WildSurvive Forum

The camera was facing north.  :yes:

Are you sure?  This is a time lapse of the moon soon after it came up.  Wouldn't it have to be facing east or south east?

Nope the moon comes up before dark and its in the west around 2 am. I meant camera facing west.  doh.gif

For Arizona

Date Moonrise  Moonset Time Altitude Distance Illuminated Phase

(km)

Jan 18, 2013 -

11:34 AM     12:11 AM

- 6:17 PM 70.2° 398,534 50.7% First Quarter at 4:45 PM

Jan 19, 2013 -

12:10 PM     1:06 AM

- 7:03 PM 73.4° 402,054 60.6%

From the article:

"Scott McGuire took this photo on Oct. 28, 2012 from Glacier Point in Yosemite National Park, Calif. He used a Pentax K-5 camera and a Pentax 15mm Limited lens to capture the photo."

I saw a cluster of stars at about 10 o clock in the southern sky so many it looked like a blur around 9/30. You couldnt see it very well but I could just make it out with my binoculars.

I saw a cluster of stars at about 10 o clock in the southern sky so many it looked like a blur around 9/30. You couldnt see it very well but I could just make it out with my binoculars.

Was it the Crab Nebulea in Orion (looks like the sheath on his belt) or was it farther east?

Orion is there at that time for sure but I think it was higher. It could be a cluster around Jupiter.

swede you so lucky I remember on my way to the outhouse by the dollhouse late at night I had to look up and see the million of stars up there wow AStronomy is my second love Survival being first

Orion is there at that time for sure but I think it was higher. It could be a cluster around Jupiter.

Just went out and took a look.  I think that is  the Pleiades star cluster.

Do you think you're sitting still right now

You're on a planet that's orbiting a star at 30km/s

That star is orbiting the centre of the galaxy at 250km/s

that galaxy is moving through the universe at a rate of 600km/s

since you have started reading this, you have travelled about 3,000 km.

Yes we heard about this awhile back but didnt know when it was supposed to happen. Thanks  :arigato:

I watched the ISS go over last night (pass started at 6:36pm here) and then was able to find Mercury in the west.  It was actually very bright.

There was an astronomy club setting up at Death Valley for the night when we were there last Saturday. I can only imagine what you would be able to see out there with the lack of man made lights. They had some of the nicest optics I have ever seen.