Jump to content
WildSurvive Forum
greene

Edible mushrooms

Recommended Posts

its best if you take someone along that knows them well. but you have to trust them first  :hugegrin:  ive used a couple books over the years and researched them on the www.  i still only eat a couple different ones.  some mushrooms can be easally mistaken for edible to.  and some mushrooms although edible can have hi concentraitions of certain enzymes that some people tolerate no problem while others can get really sick or severe stomach problems from. so any you do try always use just a little the first time to make sure. even morells the first time out if undercooked and or eaten in large quantities can make you ill.  just always make sure 1000% without a doubt that you have the right mushroom. if your even 1 tenth of a % unsure "DO NOT EAT IT!!!! some mushrooms are so bad there is no cure, even if it dosnt kill you you may wish it had.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

some mushrooms are so bad there is no cure, even if it dosnt kill you you may wish it had.

wow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One can teach oneself to identify edible mushrooms even if one does not have someone more knowledgeable, but there are some principles to keep in mind:

 

First, you need multiple field guides with lots of photos. Ordinary wild plants are usually quite uniform in their appearance, but a mushroom species can exhibit a lot variability in it's appearance. Just pick up two different field guides and compare the photos for a given mushroom species  and you'll see that they often look very different, even though they are the same species and from the same region. Mycology websites usually have photos you can consult and the people on their message boards are usually keen to help you identify your mushrooms. So you need multiple visual references. Never rely on just one "definitive" field guide, or someone's YouTube videos. I've seen some worrisome misidentifications online by people who, like me, are still new to mushroom identification.

 

Second, never consume a mushroom unless you're certain of what it is, and even then, the procedure is to take it home, cook up a small piece, and eat it only that piece. The next day, if you've experienced no ill effects, you can eat a whole mushroom, not a plateful!  Tell someone you're test-sampling a mushroom so that they will know what's happening if you suddenly take ill and can't seek medical help yourself.  The worst approach is to go out foraging and sample a mushroom without having properly sampled it as described above.  I you misidentify a sought-after species while in the wood you could be incapacitated while far from help and could easily perish.

 

Third, cook your mushrooms before eating them. Besides the fact that wild mushrooms can be covered in bacteria (think of it like drinking unfiltered lake water), mushrooms are chitinous and must be cooked for the nutrients to be absorbed into your body. Raw mushrooms, while tasty, mostly pass through you without imparting any nutrients.

 

Fourth, stick to mushrooms that are easy to identify and have few or no toxic look-alikes until you build up a confident mental store of correct identifications. The species my wife and I are most comfortable identifying with ease here in Ontario are: giant puffballs, chanterelles, shaggy manes, chicken-of-the-woods, dryad's saddle, and oyster mushrooms. There are enough of these around (from early summer into autumn) to make mushrooming worthwhile for us. Naturally, the list of sought-after mushrooms in your area (that don't have lethal look-alikes) may be different from ours. The much coveted morels aren't on my list simply because I have never come across any yet.

 

Hope this helps and happy foraging,

-Martin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is little if any food value in mushrooms. Only in a survival situation would I even think about consuming a mushroom that I wasnt sure of.Thanks for your information PineMartin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mushrooms are a tasty treat, even if they are not high in nutritional value.  But they can be a comfort food (Fill the belly or supplement other nutritionally dense foods in an emergency).  When your hungry and you find a 10 foot long 3 foot wide patch of Sulfur Shelf, you'll be in heaven. LOL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Even choice delectable edible mushrooms if eaten in large quantities can give you diarrhea. Diarrhea will Leach water from your body and in a survival situation unless you have plenty of water id avoid them.  But damn I love the fungi.    moose0024.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×