WildSurvive Forum

Here's a question that I'm sure will bring a host of answers.

What item have you ever forgotten to pack and take on a hike or a bushcraft outting that once out on the trail realized you needed?

You mean besides more beer?

That is one of those things you do once, then never again.  I tend to be over packed if anything.

This happens to me most frequently when I am out geocaching and forget a long grabber or something and need it to get a cache or get a log sheet out of a nano cache.  Or worse, forget a pen or pencil to sign a cache.  Worst case, I do a "DNA signature".

Most of the time, the thing that I forget is the specific knife I wanted to play with out in the woods, but usually manage to get by with a folder or different one.

Water is the only thing I've ever forgotten that I regretted.  I've forgotten just about every other piece of equipment (Tent, Tent poles, knives, cooking utensil, underwear etc, etc, you name it, I'VE forgotten it at some point in time LOL)

But the one time I filled my boda bag and left it in the car accidentally (I hadn't started carrying two extra bottles of water in my pack yet back then).  It was a beautiful (Probably around 60 or 65) degree day when I started out, but after close to 2 hours it was up to 80.  I reached for my water bag and "CRAP",  I cut my hike short right then and turned around and went back to the car.  By the time I got back to the car it was over 90 degrees and I was badly dehydrated.    That is one mistake I will never make again FOR SURE.

Guest smallgamehunter

rain gear

found out i needed it 7 miles into a 12 mile loop

rain gear

found out i needed it 7 miles into a 12 mile loop

yep. Did the same. It was december but warm enoughe it rained. Got soaked but fortunatly i was only two miles from the csr on the way back.

water for sure  :upset: and I don't seem to be learning that lesson yet wacky078.gif oh and my whistle oh and raingear too but that one is ok I love walking in the rain

I didn't bring nearly enough water when Ant and I went fishing last summer.  We went through a 5-gallon jug in 24 hours.  I was too paranoid to try boiled lake water since we were right next to a landfill.  :grin:

I forgot everything but a knife and an aluminum canteen a few times.... oh wait,  that was on purpose.  moose0024.gif

Yep, now that's the way to hike !

Cash to pay the parking fee...I can't tell you how many times I've scrounged enough change from my truck to fill the pay-envelope. LOL I know they hate me when I do that.