WildSurvive Forum
MrCoffee

PSK - BOB Do you actually USE it?

Hi Everyone,

Last week I was talking to a friend of mine, and somehow we got on the discussion of PSK's and BOB's. (Ok, he was teasing me about all my crap). It got me thinking.... how many of you actually USE the gear you have in your PSK/BOB?

For me, the idea of a successful BOB/PSK is gear that I know, I have used. Every peice of gear in my PSK/BOB is the same as the gear I use when in the woods. I NEVER "borrow" equipment from my PSK/BOB (now you are understanding why my buddy was teasing me). Every piece of gear is used and for me, time tested.

One of the things that got me really wondering about all of this was when I looked over (ok, when he started showing off) his gear, every item was new, in box, never used. I asked him how he liked his Magstick firestarter, he said "Dont know, never tried it". It was unopened. I asked how he knew it would hold up for him, or if he could use it, he said "See the directions are right there on the package, and it is warrentied.

:'(

Am I the only one that thinks this is foolish?

Well the truth be known Mr. Coffee my BoB is spread out among several places as I use different items to teach with. Now that is bad :nono: :nop: in an emergency I would be the one scrambling to gather my kit as the waters start rising so I will make it a priority to assemble and keep, my personal BoB together as a unit, meaning some of the items will be unused maybe tried once but having used an identical item in my other packs I an sure that they will perform as expected, I would not go with an unknown, untried piece of kit as a norm. The used/duplicate pieces will go into my twin/teaching BoB.

Like the mag stick you may try a stroke or two but would not use it halfway just to proove it, as long as you know how to use a magstick with the same identical striker, it's Ok to keep a newer one in your BoB.

But never rely on a look alike, similar, untried piece of kit, use your items and be familiar with them but keep "fresh" items in your kit, you wouldn't rely on half use batteries.

I guess that is my point exactly. Nothing, NOT one item in my survival bags, PSK or BOB, is an untested item. It doesn't become part of my PSK/BOB until I KNOW that when the chips are down, it will work, and I know how to use it quickly.

Being stuck in a survival situation and having a piece of equipment fail on you (anyone remember the wire saw from the Airplane Crash Survivorman?) because you never took the time to check out the quality is too big a risk for me.

I dont want to be trying to read the directions on a firestarter in the failing light trying to get the thing to light my fire.....

MrCoffee, a good example is the magnesiun ferro rods on the show "Survivor" they are hacked to the nubbs almost nothing left of the ferro rod and they still chop away at it with the sharp edge of the machete/knife, your right, use your items so that in a stress situation it will be second nature to you and yours.

My BOB is a combination of food, water and medical stores, as well as different kits that I've put together that are area specific, so I guess you can say that I use out of my BOB on a daily basis. 

I suppose that to be specific to gear, the items that I would normally reach for fist, whether it's to slice an apple in the park, start a fire, call the wife, etc., are what I carry as my EDC.  My first line gear for all occassions, including my BOB.  Each component of my BOB is derived from another kit, but if I can only grab one bag, it has a sampling of my other bags for hunting, woods trekking, etc., as well as clothing and my families other needs.  Now that we have the twins and daughter with us, we've had to do some serious changing and adding to the BOB, but even the additional items get rotated into daily routine and replaced on a regular basis.

Yes you have a good point there. Its better to test the stuff first, you never know.

It's a little probability that something from the BOB won't work, but its a small probability to need it too - that's the whole point for a BOB - to be prepared for that little tiny probability that something will go horribly wrong, so somehow its logical that its better to be prepared even for the worse case scenario, that something from the BOB won't work properly.

Does that make any sense at all?

Guest adrenjunky

I also use all of my PSK and BOB. And I continue to test and work with it as I go. If I use a piece of gear out of my kit I replace it before I leave. IE I am going to practice fire making with WetFire. I replace the tab that I am going to use with a new one. This also rotates my stocks so they don't get outdated.