WildSurvive Forum
mistwalker

A Little Spring Green & Some Random Photos...

Just some random shots of spring color coming back into the world here, taken off hand between other shots at work.

DSC_0042.jpg

DSC_0044.jpg

DSC_0045.jpg

DSC_0104.jpg

DSC_0179.jpg

DSC_0418.jpg

DSC_0419.jpg

DSC_0429.jpg

DSC_0459.jpg

DSC_0460.jpg

DSC_0472.jpg

DSC_0462.jpg

DSC_0466.jpg

Any port in a storm...

DSC_0110.jpg

DSC_0213.jpg

What's that....?

DSC_0259.jpg

Is that bush...clicking?

DSC_0261.jpg

Tadpoles...lots of tadpoles

DSC_8954.jpg

DSC_8953.jpg

Playing around with a Storm Crow proto

DSC_8883.jpg

DSC_8894.jpg

DSC_8906.jpg

DSC_8916.jpg

DSC_8917.jpg

DSC_8941.jpg

DSC_8945.jpg

DSC_8930.jpg

DSC_9043.jpg

DSC_9054.jpg

DSC_9028.jpg

DSC_8965.jpg

DSC_8986.jpg

I was pretty sure spring was here...but this pretty well confirmed it for me...

DSC_9015.jpg

Hey Mistwalker, Awesome photos.  I haven't had a chance to go back and look at your stuff so if you've already explained your camera equipment please point me at it.

Otherwise, what gear are you using and what settings do you use for those macro shots?

Thanks

Thanks guys, glad you enjoyed the photos.

Hey Mistwalker, Awesome photos.  I haven't had a chance to go back and look at your stuff so if you've already explained your camera equipment please point me at it.

Otherwise, what gear are you using and what settings do you use for those macro shots?

Thanks

The camera is a Nikon D3000. As for the settings that varies a lot depending on the light. Sometimes I use the macro setting, sometimes the motion, other times I have to speed up the shutter and open the aperture, sometimes I shoot aperture priority, sometimes it's manual, it just depends on what's working best to get the shot I want.

I think those first pictures with the dewy leaves were some of your best ever!

Thanks man, actually it was raining, I love playing around with drops of water :)

THATS MY CAMERA!!!  LOL,  I bought my wife a D80 a number of years back (Still one of the best damn cameras I've ever seen), got her some new lenses and I found a deal on the body of the D3000 with a couple of lenses and picked it up myself.  I love the 3000, so much lighter than the D80.   

I need to spend more time with it.  I shoot manual sometimes, but lots of times I stick with the Macro as it seems to adjust for lighting better than I can manually.  Some of my best shots have been with AP, but it's always an accident LOL.

I always have the most trouble adjusting for light.  I get everything else going good and it's either too dark or too light.

Thanks

Doc

Whoops, I goofed, mines a D5000.  Sorry for the confusion.

Essentially the same camera with some extras (Like Video).

I almost got the 5000 but the main difference was the video capability and the ability to see the shot and shoot it while sighting with the lcd screen. I didn't want it for video and and shooting sighting with the lcd slows it down to about 1 shot per second or second and a half. I prefer not to shoot that way. I am thinking about getting a D7000 body next, I need larger file sizes and want faster shutter speeds. The new D3100s have larger files sizes than mine and video but I want to try the new 7000.

~ Mistwalker has that unique artistic eye...  he sees things that 95% of the population would walk right on by and never notice. I think he could take an instant camera from a 7-11, and come back with a collection of captured moments in nature, that most of us would never even think to aim our eyes at... much less focus in on.  :arigato:

btw.... now THOSE are some baby toad tadpoles up there! I've picked many out of my pond net in Spring trying to clean my pond. I used to feel SO guilty about losing even the tiniest life with my cleaning, but if I never cleaned it... everything would die. Lessons learned, and burned into my soul ... looking through the soggy leaf litter for baby guppies...  :nono:  I drove myself nuts every Spring.  :nono:  Nature taught me a lesson I needed to learn at that point in my mind. "you cannot save them all. Give them up to me, nothing ever really ends and nothing goes away, that doesn't come around again as day comes after day."  cool14.gif 

The video was the only reason I got the 5000 over the 3000, but I never shoot using the LCD, only the eyepiece.  (There is a setting to choose between the two)  I like the faster shots shooting the boys in sports so I get the full 4 frames per second that it does with the eyepiece.  The video is VERY good, much better than I anticipated.  But one of the lenses I got with it in the package deal was very cheap, but it was literally free with the body and other lens (based on retail price at the time), so I made out pretty good.  Also the 12.3 MP over the 10.2 was a pretty good jump in file size. 

I don't spend enough time playing with it though.  I really need to sit down every day for 1/2 an hour and experiment with the manual settings to get more comfortable with it.

Your shots are really amazing, and I REALLY want to get better.  Your an inspiration Mistwalker, Makes me want to get better.

~ Mistwalker has that unique artistic eye...  he sees things that 95% of the population would walk right on by and never notice. I think he could take an instant camera from a 7-11, and come back with a collection of captured moments in nature, that most of us would never even think to aim our eyes at... much less focus in on.  :arigato:

btw.... now THOSE are some baby toad tadpoles up there! I've picked many out of my pond net in Spring trying to clean my pond. I used to feel SO guilty about losing even the tiniest life with my cleaning, but if I never cleaned it... everything would die. Lessons learned, and burned into my soul ... looking through the soggy leaf litter for baby guppies...  :nono:  I drove myself nuts every Spring.  :nono:  Nature taught me a lesson I needed to learn at that point in my mind. "you cannot save them all. Give them up to me, nothing ever really ends and nothing goes away, that doesn't come around again as day comes after day."  cool14.gif

Thank you for the compliment Taken! My endeavor to actually be aware of my environment has bled over into my photography, I've found a new way to study it as well as a new hobby that I enjoy. I learned to track certain animals at an early age so attention to detail was very important, but I learned that then I was so focused on somethings I was oblivious to others. Sometimes I find things in cropped photos that I didn't even notice at the time, but then purposely seek out the next outing so that I can study them. Living in our modern societies and and running our rat races in our urbanized areas, removed from the natural world it's easy to get caught up in our own small circles and forget just how diverse and complex this little planet of ours actually is.

It's a harsh lesson to learn...finding out that some lives just can not be saved, but that is the way it was meant to be.

Your an inspiration Mistwalker, Makes me want to get better.

Thanks, those are words I always enjoy hearing/reading. I like inspiring people to challenge themselves.

love the pictures excepally the bugs

Thank you Kim, I'm glad you enjoyed them. I have found I really like studying the insect population.

tadpools reminds me of going tadpool hunting with my cusin steve and john we caught some and dumped them in someones pond I think she wanted them but not sure it was fun

Great photos, Mist!  We're catching up to you up here, the trees are just starting that green blush on the hills.  The redbuds and dogwoods are blooming big time, too!

Mist, another question or 2.  Do you shoot in RAW or JPEG, and do you do any post processing other than cropping?

Thanks

Great photos, Mist!  We're catching up to you up here, the trees are just starting that green blush on the hills.  The redbuds and dogwoods are blooming big time, too!

Thanks Bob, we're almost all green and blooms here right now.

Mist, another question or 2.  Do you shoot in RAW or JPEG, and do you do any post processing other than cropping?

Thanks

For threads I only shoot in standard jpeg form, and nothing other than cropping or lighten or darken a bit. I shoot in raw for my articles for the larger file sizes, but it's too much of a pain to edit raw for a thread.

Thanks Mist.  I have been playing and starting to get the know the M, A and P settings fairly well.  Still need to work on lighting though, in bright light I get good shots, but my low light or overcast stuff is still not that good.  Practice, practice, practice. (GOT to love digital for this  :hugegrin:). 

Thanks Mist.  I have been playing and starting to get the know the M, A and P settings fairly well.  Still need to work on lighting though, in bright light I get good shots, but my low light or overcast stuff is still not that good.  Practice, practice, practice. (GOT to love digital for this  :hugegrin:).

In low light I seem to have better luck getting the shots I want using shutter priority and slowing down the shutter and opening up the apperature. It gets tricky with shutter speeds lower than 30, it takes a good steady hand, and speeds lower than 20 get even harder without a tripod or some stable base. It's like shooting a rifle for distance...breathing technique is really important.

I picked up a little "Tree Hugger" tripod for use with the mini camera, but it fits the big boy too.  I can wrap it around a tree trunk and it holds very still for me.  But yeah, just like a rifle,  I find myself pushing the button slow and "Getting Surprised" by the break LOL  I think I might even invest in one of the remote triggers for it.  If I can find one cheap enough on ebay.  This is the tripod I have.  http://biz.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4512877&CatId=1581

In my experimenting, I hadn't gotten down that low yet, I'm still in the low 40's, I'm basically taking the same picture 10 types at various settings and recording which one works best, but there are literary 100,000 combinations between the 3 primary settings  scared011.gif. 

Thanks for all the help, your going to make a photographer out of me eventually. :thumbsup:

Doc

I picked up a little "Tree Hugger" tripod for use with the mini camera, but it fits the big boy too.  I can wrap it around a tree trunk and it holds very still for me.  But yeah, just like a rifle,  I find myself pushing the button slow and "Getting Surprised" by the break LOL  I think I might even invest in one of the remote triggers for it.  If I can find one cheap enough on ebay.  This is the tripod I have.  http://biz.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4512877&CatId=1581

In my experimenting, I hadn't gotten down that low yet, I'm still in the low 40's, I'm basically taking the same picture 10 types at various settings and recording which one works best, but there are literary 100,000 combinations between the 3 primary settings  scared011.gif. 

Thanks for all the help, your going to make a photographer out of me eventually. :thumbsup:

Doc

I have a similar Gorilla pod and a full sized tri pod, I use both sometimes. The remotes here at the camera store are about $25.00. I need to pick one up myself, but I just shoot off hand most of the time anyway.

I want to pick up one of the ultra-lite mid sized tripods to strap to my pack,  I bought a MONSTER Proline for my wife and I back when I got her camera (only one tall enough for me to stand up and shoot straight up in the air with 8|.  Gets the camera up to almost 7 foot).  But it weights about 18 lbs so I NEVER take it anywhere I don't plan to just sit and shoot. 

I want to pick up one of the ultra-lite mid sized tripods to strap to my pack,  I bought a MONSTER Proline for my wife and I back when I got her camera (only one tall enough for me to stand up and shoot straight up in the air with 8|.  Gets the camera up to almost 7 foot).  But it weights about 18 lbs so I NEVER take it anywhere I don't plan to just sit and shoot. 

What about something like this?

http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/tools/ecee/?cj=true&cpg=cj&ref=&CJURL=&CJID=1909525

I have a Cabela's hiking staff that the top handle screws off and you have a camera mount.  I usually just screw the camera on,  stick it in the ground, adjust the height, set the time and fire photon torpedoes.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Alaskan-Guide-Hiking-Staff/732512.uts