water hose is this going to go away? and i think it the original black its nice i put it on first then my 5.11 vest over it then my BOB, sleeping bag and tint not included have not figured out how to get it all together yet.The Alice pack is nice just bulky and I'm trying to get a gear that is in layer/sections ill post pics as soon as i can. I'm trying to use a good large book bag instead of some military items i own ppl tend to look at me funny   

sorry writing is not my strong suit