WildSurvive Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Swede

Record Drought

A large portion of the mid west is involved in a record drought. What does that mean to a wildsurvivor?

This week grain futures have set all time record prices. Soybeans are climbing daily and just this week hit $17.77 a bushel and corn closing in on $8.00. Wheat will follow. By this time next year you can expect grocery prices nation wide to almost double. Beef, pork and chicken will follow because feeding $8.00 corn to live stock. Every thing made from grain like corn oil, corn flakes, bread, soy bean oil, flour etc will jump along with it.

Wall street will jump on the band wagon and start speculating in the futures market driving up unrealistic prices.

It may be too late for the crops to recover even if we got rain today and that doesnt look likely. Farmers have crop insurance that is backed by the government and that along with inevitable subsidies will cause another major drain on the economy.

Gardens, canning and freezing could help however any gains will be wiped out by a jump in gas prices as ethanol will be impossible to be manufactured cheap enough to be added to gasoline with out more subsidies from the government.

Some areas have already been classified as a nearly total loss. The agribusiness farmers who are lucky enough to bring in a decent crop will make a good profit this fall however already inflated crop land prices will hit new record prices.

Theres not much we can do but to me this is something we should keep an eye on and do what we can to be prepared. What other things can we do?

Sounds like a good wildsurvivor might want to put back some dry goods. That would be a start anyway. I can not believe how much our grocery bill has went up over the last year. If it get worse than it is already  I will have to take on a second job just to feed my bunch. What we used to pay 50 to 60 dollars for is well over a hundred now and that is just the bare necessities . I  don't know how people working for minimum wage make it these days.

I keep 90 days supply of everyday food which would last twice that long if we are conservative with it in lean times.  We also have another months supply of frozen leftovers and pre-prepared meals (We freeze pancakes after they are made for a quick breakfast etc). 

I didn't get a garden in this year because of the issues we had with deer and it turned out to be a blessing as anything that would have come up would have been much smaller amounts than last year and the deer would have devastated them.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2

A report today on the cable news is only expecting a minimal raise in groceries and any thing grain related. We shall see.