WildSurvive Forum
mistwalker

An Afternoon At Half Moon Ridge

Well, my life has been hectic, but I did manage to make it to the Becker Head gathering for an afternoon and evening hanging out with Ethan Becker and several friends.

DSC_1710.jpg

DSC_2034.jpg

DSC_1683.jpg

A friend presenting evidence that he really can tear up an anvil with a rubber hammer...

DSC_1705.jpg

There were chics with guns...

DSC_1740.jpg

DSC_1764.jpg

DSC_1767.jpg

Guys with guns...

DSC_1734.jpg

DSC_1772c.jpg

DSC_2014.jpg

DSC_2016.jpg

DSC_2005.jpg

DSC_1768.jpg

Some tomahawk throwing...

DSC_1964.jpg

DSC_1976.jpg

DSC_1991.jpg

A one stick fire starting contest

DSC_1808.jpg

DSC_1884.jpg

DSC_1895.jpg

DSC_1908.jpg

DSC_1925.jpg

DSC_1948.jpg

DSC_1936.jpg

Some fellowship and skills practice.

DSC_1999.jpg

DSC_1960.jpg

DSC_2060.jpg

DSC_2063.jpg

DSC_2037.jpg

Some awesome food!!

DSC_2056.jpg

DSC_2027.jpg

DSC_2040.jpg

Ethan is an awesome cook!

DSC_2051.jpg

DSC_2055.jpg

And some time just sitting around talking with new friends around a nice camp fire

DSC_2076.jpg

DSC_2092.jpg

It was a blast! I really wish I could have been there for the entire event rather than just Saturday afternoon and evening, but making plans to camp out for the Fall Gathering. God only knows how many interesting pics I could have gotten on the first night :D

Look's like a great time was had by everyone. Ethan can cook!!

It was a blast, really looking forward to the fall gathering. Yes he can, I've had the good fortune of eating dinner at Ethan's house a few times over the last few years and always a very pleasant experience.

Sounds like one hell of a great time.  Sure hope to make it to one of these kind of gatherings around our parts some time.  I love the 1 stick fire starting contest.  Great fun!!

Sounds like one hell of a great time.  Sure hope to make it to one of these kind of gatherings around our parts some time.  I love the 1 stick fire starting contest.  Great fun!!

Yep, it was great! I know what you mean, this is one of the few I can make it to as it is only about 2 hours north east of me up in the Smokies near Cherokee National Forest. Beautiful area up there and Ethan's place is just fantastic! It was like a 15 minute drive through the woods and up the ridge from his house to his camp. I wish he would adopt me  :)

That food looks delicious. What a great time.

Dude, if Ethan wasn't older and uglier than me...and if I were gay...I'd propose  :hugegrin: . That man is one heck of a field chef! Hell he's a heck of a chef anywhere...he studied at Le Cordon Bleu and has developed his own style over the years. His cookbook is pretty awesome too. I never, EVER turn down dinner at Ethan's...well I had to miss one, but I kicked myself in the ass for weeks afterward.  It was definitely a great time, reeeeally looking forward to the fall gathering!

Ethan also gave me a really cool early birthday present. A rare, as in only a few made, saber ground San Mai BK-11 that is sterile (no markings) because it is a prototype.

DSC_9558.jpg

i love the shape of that knife mist! and the bottle opener on the end  :hugegrin:  i know its probably got another use like wire breaker or tank key or something but thats what it would see the most use from me.  looked like a great way to spend a weekend. thanks for sharing mist.

Dude, if Ethan wasn't older and uglier than me...and if I were gay...I'd propose  :hugegrin: . That man is one heck of a field chef! Hell he's a heck of a chef anywhere...he studied at Le Cordon Bleu and has developed his own style over the years. His cookbook is pretty awesome too. I never, EVER turn down dinner at Ethan's...well I had to miss one, but I kicked myself in the ass for weeks afterward.  It was definitely a great time, reeeeally looking forward to the fall gathering!

TMI. Ethan Becker has a cook book?

Yeah, it's a bottle opener and a wire breaker. Never had an occasion to try out the wire breaker on a BK-11 before, but I've opened several beers and Mexican cokes with it and the bottle opener works great! The BK-11 is definitely one of my all time favorite small knives, and it heavily influenced my thinking on the small knife that's coming out this June. The first ones shipped out for the heat treater's today. This BK-11 has been my favorite piece of Jewelry since Ethan told me I could have it  :hugegrin:

It was a blast and I was only there for 10 hours of it, got there at 2:30pm Saturday afternoon and left about 12:30. Next time I'm getting there on the first day. I would have this one but Alayna's award ceremony was on Friday and I wasn't missing that. 

No way! I have an older copy of JOC.

Yeah, it's been around a while. Great cookbook.

looks like a great time

Thanks Kim, it really was.

Looks like a good time was had by all. Thats my idea of a fun day for sure.

Really was a blast, looking forward to the fall gathering!

i love the shape of that knife mist! and the bottle opener on the end  :hugegrin:  i know its probably got another use like wire breaker or tank key or something but thats what it would see the most use from me.  looked like a great way to spend a weekend. thanks for sharing mist.

~ A tank key?  I'm seeing it now! Hell, I need that for work!  :thumbsup:

~ A tank key?  I'm seeing it now! Hell, I need that for work!  :thumbsup:

Ok sure, I'll pick up a BK-11 at blade for you since you really need one lol. Though I was thinking about sending you one of my TOPS knives that's coming out this June to see what you thought about it versus the Izula-II you've been using. Personally I like the BK-11 as much as I like the Izulas because the BK-11 has a slightly longer blade (and conversely a slightly shorter handle than the Izula-II which some do not like hence the BK-14 Eskabar). Plus honestly, while both are very interesting people, I have more fun hanging out with Ethan than I do hanging out with Jeff which makes me feel even better about supporting his company.

But just so you'll know...the last time I checked, you don't need a key to start a tank...  :hugegrin:

Ok sure, I'll pick up a BK-11 at blade for you since you really need one lol. Though I was thinking about sending you one of my TOPS knives that's coming out this June to see what you thought about it versus the Izula-II you've been using. Personally I like the BK-11 as much as I like the Izulas because the BK-11 has a slightly longer blade (and conversely a slightly shorter handle than the Izula-II which some do not like hence the BK-14 Eskabar). Plus honestly, while both are very interesting people, I have more fun hanging out with Ethan than I do hanging out with Jeff which makes me feel even better about supporting his company.

But just so you'll know...the last time I checked, you don't need a key to start a tank...  :hugegrin:

~ Well, like I always say...  beggers can't be choosers. Especially when it comes to knives.  :hugegrin:  I think you got it right the first time though with the Izula-II. THAT Was a match made in nature. It just fits. Not sure I could ever let another knife wrap around me like that one did, or fit into my hand so perfectly.  cool14.gif

As far as tanks go...  :P  I'm talking about oxygen tanks and air tanks. You do need a key to open the cylinder. and that shape looks like the exact retangular shape of a compressed gas cylinder. The keys now are made of cheap plastic  and they get worn out and widened out. I transport babies over 200 miles on ventilators that depend on old fashioned tanks to plug into. I have to be able to rig stuff up in the back of a truck on the spur of the moment when something breaks down. So tools are important to me. (I carry channel locks in my purse. Because the paramedics NEVER have them when we need to undo the bolt that connects our transporter into the floor of the ambulance)  :P :rofl:  I come prepared!

~ Well, like I always say...  beggers can't be choosers. Especially when it comes to knives.  :hugegrin:  I think you got it right the first time though with the Izula-II. THAT Was a match made in nature. It just fits. Not sure I could ever let another knife wrap around me like that one did, or fit into my hand so perfectly.  cool14.gif

As far as tanks go...  :P  I'm talking about oxygen tanks and air tanks. You do need a key to open the cylinder. and that shape looks like the exact retangular shape of a compressed gas cylinder. The keys now are made of cheap plastic  and they get worn out and widened out. I transport babies over 200 miles on ventilators that depend on old fashioned tanks to plug into. I have to be able to rig stuff up in the back of a truck on the spur of the moment when something breaks down. So tools are important to me. (I carry channel locks in my purse. Because the paramedics NEVER have them when we need to undo the bolt that connects our transporter into the floor of the ambulance)  :P :rofl:  I come prepared!

Yeah, that Izula II just sort of had your name on it from the beginning, I thought it would suit you.

Hmmm...an emergency natal nurses survival knife. Maybe I should pick your brain on this a little and design you one just for your purposes.

Yeah, that Izula II just sort of had your name on it from the beginning, I thought it would suit you.

Hmmm...an emergency natal nurses survival knife. Maybe I should pick your brain on this a little and design you one just for your purposes.

Benchmade had an emergency tool with a strap cutter and an oxygen tank wrench.

~ here's my delimma, notice how our stupid transporter has the tanks organized underneath the thing? On the floor practically.  wacky115.gif  The pressure guages are often turned upside down so to read my tank pressure I have to unbolt the tank locking bar, and try to spin the stupid thing around. It's a horrible design. Plus, there's no room to turn the damn regular tank key even when you do get it on the tank without scraping your knuckles on something pointy. We keep extra cylinders on the truck, and the truck itself has huge D cylinders, but changing these things out flying down a road at night is hazardous to my health.  :rofl:  Plus, if the truck ever flipped over, the only door is on one side of the truck, and the back door is electrically locked so there's no opening it even when the engine is off. I'm paranoid about getting trapped in that sardine can with no way out.  scared011.gif.  Maybe I worry too much. But fish-tailing all over the highway numerous times in the rain, you think of stuff like that. Who am I kidding, this thing would come unbolted in any accident and probably crush me anyway. I would'n't be alive enough to try to get out. I just need a tank key, and a knife sharp enough to take my own life if I ever go over a bridge into a river. LOL!

1338079371.jpg

Benchmade had an emergency tool with a strap cutter and an oxygen tank wrench.

Yeah, something like this would definitely be an asset to you in you work. and safer than with a knife blade attached while moving and bouncing.

http://www.amazon.com/Benchmade-Medical-Rescue-Oxygen-Syringe/dp/B004VRHYIY/ref=pd_rhf_se_p_t_2

and these guys have a good feed back history

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aag/main?ie=UTF8&isAmazonFulfilled=&marketplaceID=ATVPDKIKX0DER&isCBA=&asin=&seller=A3EKKXDHQAL151

~ here's my delimma, notice how our stupid transporter has the tanks organized underneath the thing? On the floor practically.  wacky115.gif  The pressure guages are often turned upside down so to read my tank pressure I have to unbolt the tank locking bar, and try to spin the stupid thing around. It's a horrible design. Plus, there's no room to turn the damn regular tank key even when you do get it on the tank without scraping your knuckles on something pointy. We keep extra cylinders on the truck, and the truck itself has huge D cylinders, but changing these things out flying down a road at night is hazardous to my health.  :rofl:  Plus, if the truck ever flipped over, the only door is on one side of the truck, and the back door is electrically locked so there's no opening it even when the engine is off. I'm paranoid about getting trapped in that sardine can with no way out.  scared011.gif.  Maybe I worry too much. But fish-tailing all over the highway numerous times in the rain, you think of stuff like that. Who am I kidding, this thing would come unbolted in any accident and probably crush me anyway. I would'n't be alive enough to try to get out. I just need a tank key, and a knife sharp enough to take my own life if I ever go over a bridge into a river. LOL!

1338079371.jpg

This gives me lots of food for thought. But would maybe something like this save you some time?

http://www.amazon.com/Foldable-Double-sided-Bright-Lights-Cosmetic/dp/B007M5PTMA/ref=sr_1_10?s=beauty&ie=UTF8&qid=1338153571&sr=1-10

I could send you one of these if you think it would help. I have one I need to take a few more photos of and then it will be freed up. I can be done with it by Tuesday. It's sharp enough to cut anything you'll need to cut with a knife.

http://www.crkt.com/M16-13ZLEK