WildSurvive Forum

I want to try throwing knives is it best to get some cheap knives or get really expensive ones?

I want to try throwing knives is it best to get some cheap knives or get really expensive ones?

I'd start with cheap ones... Your gonna miss lots of times and damage things. Ask razor sharp... He throws knives and axes.

Called hawk throwing... It's not hard once you learn the technique and right distance.

i personally dont like cheapo throwers. they tend to bend and the points dull easy. i have a couple in this picture that are cheapos but there heavy and thick. so they hold up well. the cold steel true flight throwers are my favorites. great balance, you can throw by blade or handle (important later on when you learn your distances) and they are usually less than 20 bucks apiece. there good enough steel that they actually make decent camp knives to.  im currantly just poping in a movie to watch with my son but ill pop on later and try and give you some good tips and info. there is a thread somewhere on here that i gave a good discription about throwing. ill try to find it for you in a bit.  good luck man.

id start with a cheap set though, you will eventually want better ones but it wont hurt so much when they hit on there side and bend.  ive made a couple to.  once you are sticking consistently then maby start looking for something better. you never need expensive knives to throw. you will eventually hit the other knife and damage them. that dosnt bother you so much when they didnt cost you 2 days pay.  :P

Can I throw at trees? Until I get some could I use an old pocket knife?

You can... BUT... It's kinda dangerous... They can break and parts go flying in any direction. And the best you can get usually is one turn in a throw. I don't recommend it though.

The knife will spin when you throw it... Guys who are good at it can get several revolutions in a throw. A pocket knife isn't balanced right to be thrown.

The distance away from the target... U tube has some good videos to learn from

DO NOT THROW FOLDING POCKET KNIVES!  scared011.gif  you will break them, you will also harm a tree if it isn't dead. honestly the best target to start with is a hay bail stood up. the knives wont bounce back at you like they could on a solid tree. if you cant get a hay bail then layers of cardboard taped together will work for a while. make it at least an inch thick.  you want at least a full tang knife preferably without handles on it. they will break.  throwing technique varies but the only real secret is consistency. you dont want the knife to spin any faster than it has to. when you throw a knife it spins. if you throw by the blade it will make 1/2 rotation at a certain range (about 5-7 feet depending on knife leintgh and wrist control. it is far safer to start with a handle throw. the knife will make one full rotation at about10-12 feet (depending on thrower and knife size. you want to throw with your whole arm kind of like a windmill. not snap it with your elbow and wrist like a baseball. that speeds up the spin.  use a couple knives of the same size will help you learn consistency without running back and fourth to the target everytime.  now once you have a consistent rotation and you find the range that seams to work best for you then practice practice practice.  just dont wear yourself out. if you do you will get sloppy and loose consistency. when you can throw and stick the knife at that range most every throw then it is time to move back. double the distance then step forward 1 long step. this is a good starting point. do not change anything, try to keep the exact same technique every time.  if it is not sticking take a small step back or forward to try to match the spin. its just like golf, bowling, darts any sport that you try to get the same stroke everytime. the more you work at it the better you will get.  hope this helps and yes, check out youtube, lots of great videos on there.  like this one.  :hugegrin:

thats my boy  :blush:

7 Steps away is proper for hawk to get a full rotation, 6 for a proper throwing knife.  I like light knives for throwing better.  I don't have a lot of upper body strength and the heavier knifes just don't work for me.  I throw a knife that is similar to what is called a beaver tail.  Bought it for 10 bucks and it's great.

With hawks you could buy a cold steel trail hawk to throw and thats only 20 bucks. 

The important part of throwing is form.  I use a form like throwing a baseball, but softer. 

You can throw at trees, but a hawk block is best.  You can make one with an old stump very easily.

Throwing knives can be very dangerous.  I have almost lost fingers and toes when they can sailing back at me after taking a bad bounce.  You also have to pay attention to your distance.  I have a friend who's dad was throwing knives.  He had a large knife and he was throwing and each time he'd get a little closer.  Eventually he threw it and it took a bad bounce.  It came back and stuck in his side.  He patched it up as well as he could himself.  Next week he was in a store and felt something wet in his boot.  It was blood leaking down from his poorly bandaged wound.

Keep safety in mind.  Don't use pocket knifes. Use a fixed knife with a full tang.  Preferably one meant for throwing.

HTH!

I picked up this Cold Steel throwing knife for less then $25. Its WAY too heavy and a little too long but theres no way your going to break this thing. Actually in self defense just throw it hard, it should stop the attacker no matter where or how it hits him.  :dead:

31eUslSO-GL._SL500_AA300_.jpg.2c55ca8691f3f8afe713f973a0df9da3.jpg

31eUslSO-GL._SL500_AA300_.jpg.ec6b893aaa81e62cefb2b91e86816fa5.jpg

I picked up this Cold Steel throwing knife for less then $25. Its WAY too heavy and a little too long but theres no way your going to break this thing. Actually in self defense just throw it hard, it should stop the attacker no matter where or how it hits him.  :dead:

to long? to heavy?  there my favorites swede. ive got two of them. they are the easyest knives to throw that ive ever had. ballanced well and you can throw by blade or handle depending on your distance.  i would never throw a knife at a combatent in real life though unless i had another one in my hand. why arm the enemy  :P