WildSurvive Forum

In police training "when to shoot and when not to shoot" The cop comes across a guy holding a woman in a laundra mat. He pulls his gun and yells at the man to drop his knife. Instead the attacker throws his knife at the cop. The cop fires his weapon killing the attacker. The cop is found guilty of killing an unarmed man.

As long as the attacker still posed an imminent threat to the hostage or the officer (Regardless of the discarded knife), then the officer has every right to defend himself and the hostage.  (The attacker has already shown a blatant disregard for the safety of both the hostage and the officer) and there is no way for the officer to know if the attacker is still armed. (2nd knife, pocket pistol etc).  Therefore, in most free states (California, Illinois, NY and several others not included) I could see the case going down as justifiable homicide.  The aforementioned states are pretty good at prosecuting the victims so my guess is had this been based on a real incident, then it probably occurred in one of those states.

I have to agree with Razor, I haven't thrown in a long time, but I like that cold steel (I've thrown a few similar designs),  medium Heavy and balanced are good.  I never could get the hang of smaller lighter knives,  Just seemed to over rotate a lot.  One of my favorites was an old cheap POS United boot knife,  That thing was easy to throw and easy to stick.

Although if I'm gonna throw a knife at an attacker, I'd rather it be a whole lawnmower blade.  Or maybe a chunk of rebar.  Just whatever slows them down long enough for the xD to come out.

The name of the class was called " When to shoot and when not to shoot". The emphasis of the training was the responsibility of having a fire arm and the consequences of using it. The very last thing you want to do is pull your firearm because then you have committed your self to using it. You have to be aware of the consequences before you get involved in a dangerous situation with no real good out come. Thats why police have different weapons at their disposal. The courts and the public in recent times have mostly given the officer the benefit of doubt.   

My brief decision to help our small town with law enforcement because I was asked has been placed in the "what was I thinking" part of my life. I found two separate categories of people who get into law enforcement. Those who have a passion to help the public in need and protect the ones who need protecting and the ones who like the power they have over others. Believe me they exist. I found the State Police to be the best at what they do and the level of professionalism drops quickly on down the ladder.