WildSurvive Forum
Machine

What is this?

I wasn't sure where would be a good place to put this but does anyone know what this is or anything about it?  It looks like a wasp with a huge tail. Any clue? Thanks!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1340128629.709999.thumb.jpg.47040d3b0f1adb4da299e0ed362ecd2d.jpg

Looks kinda like a stone fly we have here, that long thing on the end is a breathing tube, they don't have lungs. Did you find it by water?

I'm Probly wrong OFG... I ussaly am lol

Naww, just going through the process of elimination.  About all you can do on something like that.  Working as a team helps. Interesting learning about the different bugs, birds, plants, etc....  Keep throwing out those ideas.

A mayfly has a two tubes like that... That one looks like its been smooshed or dead for a whole. I tie a lot of flies for steelhead fishing that look just like that. And your right it's better to talk as a group.

From what I can tell Doc and OFG are right on. It looks like that Iche......however you spell it.....wasp. It was one mean looking bug! 

It could be a buck and a quarter moth. ($1.25)  moose0024.gif  LOL

Enough with the two bit answers...

I believe that long thing is an ovipositor, used by the female to deposit eggs.

I know what an ovipositor looks like and that aint it.

timber rattler.  tasts like chicken  :hugegrin:

It is a rattler, but not a timber rattler.  It was photographed by a friend of mine about 20 miles north of here.

what kind of rattler is it. i thought there was only one kind in iowa. there coloration and spot arangment can be significantly different. i think everyone that runs into a rattlesnake  around here just calls them a timber rattler because there in the timber.  :P

what kind of rattler is it. i thought there was only one kind in iowa. there coloration and spot arangment can be significantly different. i think everyone that runs into a rattlesnake  around here just calls them a timber rattler because there in the timber.  :P

This one is in the grass...sheesh.

Massasauga rattlesnake (Sistrurus catenatus) . . . threatened/endangered Iowa species.

This one is in the grass...sheesh.

Massasauga rattlesnake (Sistrurus catenatus) . . . threatened/endangered Iowa species.

cool, the timber rattlers ive seen are more grey with a bit more diamond pattern i think. (been a few years since i seen one.  pretty snake though, hope it dont go extinct.