WildSurvive Forum
Holly

"When you were a kid..."

When you were a kid, did you like to play "survival" games or Army, anything that involved using your wits and things at hand so you could be "the hero"?

My brother and I used to play that we were the only survivors on a deserted island.  He was "Mafatu" (the boy from Armstrong Sperry's book "Call it Courage" and I was "Karana" (the girl from Scott O'Dell's book "Island of the Blue Dolphins")

We would find long sticks and sharpen the ends of them by rubbing them against the asphalt on our street.  Then we'd have the sharpest spears possible.  We'd practice throwing them at Dad's apples in the mini orchard in our side yard.

We spent HOURS being "survivalists".  It was great fun!  :woot:

I was always doing something along those lines. I was raised near the woods and was always building shelters and playing army.  We camped out a lot as kids(by ourselves). Parents would die these days before they would let there kids camp out like we did. I remember looking for indian arrowheads in the fresh plowed fields in the spring. We had a lot of caves in our area. So we spent a lot of time around them and rock houses. We carried knives most of the time and alway had BB guns nearby. I remember making fish hooks our of safety pins and fishing with them and actually catiching fish. Man how times have changed. Kinda sad to think back on stuff like this and know that kids today will never get to experience the kind of freedoms we did.

You just brought back a lot of memories for me, KW.  In the summer, we'd leave the house at 7:00 am and not come back inside except to eat lunch and dinner.  We had to come home after dinner when the street lights came on.  Other than that, we were in the woods or down at the creek catching salamanders and crawdads and tadpoles or fishing in the little lake down the road or playing Fort or Army in the neighborhood.  I miss those days too.

~ We used to play pioneer family. We had our homestead at the edge of the woods.  We did the same thing Holly, we'd sharpen sticks and make shelters using fallen branches and stuff. We'd sweep off the dirt with a branch with leaves on it. We had pear trees in our yards because the neighborhood used to be a pear orchard, so we'd gather them and eat them. I lived outside as a kid. In the Summers we'd sleep outside too, a lot. Even when it was freezing cold. My friends and I would dig down in the snow and pretend we were wolves in a den. (The lady next door used to raise Siberian Huskys and I always loved it when they'd start their howling song up. I love when my husky howls... it gives me goose bumps, it's so primal sounding.) Holly, you and I would've had fun playing as kids. I NEVER wanted to play the stupid stuff some of the other girls did. There was this girl in my neighborhood who wanted to pretend to be captured and she would wait for her imaginary "boy friend" to save her.  :woot:  I told her I was saving myself, and I left the storage room she had locked herself in. Needless to say she didn't want to play with ME again.  I was catching frogs, turtles, and crawdads and lizards on up into highschool, until that one day I was standing there barefoot, in the creek with a bucket in my hand turning over rocks and that really hot guy I had a crush on showed up on the bank, and he was looking at me like WHAT are you doing?  wacky115.gif  I was mortified.  sad042.gif 

I never played with Barbie dolls or played dress-up.  I was too busy climbing huge oak trees and hanging like a little monkey from the uppermost branches.  :rofl:

gee's I rode my bike alot  when I was little but I was a shy and timid person so.....

~ so you didn't make friends easily?  :unsure: Well you would've fit right in to my group. I was a very strange and eccentric kind of kid, who could sometimes make friends easily, but they bored the hell out of me, so I would leave them on a whim. There were very few who could keep my attention for years. (maybe because of my ADHD)  sad042.gif  My imagination was addictive, and I could have us all fighting dinosaurs, or Indians, or aliens.... all with the spin of a story concocted in my own head.  :nono:  I ruled the story board of childhood games.

I created a Faery land and as a child... I ruled it. cool14.gif

I created a Faery land and as a child... I ruled it. cool14.gif

And that's ANY different from now, how?  :grin:

I'm perfectly content living inside your imagination.  It's more fun than living in the real world!  :P

I had a good mix of experiences as a kid.  Until I was 9 we lived in Columbus, OH and from the earliest part of the day we were out on bikes or doing something outside.  We were definitely the "Kool Aid House" on the block, and Mom always had to call us in for supper.  When we moved it was the same, only we included BB guns, packs, gear, etc.  Fished a heckuva lot at the pond on the old farm, bluegills all day!.  I had a place on top of the hill behind our house that had some old limestone rocks piled up that sort of made a natural fort.  I had a great view from there of the hollows on both sides.

One summer, we all got it into our heads to play "Spy".  We used to hide in bushes and behind cars to observe our neighbors.  We wrote all of our observations in special "spy notebooks" that we bought at K-Mart. 

We never did find any Russian undercover agents.  :nono:

It's not... I was just trying to find a nice way to tell all of you that you really don't exist. You're all just living inside of my imagination.  :smoke:

I reject your reality and substitute my own.  lol

One summer, we all got it into our heads to play "Spy".  We used to hide in bushes and behind cars to observe our neighbors.  We wrote all of our observations in special "spy notebooks" that we bought at K-Mart. 

We never did find any Russian undercover agents.  :nono:

I did the exact same thing.  8| but I read those books Harriet The Spy in third grade, so I know thats where the idea came from. Harriet was always taking notes on everyone she saw. 

You can't. Because your reality only exists in my imagination.

I can because I want to.  Neener neener neener neener.    taunt12.gif

...besides, reality is for those who can't handle drugs.

I did the exact same thing.  8| but I read those books Harriet The Spy in third grade, so I know thats where the idea came from. Harriet was always taking notes on everyone she saw. 

I was totally into "The Hardy Boys" and "Nancy Drew" books back then.  :grin:

Lol, as a kid my imagination was my best friend. I used to pretend all sorts of adventures from living on deserted islands, actually having islands in the Chattahoochee River to play on that could be accessed easily by wading and swimming, on to being on hobbit adventures through treacherous lands. 

when we were kids we could tie a peice of string to a stick and play with it for hours, hell we were going to wright a book  "1001 uses for string on a stick"  it was the ultimate toy.

I remember reading "My Side of the Mountain" in 5th grade, then becoming very interested in being able to survive.  From then on I always had a pocket knife with me and while on the farm, a pair of pliers on my belt.    After that, I read "Skills for Taming the Wilds" by Bradford Angier.  Growing up on the farm, I was always outside doing things, but really enjoyed then hunting season opened in the fall.  I would walk for miles, sometimes spending almost the entire days on weekends out walking through our fields and our neighbors fields.  Occasionally, I would also shoot something.

It's not... I was just trying to find a nice way to tell all of you that you really don't exist. You're all just living inside of my imagination.  :smoke:

That happens to me when I forget and drink the expired egg nog.

Lol, as a kid my imagination was my best friend. I used to pretend all sorts of adventures from living on deserted islands, actually having islands in the Chattahoochee River to play on that could be accessed easily by wading and swimming, on to being on hobbit adventures through treacherous lands. 

~  :huh:  You mean you AREN'T some Wizard out there on a Hobbit adventure in treacherous lands?  8| 

when we were kids we could tie a peice of string to a stick and play with it for hours, hell we were going to wright a book  "1001 uses for string on a stick"  it was the ultimate toy.

~ we used to get a rubber snake, tie it to a string, and pull it across the road when a car came by at night!  happy097.gif  They could never figure out how it kept moving even though they ran over it again and again.  :woot: