WildSurvive Forum
Docwatmo

Doc's Picture Palooza - Photo's speak volumes so I'll just shut the heck up!!!

Had a VERY active week last week.  Here are the pics.  I had 6 days with the two older boys, then an extra day of camping with the youngest, and then we went to the local minor league baseball game (For free for our home town night at the kernals, they give away the tickets to the town they pic). 

Of course the first thing I did when I arrived at camp was "THE BERRIES"!!!!  LOL  ate soooooooo many, every day every plant had another 5 to 10 berries ready to be eaten!.

_DSC0024_zps7aa21ddf.jpg

Of course, there is NEVER a shortage of coffee around me.  ;) ;D

_DSC0005_zps14fb67ab.jpg

The tiniest little tree frog I've ever seen!!!  Yes, that is a typical housefly it's watching.  It was very neat.

_DSC0003_zps1726ab88.jpg

More berries shots, playing iwth the camera.

_DSC0029_zpsbaa6da7c.jpg

My middle boy took the Indian Lore merit badge and spent a night in these Tepees. 

_DSC0030_zps486ec3bf.jpg

My oldest, waiting on the range to shoot.

_DSC0035_zpsbeee317d.jpg

My boy and another one of our scouts preparing for the shotgun shooting.  (My boy hit 12 of 15 clay's his first time (They needed 12 of 24 to pass) made the requirements for the merit badge on the first shoot.  (Guess it helps to get them out shooting young.  ;D ;D )

_DSC0038_zpsc516e1b5.jpg

My boy shooting, I liked the way you could see the clay too, but this was one of the 3 he missed. LOL

_DSC0055_zps4cc077d5.jpg

Got some good rain also.  I love rain when I'm camping.  We had an awesome week weather wise, a little veriety, rain, heat and perfect days.

_DSC0064_zps71b91892.jpg

My oldest boy really liked working on the photography merit badge, (Mostly because I let him use my camera, LOL

_DSC0066_zps52c12eea.jpg

Look at that triger discipline!!  Both of my boys (and 1 of the other 2 scouts I had) hit the "James Bond Club" by putting 5 shots in the size of a dime.

_DSC0111_zps97ed7c72.jpg

A cool cloud pic.

_DSC0133_zps3a1542a1.jpg

Of course the boy had to shoot me for his photography merit bade.  (He was not trying for the transitional light/dark effect but it came out kind of neet).

_DSC0143_zps47ca6700.jpg

I LOVED the way this pic came out, just too bad he had just peeled an orange with his teeth so he has orange chunks in his teeth. LOL

_DSC0149_zpsa3b4fce7.jpg

My oldest boy can have a little trouble getting out of bed sometimes.  He decided to sleep in the supply tent hoping for rain (For the rain on the canvas sound which he missed the first night).  So the guys woke him up with a horn. LOL

_DSC0170_zpsc77623c0.jpg

My middle boy with his Ordeal bead for Order of the Arrow.  He was elected in at camp.  This is during his 24 hours of "Silence", was a really quiet night at camp. LOL

_DSC0175_zps7438c267.jpg

Next is a series of 4 shots from COPE which is the high climbing rope course.  He was the only scout to sign up for COPE (My boys are both doing it next year because of how much fun it was).  On that day they were doing the leap of faith.  You climb up a 32 foot pole and jump off the top trying to ring the bell.  He didn't make the bell but he sure tried.

_DSC0207_zpsdceb8f43.jpg

_DSC0196_zps246981ee.jpg

_DSC0198_zpsb4c7fa7f.jpg

_DSC0199_zps596d0cfa.jpg

And of course, I had to try it. Found out my huge feet don't balance well on top of that tiny little pole. Just as I tried to get my leg on top of the pole I fell sideways.  Good thing there were plenty of kids on belay. LOL

[i_DSC0232_zps0efaf569.jpg

MG]http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh279/docwatmo/Scout%20Camp%202013/_DSC0225_zpsf43fd33d.jpg[/img]

_DSC0236_zps7226689e.jpg

_DSC0237_zps207f6c28.jpg

The scoutmaster cookout.  We learned a long time ago that if we stand back, the SPL's (Senior Patrol Leaders) will jump in and cook.  My midle boy was the spl, but he had to do his CPR certification so the oldest boy did it.  We only lost 3 hamburgers and 5 hotdogs off the grill  :o (3 to drops and 2 to scoutmaster "Testing"  ;)

_DSC0285_zps5b724a43.jpg

One of our scouts was selected as the "Honor Camper" for his group of eagle questers. (First year scouts). He is a great kid and will do well in scouting, had a blast with us.

_DSC0337_zps5446bddf.jpg

The look I give when they tell me I have to leave camp!!!  (It must have worked I got to stay an extra day  ;D ;D  (My youngest had his tiger cub camp out on the Sat/Sun we normally go home so I got to stay an extra day).

_DSC0351_zpsd59b4007.jpg

So I moved campsites and set up for me and the boy. 

_DSC0356_zpsc3e71ab6.jpg

I have more coming, just have to upload them.

Guest smallgamehunter

Good pics doc looks like u all had tons of fun

What brand is the stove in that second pic?

Not sure whats up with this, it keeps stripping the /IMG tag when I post.  I'll come back later and try to figure it out.  Got to get back to work.

great pics doc. looks like a lot of fun. I was just out there the weekend before you. hopefully next year ill get to do the whole week.

It's one of my favorite weeks of the year.  We finally have all the boys over 13 now to do high adventure so we may do boundary waters or philmont next year.  Sure hope you get to do the whole week.  It's such a blast. 

I did 68 miles that week (Plus another 6 or 8 estimated on Sunday with Tiger Safari).  Most miles I've done yet.  Since I could split my time between eagle quest and the other merit badges, I did more walking between areas than normal.  I feel so good, like I'm totally recharged. 

It's one of my favorite weeks of the year.  We finally have all the boys over 13 now to do high adventure so we may do boundary waters or philmont next year.  Sure hope you get to do the whole week.  It's such a blast. 

I did 68 miles that week (Plus another 6 or 8 estimated on Sunday with Tiger Safari).  Most miles I've done yet.  Since I could split my time between eagle quest and the other merit badges, I did more walking between areas than normal.  I feel so good, like I'm totally recharged. 

I did the whole week last year at Klous. best week of non rest ive ever had  :thumbup:

Thanks, It was a BLAST, I always have so much fun at scout camp. 

I finally got around to fixing the last page of links.  Don't know why SMF kept stripping them out, but they should work now.

WAY more energy then I got these days. I worked as a ranger in our local scout one summer. Great bunch of kids show up. It really gave me a new out look on kids and scouting I thought was dead and gone.

Great fun Doc.  :thumbup:

Good thing my Dell ADP (Accidental Damage Protection) plan on the truck computers I send out covers goats.  LOL 

One of our line crew was stopped to do a meter change out, and there was a mean looking dog, so he left his door open for a quick getaway.  When he got back to the truck, he found 2 goats in the cab, one jumped out right away but the other was much harder to get out and he got this picture. 

ResizedImage_1376590372651_zpse41c28ba.jpg

Did a little more shroom huntin over the weekend and have some picks from the last couple weekends.

Found one more small patch of Sulfa (Was delicoius in countyr gravy last night).

20130825_144951_zps7b994f33.jpg

Not sure what these are but that's half the fun is looking them up.  (I'm not bothering with spore prints as we are not going to eat these, so just a rough identification for fun is all I'm doing).

20130825_145347_zpsdd2fa333.jpg

Saw this guy, but only had my phone so the pic is bad.  Probably the largest I've ever seen.  It was taller than my youngest boy.

20130825_073337_zps13023fc2.jpg

Did some fishing, not much out there right now, but the little guy has to photobomb every fish pic LOL

20130824_092803_zps8a550def.jpg

My oldest boy found this large Hen (Hen of the woods).  It was starting to get a bit woody, but we managed to salvage a good 2 lbs or more of tender stuff, fried it in butter with a touch of garlic and it was delicious.  These mushrooms smell amazing. 

20130823_200434_zpsa6b02bdd.jpg

It was starting to get dark and I saw this guy and shot a quick pick with the phone.  I didn't realize it at the time, but the background went to near complete black and I just thought it was a cool effect!

20130823_195237_zps2741fe7f.jpg

These are actually a fungus of a fungus LOL,  My wife looked these up and discovered that they are infected, I didn't catch the name, but it was just kind of neat.  Both the infected mushroom and the parasitic mushroom are edible, but not "Choice".  We didn't pick any, but it was kind of neat to see.

20130823_195020_zps7313ce2a.jpg

The 6 year old hooked a nice little northern.  (About 16 inches).  What was funny, was, he yells, "Dad, I got a snag" so I step over to get the snag and I felt the fish running.  I had to hand it back to him and tell him to reel it in.  He was pretty excited.  LOL

20130811_100256_zps4d699e48.jpg

The 6 year old kayaking.  He is getting pretty darn good.  I put my foot on the bank and tell him to hit my foot coming in and he nails it every time. 

20130818_185905_zps763b94bc.jpg

Another friendly little bug.  :hugegrin:

20130808_175254_zps60fcb4cd.jpg

Thanks all.  I have some from this weekend.  Had a great time.  I didn't bother taking the camera to the lake because I wanted to spend more time having fun and less time behind the lens.  Just snapped a couple with the phone and that was it.  Hope everyone had a great weekend too.

Did he catch that Northern in that crick? I can show you how to get all the bones out of a pike. The green bug is a stink bug.

Did he catch that Northern in that crick? I can show you how to get all the bones out of a pike. The green bug is a stink bug.

Nope, pulled it out of the river that the creek flows into.  I've cleaned a few northers, sometimes I can get them clean, sometimes I tear them up.  I'd be happy to learn a technique that really works consistently  Thanks Swede.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

Some pics from recent activities (From my phone, I haven't processed the 8 gigs of photos I've got from the last couple of months yet LOL).

Our troop helped out one of the Cub Scout packs with their holloween party.  This is my oldest boy running the candy flinging catapult stateion.

20131028_190043_zpse5ac57e8.jpg

My Middle boy on the left and another boy from the troop were doing the bowling with pumpkins.  (Scary to have 30 young kids tossing real pumpkins down the hallway. LOL  Only split one of them open though.  But my boy said he had to be ever watchful.

20131028_185631_zpsdccdd334.jpg

This is the kind of thing I come home to with my oldest boy if you just leave him alone to do his thing.  It's a home made battery.  He looked up on the internet how a battery works and what materials work best.  Gathers stuff up and made a working battery.

20131025_172231_zps8eaa7779.jpg

Everyone on facebook has seen this one, but here it is for the rest of you.  My youngest boy as Alphalpha.  This kid is a RIOT, he even sings the barber of sevile off key just like the original, and his dancing is a hoot.  Spend 4 minutes with him and your gut hurts from laughing.

20131027_144100_zps171fb740.jpg

My wife and our youngest on the cub scout float.  The theme was "Pumpkin Dynasty" (We are famous for our pumpkin festival LOL), and the theme was based off of duck dynasty.  I made 30 each of duck heads, tails and wings to stick onto pumpkins and the cubmaster painted them.  My wife made the beard hat for the boy last year but it was perfect for this event. 

20131005_140217_zpsbca061ac.jpg

The oldest in full dress uniform for band.  (He LOVES this as much as my middle boy loves wrestling), it's his sport and he does so well with it. 

20131005_164228_zps5f2da668.jpg

At the fall camporee, this is the latest modification to the tarp shelter my boy wanted to try.  Reall nice design.  6 stakes and 1 rope, no poles.  Worked great.

20131018_174342_zpse0a70c18.jpg

Me doing what I do best, Eatin LOL  (The boys cook their own food and made taco's in a bag).  Once they were full, I got all the leftovers and made a giant taco salad in the pan.  Leftovers?  Not on my watch!! 

20131019_114417_zps9f41145a.jpg

Went for a little hike today and tried something.  I dug a VERY dull knife I haven't used in a long time out of my bag of old knives and used it to make a partial try stick and a fuzz stick.  HOLY smokes batman.  Took me about 15 minutes to get this much done.  Most of my other knives are shaving sharp you just don't realize what a difference it makes.  This really lets you know how important it is to keep a knife sharp.  :thumbsup:

Got home and shapened the heck out of it.  I like this old knife.  The over-sized handle is actually pretty comfortable for fine work. (When it's sharp).

20131109_140802_zpsecc4d2bb.jpg

One of the days this holiday break I took the boys up and let them work on their fire building.  They experimented with different materials to see what worked best.  (Experience is one of the greatest teachers).  Didn't get a lot of pictures but here are a couple.

Collecting some materials

_DSC0591_zpsdcca5e22.jpg

Found some thistle heads, great natural tinder.

_DSC0533_zpsb61b1a8e.jpg

Great shot of the oldest boy running my swedish fire steel.  Sparks right on target.

_DSC0567_zpse3f83bd0.jpg

Middle boy feeding his fire after he got it going.  Great Job!

_DSC0578_zpsb429f52d.jpg