WildSurvive Forum

Gavins Point Dam, the last and smallest of four dams on the Missouri River, located near Yankton, South Dakota.  The river forms the border between South Dakota and Nebraska.

Last year, during the flooding on the Missouri River, this dam was in the news multiple times.

To give an idea of the size of the pool behind the dam:

- Current pool elevation (May 23, 2012) is 1206.23 feet

- Normal operating level is 1204.5 feet above sea level.

- The peak reached in 2011 was 1209.7 feet - only three feet above the current level.

The pool behind the dam extends 15-20 miles up stream.

Normal release rate is 23,500 CFS

In 2011, release rate was up to 150,000 cubic feet per second (enough to  fill 1.1 million one-gallon milk jugs in a second).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pPg-Xv6MfA

Gavins Point Dam

Country     United States

Location   Yankton, South Dakota

Coordinates 42°51'43?N 97°29'06?WCoordinates: 42°51'43?N 97°29'06?W

Status     Operational

Construction began 1952

Opening date 1957

Owner(s)     U.S. Army Corps of Engineers

Dam and spillways

Type of dam Embankment, rolled-earth and chalk-fill

Height       74 ft (23 m)

Length       8,700 ft (2,652 m)

Crest width 35 ft (11 m)

Base width   850 ft (259 m)

Volume       7,000,000 cu yd (5,351,884 m3)

Impounds      Missouri River

Reservoir

Creates         Lewis and Clark Lake

Capacity         492,000 acre·ft (606,873,064 m3)

Catchment area   79,480 sq mi (723,850 km2)

Surface area     31,400 acres (127 km2)

Max. water depth  45 ft (14 m)

Reservoir length  25 mi (40 km)

Power station

Turbines           3 x 44 MW

Installed capacity 132 MW

Visited here this afternoon.

On February 2, 1959, three early legends of Rock & Roll performed here for the last time.  Following their show, they boarded a plane and took off, which crashed about two miles from the airport early following morning.

This performance venue draws top name acts from all over the world, including Santana, REO Speedwagon, Kansas, Alice Cooper, The Doobie Brothers, BB King, ZZ Top, Martina McBride, Lynryd Skynyrd, America, and many others.

I have been here a few times before, and it is always is a deeply touching experience.

Where.thumb.jpg.a6e3ee1bc2ad2cdfb29a92cb9073b7c4.jpg

Where2.thumb.jpg.908b676f31e6bfd80ba619f92d58e6da.jpg

~ The  Surf Ballroom and Museum?  Clear Lake Iowa? 

Absolutely correct, Taken!  A very interesting place and to able to experience such a piece of rock and roll history is amazing.  We had about 20 kids from the high school band on the trip who will be doing their half time show based on early rock and roll songs. 

There is a room back stage that the performers use to get ready.  Many of them have signed the wall.  You can spend hours finding autographs of people you have heard.

ZZTop.thumb.jpg.a2a56dce483ac36ba6d24e39e40733ce.jpg

Surf.thumb.jpg.34df075b19deee42946c3ddd5b6e55ef.jpg

Something else I learned on my trip to Clear Lake last week....

Waylon Arnold Jennings; June 15, 1937 – February 13, 2002) was an American country music singer, songwriter, and musician. Jennings began playing guitar at eight and began performing at twelve on KVOW radio. He formed a band, The Texas Longhorns. Jennings worked as a D.J on KVOW, KDAV, KYTI and KLLL.

In 1958, Buddy Holly arranged Jennings' first recording session, of "Jolie Blon" and "When Sin Stops (Love Begins)". Holly hired him to play bass. During the Winter Dance Party Tour, in Clear Lake, Iowa, Holly chartered a plane to arrive to the next venue. Jennings gave up his seat in the plane to J. P. Richardson, who was suffering from a cold. The flight that carried Holly, Richardson and Ritchie Valens crashed, on the day later known as The Day the Music Died.

No pictures yet...

I live in the Central Time Zone, but am in a different time zone this week. I am near a large body of salt water. 

A beautiful morning here.  I just got back from a run but had to stop a couple of times because I was getting short of breath.

A t-shirt to the first correct answer with the city and state.

I was gonna guess something based on elevation due to the "Short of breath" comment, but the combination of salt water and high altitude don't mix. LOL

LOL ....could be that I'm an old fat guy.

I wonder....could there possibly be additional clues posted elsewhere?  :hmm:

No pictures yet...

I live in the Central Time Zone, but am in a different time zone this week. I am near a large body of salt water. 

A beautiful morning here.  I just got back from a run but had to stop a couple of times because I was getting short of breath.

A t-shirt to the first correct answer with the city and state.

Salt Lake City Utah?

Provo Utah (home of the UVU Wolverines?)  My knowledge of sports teams is so terrible as to be non existant LOL

Provo Utah (home of the UVU Wolverines?)  My knowledge of sports teams is so terrible as to be non existant LOL

You are correct!!!  Your knowledge of sports teams is terrible.

....oh, so close, but no.

Went to this park after working today, about 10-12 miles from where I am staying this week. 

The falls are 607 feet high.  I climbed up to the top of the scree section, about 300 feet.  A gorgeous area.

The names of the city and state where I am staying have the same number of letters in each, the same number of vowels and consonants, and none of the letters are repeated.

Where3.thumb.jpg.5317bb75c40e705ed49abd8725bebc69.jpg

Where1.thumb.jpg.c830dc3e17174fde6bdd7cbcf529569a.jpg

Where2.thumb.jpg.9519481300eb0635354b06d23284418e.jpg

Those would be Stewart Falls, so I would guess with 4 letters in the name, you are in Orem, Utah

Sorry, but this is Bridal Veil Falls...Stewart Falls is farther up, but I might have to venture that way again, looks to be worth the trip.

But you are correct with the city and state.  Good job (even though you might have made this one a bit more difficult that it should have been...lol).

Let me know what size shirt you'd like.

Wow, Bridal and Stewart look so similar.  (I can see the difference now that I've compared them).  I use a twisted "Anti Logic" and arrived at my destination, via the path less traveled (because I was lost LOL)

I really enjoyed the "hunt"  :hugegrin:  Haven't done anything like that in a long time.  But it was great fun.  Looking forward to the next challenge.

I wear either a XXL extra long or a 3XL, but you don't need to send anything.  The game was it's own reward.