WildSurvive Forum
mistwalker

St. Patrick's Day Hike & Picnic With The Little One

Well, it may have been a day or three early for an official first spring hike and picnic, but the red bud trees are in bloom, the dogwoods are coming along, wild flowers are popping. With all of them bringing patches of color back to a landscape that has seemed all but lifeless for the past few months and the temps being warm enough for wondering the woods in short sleeves it sure feels like spring to me.

There were dogwoods just beginning to bloom beside the picnic area so the little one got to check out the new flowers and asked what the stamens were, I'll have to show here again when they have developed further.

DSC_9722.jpg

DSC_9721.jpg

DSC_9726.jpg

DSC_9729.jpg

She was hungry so a happy dance on the way to the picnic table was in order.

DSC_9730.jpg

I let her set the menu for the picnic...fried chicken, dinner rolls, and seriously sharp white cheddar. I took her knife out of the truck before the Florida trip and put it up so she had to use one of her mother's knives that was still in the truck. I may have to get her a pink one of these for the first knife I actually turn her loose with...we all know what happens to first knives in the woods...or the back yard.

DSC_9732.jpg

DSC_9734cropped.jpg

I was hoping this wasn't some sort of  “gangsta” symbolism...I asked her what it was and she spread her fingers and said “three of course, I cut three pieces of cheese” (two for her, and one huge piece for me, I guess that's what I got for complaining about getting the smallest piece last time). She must have been good and hungry, she ate three legs a roll and two pieces of cheese before being ready to hit the trail.

DSC_9737.jpg

DSC_9740.jpg

DSC_9742.jpg

Once the butterflies caught her eye it was time to go. We were on a spur trail loop off of the Cumberland trail, the destination was a couple of ponds so I could show her the amphibious life developing, they are learning about wetlands in school.

DSC_9743.jpg

DSC_9759.jpg

DSC_9760.jpg

DSC_9762.jpg

DSC_9763.jpg

She got to see new flowers, new growth moss, and fungi that were popping out too.

DSC_9748.jpg

DSC_9766.jpg

DSC_9776.jpg

DSC_9774.jpg

Then just more wandering around the area and through the woods looking around.

DSC_9778.jpg

DSC_9780.jpg

DSC_9781.jpg

DSC_9782.jpg

On the way home she got one of life's more grim lessons. I saw a dozen Black Vultures gathered around a carcass a few miles each way from any houses, and with me just getting a glimpse of the color I thought it may have been one of the local coyotes and turned around for a better look. It turned out to be someone's dog, but it was a pointed lesson in why we do not play in the road. It also became a conversation of turkey vultures, even as scary looking as they may be to a child, are not killers but will eat anything they just happen to find laying around dead. We apparently have a fairly healthy population of them, between what were on the ground and up in the trees there looked to be about 20 of them. One was really loathe to leave the carcass as I approached.

DSC_9791.jpg

DSC_9795.jpg

DSC_9796.jpg

DSC_9803.jpg

DSC_9800.jpg

DSC_9801.jpg

DSC_9802.jpg

To finish the day I headed out to my favorite restaurant and watering hole for a couple of pints of green pale in peace and solitude and drank a few toasts to friends old and new, and to life being much better than it once was.

DSC_9834.jpg

DSC_9850.jpg

DSC_9830.jpg

Looks like ALOT of fun! I love how interested little kids are in everything. :)

Was a lot of fun. Yes they are, that's why I'd much rather have them outdoors than in front of a TV :)

I always love seeing and viewing your posts! The photo's are just outstanding.

Thank you, I'm glad you enjoy the posts...I am a nature and camera addict...oh and in all honesty a knife addict as well...

great photos as usual, those black bird vulture things are uuuuuuuuuugggly.. cute kid though.

Thanks Ben, she is cute...probably the only reason she doesn't spend time tied to a tree lol. Yeah those critters are some ugly birds. I'm more used to seeing turkey vultures here than black vultures. I need to look back through my photos and see how many times I've taken shots of black vultures and didn't catch the difference.

Thanks for taking us along on your hike.

Thanks Chris, glad you enjoyed it.

Great post mist. And kids dont mind being tied to trees... as long as you dont leave them there  :whistle:

Thanks bro. Lol, I had all but forgotten...her older sister used to always want to be "tied up" so she could "escape or be rescued". She was pretty wide open back then too. I always managed to tie her up lose enough that she would get out eventually...but a few times it was tempting to let a tree babysit her for an hour or two :)

Great photos, Mist!  And that young'un still has the most pinchable little cheeks ever!  :grin:

Thanks bro, and yeah...sometimes I can't help but pinch one :)

I always look forward to your posts the photos are just outstanding! Thanks

Thanks man, I'm glad you enjoyed the post!

mistwalker, I can't wait to move to Tennessee and walk some trails with you and your family.  :yes:

mistwalker, I can't wait to move to Tennessee and walk some trails with you and your family.  :yes:

Wow, you're moving to Tennessee? Not sure if Tennessee is ready for that  :P

We can go hiking, just remember I ain't no spring chicken and don't do cross-country runs unless it involves armed pursuit  :hugegrin:

Wow, you're moving to Tennessee? Not sure if Tennessee is ready for that  :P

We can go hiking, just remember I ain't no spring chicken and don't do cross-country runs unless it involves armed pursuit  :hugegrin:

We'll take it slow and easy, mistwalker.  I'll be 50 in a couple of weeks and I'm feeling it too!  :P

We'll take it slow and easy, mistwalker.  I'll be 50 in a couple of weeks and I'm feeling it too!  :P

Lol, so...when are you moving to TN ?

Lol, so...when are you moving to TN ?

I'll be in Cookeville by the last week of April.  I have SO much to do before then!  :scared:

I'll be in Cookeville by the last week of April.  I have SO much to do before then!  :scared:

I'm surprised you're moving back to this side of the pond.

I'm surprised you're moving back to this side of the pond.

Strictly for financial reasons.  Otherwise, I'd live here for the rest of my life!  The economy is terrible here and getting worse.  Gas is $12/gallon and going up every day.  Housing costs are almost double what they are in the southern US.  The worst part is that the pay here is low compared to the cost of living.  And a lot of businesses are closing, with millions of Brits "on the dole". 

Strictly for financial reasons.  Otherwise, I'd live here for the rest of my life!  The economy is terrible here and getting worse.  Gas is $12/gallon and going up every day.  Housing costs are almost double what they are in the southern US.  The worst part is that the pay here is low compared to the cost of living.  And a lot of businesses are closing, with millions of Brits "on the dole".

I hear about the high costs of things over there fairly often, I've made several British friends over the last four or five years. I hope all goes well for you back here. Businesses closing isn't something that's limited to the U.K., and I'm pretty sure we have millions on AFDC and Food Stamps over here as well. It's a tough economy everywhere it seems.

That's what daughter's are for. Wait till she ask's you for her own Fiddleback.

Great pics Brother.

That's what daughter's are for. Wait till she ask's you for her own Fiddleback.

Great pics Brother.

I know, Lisa finally got hers. She's been trying to get her hands on it since I brought it home from Blade last year. I want to get Alayna a Hiking Buddy too when she gets a little bigger. Since I inherited the blue Izula I got for Lisa I'm going to let Alayna learn all of the rough stuff with it. I am thinking about dulling it a little and just letting her carry it on our next hike. If she somehow manages to kill it the thing has a lifetime warranty, and if she loses it then not near as much of a loss as the custom knife John gave her. Jeez at age 6 my first knife was some little cheap knife from Otasco, at age 5 she's given a custom with full tang, flat grind, D2steel, desert ironwood scales, a brass guard, and mosaic pins. Plus she has that little Svord...not like she's hurting for knives lol.