WildSurvive Forum
Sign in to follow this  
mistwalker

New ESEE Advanced Fire Kit

I picked up a new fire kit to test out. I have been waiting on this thing for over a year since they released the concept drawings. Just a few photos now, but I'll edit this into an actual review of it in a few days.

DSC_0825.jpg

DSC_0826.jpg

DSC_0856.jpg

DSC_0848.jpg

DSC_0858.jpg

DSC_0853.jpg

DSC_0831.jpg

DSC_0873.jpg

DSC_9089.jpg

DSC_9092.jpg

DSC_9091.jpg

DSC_9083.jpg

DSC_9085.jpg

DSC_9087.jpg

DSC_9088.jpg

DSC_9096.jpg

DSC_9103.jpg

DSC_9098.jpg

DSC_9099.jpg

Before anybody else says it, I will. Yes the MSRP is enough to send a person into sticker shock. The dealer network will have better prices, and those still aren't cheap. It isn't a cheap piece of gear because it is far from cheaply made. I imagine Lisa at Two Wolves Outdoor will probably have the best price other than possibly SMKW. I personally like dealing with Lisa, she is a great person and awesome to deal with. I bought this one from Dale at The-Knife-Connection because I also like dealing with Dale. The MSRP is $98.88 (MSRPs are always high!) I paid $64.00 for it and have no regrets for my uses, and I plan to buy a few more. It is very well made, the machine work is top notch, and it's more than just a "fire steel". Whether it is worth this much to you depends on how seriously you take your outdoor gear, how much time you spend in the bush. For humid environments where you sweat a lot or in salt water environments it's great. I like keeping my emergency equipment on my person not in my pack. I have ruined a few ferro rods here due to sweat. That's why I like sealed systems such as this.

+1 on Twowolves.

I have the older RAT cutlery model before they became ESEE and it's pretty good. This is looks much improved on. I look forward to your review.

Mistwalker, your gonna be the death of me with all these knife reviews.  I now have a "Short List" about 30 knives long LOL.

+1 on Twowolves.

I have the older RAT cutlery model before they became ESEE and it's pretty good. This is looks much improved on. I look forward to your review.

Yeah, Lisa is awesome people. I have a couple of those...I've bought several...and they are great kits. I just like how this one seals the rod and has much more storage room for tinder or what have you. It'll take me a few days to do the review.

Mistwalker, your gonna be the death of me with all these knife reviews.  I now have a "Short List" about 30 knives long LOL.

Hmmm, well luckily for you this one isn't a knife review...though you will see some of my knives in it I'm sure  :hugegrin:

Tell me what your primary needs are for knives and share the list and I bet I can narrow it down some for you  ;)

ROLF,  Whoops, posted on the wrong thread.  (Was suposed to go on the delta review).

I don't really "Need" any more knives :hugegrin:    I have more than I can really even use :blushing: ,  Although I am in the market for an EDC, IWB carry fixed blade at 4 inches or less.  I'm liking the Esee 3 and maybe the Esee 4.   

I have my CRKT as an EDC folder and I love it, but I've always preferred a good solid heavy fixed blade for heavy duty work.  High Carbon that holds an edge well.  I don't know knife steels very well,  that Delta looks great but may be just a tad bit TOO heavy, (But for an urban knife it has some applications thinner knives don't).

I like a REALLY deep curve on a spear point (Like the CRKT M21-14SFG).  I'm not a big fan of straight edges,  they have their application, but I just tend to work with the curve of a blade a whole lot more.

I am looking forward to this review also.  :thumbup:

Nothin wrong with payin a steep price for quality gear Mist. You get what you pay for. I might have to own one of those... :)    I'm with you Doc I like a curved blade too.

I added a few more photos.

I am in the market for an EDC, IWB carry fixed blade at 4 inches or less.  I'm liking the Esee 3 and maybe the Esee 4.   

I'll do a post on my RC-3 and DPx HEST, the only two knives I have that stock sheaths work well for IWB (though I usually just carry inside belt) in another post in K,A,&B

Nothin wrong with payin a steep price for quality gear Mist. You get what you pay for.

My thoughts as well, most of the time.

Well...it's pretty tough. I dropped the compass end on a tile floor and it bounced, ricocheted off a steel chair and into a brick wall. It still works  :)