WildSurvive Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Muddy Pete

Urban garden

I live in a condo on the second floor. I used to live on the first floor, but that's another story. A few years back I started growing tomatoes in a flower pot on my deck. I have a little garden down on the common grounds that we mostly grew flowers to make the place look nice.

This year I'm going to replant my tomatoes and look into some edible flowers for the garden.

I live in a condo on the second floor. I used to live on the first floor, but that's another story. A few years back I started growing tomatoes in a flower pot on my deck. I have a little garden down on the common grounds that we mostly grew flowers to make the place look nice.

This year I'm going to replant my tomatoes and look into some edible flowers for the garden.

I've seen a lot of things grown in small pots and buckets. Just requires an adjustment to watering and feeding.

I used to have nusticiums( is that speller right) there spicy and get a little but but they should be fine in a pot

Muddy you can do peppers or anything in a pot or bucket... Maybe a window sill planter? I have strawberries in a plastic bag with holes in it for the vine to come out... Works great :)

How could tomatoes get away from you

Planted too many and the vines started growing out of the pot and p the railing. We have a apartment full of horror movie nuts. I was creeped out that I would answer my phone at work and it would be the tomatoes on the other end.

Muddy you can do peppers or anything in a pot or bucket... Maybe a window sill planter? I have strawberries in a plastic bag with holes in it for the vine to come out... Works great :)

I had not thought of strawberries. I like it.

Make some smothies with them( never tried this before if you tell me how they taste!)

Make some smothies with them( never tried this before if you tell me how they taste!)

A liitle fruit, a little ice cream some honey. Good to go.

Planted too many and the vines started growing out of the pot and p the railing. We have a apartment full of horror movie nuts. I was creeped out that I would answer my phone at work and it would be the tomatoes on the other end.

You do know that you can trim back your tomatoes, right?

...then find a copy of "Day of the Triffids".

You do know that you can trim back your tomatoes, right?

...then find a copy of "Day of the Triffids".

I hadn't gotten to that chapter yet. 

I hadn't gotten to that chapter yet. 

We usually trim out the "suckers" - little leaves that start in the joints of the main branches.  You can also trim off the branches after they get so long.  Trimming off some of the branches with blooms will give you larger tomatoes.

We usually trim out the "suckers" - little leaves that start in the joints of the main branches.  You can also trim off the branches after they get so long.  Trimming off some of the branches with blooms will give you larger tomatoes.

Cool.

you can buy those upside down tomatoe planter and they have strawberries too I just moved to a apartment with a small deck so I want to try it

you can buy those upside down tomatoe planter and they have strawberries too I just moved to a apartment with a small deck so I want to try it

i actaly red some where where a guy used a bucket to make his own up side down planters he drilled a hole big enough to fit the all ready sprouting pland used a pice of foam tobhold it in place then filled it with potting soil. He also said to place a secondary recular planted plant under it so anny watter dripping out from upside down plant will watter the one below it

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

do those even work?

Yep... They work good too. Most people look at garden in the square tilled up version. You can have a great garden on your window sills or hanging on the side of your house. Anything that'll hold soil and support the mature plant will work.

2 years ago we did the upside down strawberry thing, It worked ok the first year, but we transplanted them to the side of the house and last year they had 4X the production and this year with all the new shoots we are expecting a windfall of strawberries (Just got to keep the 5, 11, 13 and 41 year olds out of the garden (At least my wife has some self control  :hugegrin: ).

2 years ago we did the upside down strawberry thing, It worked ok the first year, but we transplanted them to the side of the house and last year they had 4X the production and this year with all the new shoots we are expecting a windfall of strawberries (Just got to keep the 5, 11, 13 and 41 year olds out of the garden (At least my wife has some self control  :hugegrin: ).

You will need to thin them after a couple of years, taking out about 1/3 each year to allow for new plants.  Otherwise, they will form an almost solid mat of plants and your production will go down.

Yep,  I was told every 3rd year was high production cycle for strawberries and to clear them the way you mentioned.  Can't wait to see what we get this year.   

I think it is more a matter of spacing.  Taking out a third of the plants each year also give you a new bed every three years.

It does hurt to throw out all of those healthy strawberry plants....