WildSurvive Forum
Holly

"When you were a kid..."

We camped out in the yard.My sister and I. Ive always been on a farm and the woods were and still is my home. We loved summer rain storms and scared the hell out of my mother by going right out in it. I loved the rain on the puddles and the smell of fresh rain. We would put a blanket over the clothes line to make a tent on dry days. Bricks on the four corners. Sometimes just put one blanket down and cover up with another one and hide safe from the world. We always had farm dogs running lose and they would come sleep with us at night. Wake us up barking at things we couldnt see or hear but forever guarding us from all creatures big and small.

I remember reading "My Side of the Mountain" in 5th grade, then becoming very interested in being able to survive.

Another one of my favorite books!

~  :huh:  You mean you AREN'T some Wizard out there on a Hobbit adventure in treacherous lands?  8|

I don't know lol, sometimes I wonder.

I spent years in exile before I wandered my way home, I always identified more with Strider than any of the other characters. These days I wish I could find the shire and join the hobbits in their simple life.

String on a stick!  I remember it well, you can whip it, you can twirl it, you can use it like a bull whip, you can tie up small animals, you can make a snare, etc, etc, etc,  It went on for hours. 

This thread has me almost in tears of nostalgia thinking back to those wonderful days.  Riding bikes out to central park to swim, hiking down to "The trestle" to hang out and have adventures in and near the creek,  Being able to hear my mothers whistle from anywhere in town to know it was time to go home.  Surfing on the seat of my bike.  our "Bicycle" gang LOL, (What a hoot).  Dried mud-pie "Grenades",  BB gun wars.    Gravel wars (Painful but fun),  and APPLE WARS with the nasty apples that had been on the ground WAY too long.  Mom HATED that one.

Thanks all for bringing back some awesome memories!!