WildSurvive Forum
Docwatmo

Doc's Picture Palooza - Photo's speak volumes so I'll just shut the heck up!!!

I'm "testing" a camera/camcorder for work.  It's the Kodak Playsport ZX5.  We field each of the line crew supervisor trucks with a camera, but are upgrading them to these devices for the convenience and so they can record procedures.  These things are TOUGH, Water proof, submersible to 10 feet, dustproof, shock proof.  (They NEEEEED to be with our crews LOL). AND they are less than $200, so easily in my camera budget for the crews.

So I took the test model out on our hikes this weekend.  Had a blast.

First off, a couple of pics of new foliage coming up.  I just love spring and all the new bright green coming up through last years brown detritus . 

100_0076.jpg

100_0056.jpg

100_0032.jpg

100_0043.jpg

100_0042.jpg

100_0024.jpg

100_0023.jpg

100_0020.jpg

I particularly liked this one because it was growing up in the middle of a hollowed out old pole.

100_0019.jpg

And now for the fun pics

We have a small set of cliffs in our local park we walked to the top of.

100_0026.jpg

M Oldest boy next to a BIG ole Burl on a tree

100_0054.jpg

Boys being boys Climbing on stuff and exploring.

100_0070.jpg

100_0062.jpg

A macro shot of a 1 inch snail shell I found.  The camera works VERY well.  (They improved some features quite a bit over the old zx3, Macro and Low light are two big improvements).

100_0071.jpg

Some super green patches,  the kids just loved these.

100_0081.jpg

Did a little bow drill fire prep work,  this was the first set of sticks (Trying a new method, the 2 stick hearth rather than the plank) Thanks Mistwalker!!  These ended up too soft and not working.  (got to fail once in a while to keep learning). 

100_0095.jpg

The second set worked better.  We were at bowhunters shooting, and shot longer than expected so we had to leave early to pick up my wife, so we didnt gather enough materials.  But when we got home we grabbed what we could find around the house.  This was pine, but it was good dry pine.  For the two stick hearth board it worked ok.  We will go back out again and find some good materials to bring home and try.

100_0102.jpg

My Middle boy wanted to try the hand method to see the difference.  yeah, he decided the energy was MUCH better put to the bow.  LOL

100_0096.jpg

He did the bow drill well enough to get smoke, but not quite a coal before he tuckered out. 

100_0098.jpg

Sometimes, just give a kid a piece of string (or paracord) and he'll keep himself occupied for hours.  Best babysitter ever (Not just because you can tie the kid to a tree with it either. LOL)

100_0100.jpg

And finally, I had skipped lunch getting gear ready, so as we sat at the park I pulled out a "Beef roast with Vegetables" MRE meal packet left over from last years scout outing and ate it cold.  IT WAS FREAKIN DELICSIOUS.  I was surprised, they have definitely improved these things over the last 20 years.

Doc.jpg

All in all, it was a FANTASTIC weekend.

It was a blast.  I was surprised I didn't get more pictures, but I kept forgetting I had that little camera on me instead of my big Nikon hanging off my neck.    The New ZX5 is just amazing.  I have a little "Tree huger" wrap around tripod that I forgot to bring.  Was gonna set it up on a tree and get some video's.  Maybe next time when I get used to carrying it.

The green just looks so much more "GREEN" first part of the year.  My favorite time to hike.

By the way, that was taken over a year ago at my heaviest.  (293).  I'm, 6 foot 3 and can carry the extra weight but I'm back down to 270 right now and losing about a pound a week.  That should speed up with all the hiking and activity I'm doing now.  Watch out bro, I'm gunnin for ya.  LOL

By the way, that was taken over a year ago at my heaviest.  (293).  I'm, 6 foot 3 and can carry the extra weight but I'm back down to 270 right now and losing about a pound a week.  That should speed up with all the hiking and activity I'm doing now.  Watch out bro, I'm gunnin for ya.  LOL

im 220 right now, youd have to loose about 3 first graders to catch up. lol  one tip for loosing weight.  hike UP! the hills  :rofl: glad your working on it bro.  :thumbup: keep it up  :arigato:

oh...and by the way Ofg...if you aint eating like kings...you aint camping  :hugegrin:

Yeah....like I'm wastin' away to nothin' these days.  lol

Wait till you hear both of us laugh,  we have the same laugh, REALLY freaks people out.  Then when we finish each others sentences and stuff. 

we dont look that much alike anymore. if we stand next to each other he looks like the before and i look like the after picture... :P  although some people still get us mixed up  :blink:

we dont look that much alike anymore. if we stand next to each other he looks like the before and i look like the after picture... :P  although some people still get us mixed up  :blink:

...must be the similar hair styles.  lol

Bald is Bald is Bald.  (Whats really funny,  the rare times I've shaved my gotee off, the next time I ran into him, his was shaved too.  Same thing happend when we first grew them. Neither had any idea the other was doing it and we run into each other and we both had them.  LOL  Twins,  who knew wacky115.gif?  LOL

I think it's just great that you have a twin.  It's really nice seeing the two of you together here.  :hug:

Being a twin is interesting to say the least.  Growing up we were either best friends or mortal enemies (Depending on the minute of the hour of the day LOL).  It was fun though, because we could be at each others throats, and someone else did something we'd be at each others backs in a millisecond.  Even now, we both know that if anything happens, the first person we are calling is each other, as we know we will have each other's back.

There is a special bond between twins that is just "Different" than other siblings. 

But we really do finish each others sentences, and think so much alike at times it's scary.  But the best is our sense of humor.  We both have the same sick, twisted, demented and monumentally humorous sense of humor.  And we will get each other laughing so hard sometimes that we can't breath.    Made dinner time at the parents house a heimlich inducing affair to say the least.

I just LOVE to hand a kid a camera and tell them to shoot whatever they want.  It's more fun when they are younger (Just hilarious to see what they are interested in taking pictures of).  My oldest boy is 13 so he is a bit more directed in what he wants to take pictures of than he used to.  But I gave him the Kodak when we went on our hike and these are the pictures he took.

He seems to like decaying stuff.  He told me he likes to see "Dirt Being Made" and thinks it's such a cool process.  So the first couple pics are just that.  I kind of like that he doesn't worry about keeping the camera "Square" to the subject either,  Makes for some interesting shots.

100_0174.jpg

100_0169.jpg

100_0165.jpg

100_0164.jpg

And then some greenery to round it out.

100_0171.jpg

100_0170.jpg

100_0162.jpg

He even took one of me while I was shooting I didn't see until I downloaded his pics.  The watcher became the watched.

100_0177-1.jpg

It was his first time using the Kodak ZX5 and I think he was messing with the zoom as most of the pics were a bit out of focus. (It has a great auto focus but it was in manual mode when he gave it back to me) He is learning though.