WildSurvive Forum

That would have been a great way to spend the evening, K-woods. I am used to having relatively dark skies where I live, but was amazed at how much more I could see when I was at the North Rim of the Grand Canyon.

I've been to a few wide open areas.  One of the best was at 2 Week AT in Wyoming, we were out in the middle of a giant open flat, miles, and miles around us, I've NEVER seen big sky like that at night.  I slept in a hammock on the edge of a clearing in the little "Mound" we were set up on most of the nights so I could watch the sky.    Breathtaking, absolutely breathtaking.  Also seeing the sky from the top of a mountain in Korea and in the Yakima area in Washington which were also amazing.    I had a friend I used to work with that had about $30,000 in telescope equipment.    Saw some amazing detail with that stuff that you just don't see outside of magazines.           

I have a cheap Bushnell telescope mounted on wood tripod. It is a reflector telescope. Seems when I bought it I paid around a hundred dollars for it. That has been at least 10 years ago. If you were going to buy a GOOD Telescope what would one cost and what would you get OFG?

This is the bad boy I have been eyeballing for a while.  Great entry to mid level scope.  I've used 2 of these (or similar models) with my wife's uncle.    They run from $300 to $450 and are just amazing.  You can spend more but for guys like me who just want to putz around with it.  THIS is the one I want.   

http://www.telescope.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=102005&utm_source=googlebase&utm_medium=comparisonshopping&gclid=COqBg-u8trUCFdOHMgodGVsAFQ

I have a cheap Bushnell telescope mounted on wood tripod. It is a reflector telescope. Seems when I bought it I paid around a hundred dollars for it. That has been at least 10 years ago. If you were going to buy a GOOD Telescope what would one cost and what would you get OFG?

Sorry, K-woods.  I have a spotting scope and binoculars and that's it.  I have researched telescopes a couple of times, but never made the plunge to actually get one.

I would definitely get one what I could attach my digital camera to and see what I could capture.

I have heard good things about the Orion ones.  I like the idea of a motorized one that will follow where you have it set.

This is the bad boy I have been eyeballing for a while.  Great entry to mid level scope.  I've used 2 of these (or similar models) with my wife's uncle.    They run from $300 to $450 and are just amazing.  You can spend more but for guys like me who just want to putz around with it.  THIS is the one I want.   

http://www.telescope.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=102005&utm_source=googlebase&utm_medium=comparisonshopping&gclid=COqBg-u8trUCFdOHMgodGVsAFQ

That's a good looking telescope. I can't think of a time i haven't had a telescope ever since I was a young kid, but they all have been elcheapos. It would be nice to have a good quality one, but i don't know that i could justify the expense. Like ofg said it would be nice to have a motorized one. I would like to have one you can connect to a laptop punch in your cords, time and date and it give you a tour of the sky above.

Apparently a rather large meteor came in over Russia, exploded at about 32,000 feet with at least three large impact areas.  Some amazing videos already on line. Should be interesting as more information come out on this.

My answer to the meteorite.    A message to the martian artillery team that sent it.

"Adjust fire 8000 clicks to gird coordinate Delta Charlie, Repeat, Repeat, Repeat.  :P

Fat Guy makes a good point about motorized scopes. My brother in law had a powerful one and you could see craters on the moon in detail but buy the time you get it focused the moon moved.

The modern scopes are a vast improvement over the models even just 5 years ago.  Most of the moderns have self alignment ability (examines the stars and automatically lines up with patterns to figure out where it's pointed so you don't have to and auto tracking to keep objects that are in the viewer constantly in the viewer.      Pretty amazing stuff.   

The brilliant talking heads on Good Morning America are reporting that the Orionid Meteor shower peaked over night.  Is it October already???  You would think they would check their facts before they blabber on endlessly.

I have not yet had the chance to look for this one, but hopefully, the skys will cooperate and I will get the chance.

http://www.space.com/20123-comet-pan-starrs-brightest-weekend.html

There are one or two additional comets that may be visible later this year, one which is making a very close pass to Mars (the rovers currently active on Mars are expected to be able to pick it up on their cameras).

I see this new space telescope has found hundreds of likely earth like planets.

The annual Perseid Meteor Showers peak on Monday, August 12th. This weekend should be prime viewing as I was already seeing them last weekend.

The moon sets just after sunset and we are supposed to have clear skies here over the weekend.  The radius is to the northeast, but they will show up all over the sky.

During the peak, you should be able to see an average of one per minute, but they will sometimes come in bursts. There will be short little ones, others with long trains going most of the way across the sky and just about everything in between.

The International Space Station is also making a couple appearances each night, depending on your area. Check for visible passes at http://www.heavens-above.com/.  There was also an HTV-4 resupply vehicle launched last weekend that is scheduled to dock with the ISS, which will show up 5-7 minutes prior to the ISS.

If possible, get away from any city lights.  Best viewing is after midnight, but quite frankly, go out after dark, make yourself comfortable in your chair, look up and you will see some.  Get out there and enjoy this amazing event.

http://www.space.com/22245-perseid-meteor-shower-fireball-champion.html