WildSurvive Forum
Docwatmo

Doc's Picture Palooza - Photo's speak volumes so I'll just shut the heck up!!!

I had some fun shooting pics too.  We were at the park at a birthday party for a friends 5 year old.  The mother had done a "Colored Rice" project, kind of like putting the colored sand into jars, but with died rice instead.  I saw the rice and just had to shoot some pics of it.  It was just really cool to look at.

DSC_0038.jpg

DSC_0035-1.jpg

DSC_0034.jpg

Had to get a shot of the boy. 

100_0178.jpg

I just love old trees, this is one near the playground at the local park.

DSC_0074.jpg

Cool hole in a tree.

DSC_0087.jpg

OUCH!!  (it was only 1/2 inch long LOL,  just shot close up)

DSC_0093.jpg

Old picnic table with some great soft tones.  It was too overcast, but this was just gorgeous to my eye.

DSC_0146.jpg

Knot on the same table.  The colors just don't do it justice  (more light would have helped).

DSC_0148.jpg

This is the "Upside Down Bridge" (The one under the water, not the one over the creek) at our local park.  I grew up swimming and fishing for chubs and baby bluegills in this spot.  The bridge is not the original, as  child there was a much older bridge, but it was too dilapidated and they replaced it.  I'll never forget those times, using grandpas cane pole to catch bait fish to take down to the river.  Yeah, it's a very public place, not as secluded as some of my more private favorite spots, but this area will be in my heart for the rest of my life, and my children s also.

DSC_0192.jpg

DSC_0190.jpg

Here are some nature shots.

A little fresh poison Ivy

DSC_0007.jpg

Some egg sacks on some leaves (not sure which insect, I'll look it up some time)

DSC_0040.jpg

I just loved the contrast between the leaves and the grass.

DSC_0002.jpg

A perspective shot up a very old, very large tree.  Big trees make me feel insignificant and humble.  Just love em.

DSC_0023.jpg

What looks like a young maple coming up. 

DSC_0017-1.jpg

The gigantic cliffs of a small tree stump

DSC_0004.jpg

The next two pictures are of a unique Shelf mushroom growth.  The mushrooms grew on the tree while it was standing, then the tree fell over, and they continued to grow in a 90 degree angle.  Kind of neat.

DSC_0051.jpg

DSC_0056.jpg

I was wearing a leprechaun shirt that was given to me a couple years ago that I had never worn before,  so I went behind a bank and the boy took a pic trying to get the leprechaun.  LOL

DSC_0058.jpg

What cool photos!  I love the colored rice pics!  It looks like you two had a wonderful day together.  :yes:

Yeah, with 3 kids, it's harder to get 1 on 1 time, always busy running around as a family,  so once in a while we try to make time for one on one time.  The oldest boy is my 100% outdoor Boy Scout, just loves camping and anything outdoors and engineering (He took my wifes vacuum cleaner apart at 6 years old and managed to get all the pieces back in except 1 extra screw).  My middle boy is a sports kid, awesome at every sport and a top 99th percentile straight A+ student and we have some pretty awesome one on one conversations.  And my 5 year old is easy,  I sit and play with him, build Thomas tracks and hotweel tracks and legos and we have a great time together.

Doc, let me say how refreshing it is to hear a man speak so highly of his wife and his children.  :yes:

It's true.  With them, I have everything I ever wanted, I don't need stuff or things.  As long as I have them I am happy.  They give me purpose, they give me joy, they give me love.  What more could a man ask for?  (Besides to quit his full time job and go live in a cabin, but I digress  :whistle:)

Oh and did I mention she is an amazing cook?  (Hence the spare tire around the middle, it's all her fault for cooking so good).  I can't be expected to take any of the blame for my lack of self control because her cooking is so good.  :hugegrin:

Doc, let me say how refreshing it is to hear a man speak so highly of his wife and his children.  :yes:

Awwww...that is so sweet!  :cry:  :grin:

~  :unsure:    Holly, don't you see what's happening? I think we need to go get Doc's Man card back from his wife.  :guns:    She's obviously confiscated it. (She probably has it hidden in her underwear drawer.)  It's a dangerous mission, but I think we can do it.  Are you in?  :ninja:

Man card, scman card, real men love their wives and can be romantic, and then go kill something and eat it for supper.  ;)

Real men don't need a card to be a man.  (At least thats my take on it).

Great pics Doc! I see your may apples are a few days ahead of mine, that's cool to see the difference

I've never eaten them before, but I'm planning on collecting a bunch this year and giving them a try.

Man card, scman card, real men love their wives and can be romantic, and then go kill something and eat it for supper.  ;)

~  You're right, Doc. Touche' to me.  :yes: 

What do I know about real men?  wacky115.gif

(She told you to type that didn't she? It's ok. I Understand.)

I've never eaten them before, but I'm planning on collecting a bunch this year and giving them a try.

Roots and leaves are poisonous... I've never ate one either.

does that count when the only thing they kill is a double cheeseberger and fries  happy097.gif 

The bush was about 6 feet tall and EVERY leaf looked like that.  It was pretty amazing.  The most I've seen on a single plant before.

The bush was about 6 feet tall and EVERY leaf looked like that.  It was pretty amazing.  The most I've seen on a single plant before.

I think those are part of the leaf... I read about that somewhere and forget what it was. I'll try to find it.

My friend Mirage runs Mirage Training.  These are some of the pics from our range day.

He has an annual birthday bash every year,  He rents the range, invites his family and a few close friends and brings LOTS of toys along.  We all bring our stuff and have a big shoot.    It's always a great time (His family is really great).

He brought 6 of his and his wife's rifles, plus a dozen or so of his pistols, and a bunch of the guys who came brought some stuff, including his father who seems to get the newest Ruger guns before anyone else can get their hands on them. (I think he has an inside contact at Ruger LOL)

Mirages wife told him for his birthday this year he could get any rifle he wanted, he was torn between a SCAR and the ACR, he decided on the ACR for it's modularity.  That was one of the highlight guns.  I'll cover the fun stuff we shot as I post the pictures.

Here is my pretty :woot: ,  This is really an amazing weapon, It is much heavier than I expected, (I still want a SCAR myself),  but minimal recoil, you could shoot this thing on target at 100 yards about as fast as you could pull the trigger.

100_0553.jpg

Of course, my wife had to get some shots of me with it.  Donnie Likey, Donnie Likey ALOT.

DSC_0188.jpg

Doc post ACR shooting,  that is the smile of a young child in a candy store after being handed the key and told to go wild. 

DSC_0213.jpg

My wife was scared of shooting the ACR, it was so big and heavy she thought it would have a big recoil, but after a little convincing from the rest of us she shot the hell out of it.  Busted a couple clays at 100.  She was smiles ear to ear but I missed the picture she turned around before I could get a shot of her smile.

DSC_0191.jpg

This is me shooting Mirages wife's AR (She hadn't gotten to shoot it yet, Mirage had put 5 or 6 rounds through it the day before to zero it but that was all).  This was the lightest AR I've ever shot, it had a polymer fore grip, and a lightweight barrel,  VERY fast to throw around on targets and just as accurate as the ACR.

DSC_0197.jpg

This is Mirages wife FINALLY getting to shoot her own gun LOL

DSC_0203.jpg

A closeup of all the goodies. 

100_0554.jpg

My wife shooting the AK.  This is one of the nicer AK's (Don't remember which build).  I really like this one and this is the one my 11 year old still talks about shooting.

DSC_0215.jpg

My wife blasting away with her xD, (She REALLY LOVES that gun and shoots amazingly well with it).

DSC_0228.jpg

Mirages sister (Who refused to shoot any rifles last year, finally shot one this year, and the smile says it all, She just kept wanting to shoot bigger and more guns, right up to the 12 gauge and just kept begging to shoot more.  It was so much fun to watch her go from total fear to comfortable, to true joy shooting.

DSC_0275.jpg

I don't remember which 12 gauge this was, but it was really smooth and had great sites.

DSC_0306.jpg

You can see our 2 Ruger 10/22's on the first bench,  Those are ALWAYS popular, must have but 6000 rounds through the two of them, everyone just loves plinking with those.  Lots of great steel targets to shoot at including Mirages shooting gallery, which is a motorized 5 target gallery, but even at it's highest speed once you get used to the site's you can out shoot the gallery, it's sooooo much fun.

DSC_0238.jpg

On to the guns.

This was a BRAND SPANKING new Beretta (It was purchased by a friend of mikes who does military contracting).  This brought back a lot of memories, I remembered shooting the heck out of the original M9's during the transition.  (I still like the old Ruger P85 that should have won that contract but I digress.  Still a fun gun to shoot. 

100_0579.jpg

And of course my ole Ruger P85 :-)

100_0555.jpg

There were a dozen different M&P Models including the M&P22 which is one of the best full sized 22's I've shot,  it's not a ruger Mark II/III, (the trigger is still the M&P so not as good), but overall, for a training gun with the same dimensions as your duty pistol, it was incredible.  I didn't get a picture of the 22, but here is one of the M&P sub next to my wifes xD sub. 

100_0556.jpg

This is the Kahr CM9,  great little gun, I didn't like it as much as some of the others. (Longest trigger pull EVER on a mini with no clear break point)  (The Ruger LC9 and Ruger SR9C both hands down better), but it was still a nice gun to shoot,  VERY concealable in that range between subcompact and pocket gun.

100_0568.jpg

This was another of my favorites.  This was a Sig 1911 (the 1911 Carry Nitron Model).  Talk about tight, smooth and just plain awesome.  Every bit as good as the 3 or 4 Kimbers I've shot.  I'd like to see it with bigger grips (The grips are beautiful, but just a little narrow for my hands).  I managed to shoot a 3 inch group, with 8 rounds about as fast as I could get back on target.  I MUST have this gun if I ever get into competition.  (If only they made it a double stack like the para, it would be perfect).  This was one of the favorites out there.    It is pictured here next to my xD Sub C for size.  It would make an amazing carry gun for sure.

100_0560.jpg

I didn't catch the name on this, but I believe it's a S&W Model 36, 38 Special.  This is Mirages Dad's Belly gun.  What was unique was the grip had an extension (Just on the right hand side toward the top, you can just see it in the picture) that was like a mini paddle.  You stuck this gun in your wasteband and the catch caught the belt.  Ingenious.  (Not much retention if your active, but for a quick grab and go, it was pretty neat.  This was a fun gun to shoot.  I hand't shot a 38 special in a while and his dad is a glutton for punishment (Every round is maxed for all his guns, +p+ most of the time.  This is a potent little 38 and I would not be afraid of being undergunned at all with it. 

100_0569.jpg

Another AR Mirages cousin brought along, it was a brand new super cheap build (I think he said he did it for $699).  no frills but still fun to shoot.

100_0571.jpg

I saved the best for last (In the pistols anyway). LOL  This is the LC9.  Talk about the PERFECT small carry gun.  It's no secret that I hate the LCP, not fun to shoot, just too small for the 9mm cartridge, can be done, but not something you spend much range time on.  RUGER DID GREAT with the LC9,  It is COMFORTABLE for a day of range shooting.  Yes you heard me,  I could shoot that little thing all day, no pain.  And it's not quite an inch longer than the LCP.  Heavier slide than the Khar CM9, handled recoil a bit better.  It was a joy to shoot.  I think it's the perfect compromise between an ultra small pocket pistol and the Sub Compacts like the xD's and M&P's.  The grip is a little narrow, but a rubber wrap around would fix that in a second.  I was REALLY amazed with this gun.  I expected it to be painful to shoot like the LCP, but it was almost as easy as the xD.  This gun is DEFINITELY my #1 choice for a backup or even just ultra small summer carry gun.    It was brand new and the slide release was VERY stiff, but after break in, i'm sure it would be fine.  this one had the laser, which was good and easy to operate (Just indexing the side of the gun was almost all it took to turn the laser on, didn't even have to think about it).

100_0562.jpg