WildSurvive Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Docwatmo

Another Paracord Project, Knife shoulder sling

Last year my amazing wife started making me a paracord belt, using the "Infantry braid" style weave.  Turned out it was going to be too thick when it was done so I hung it in my office and didn't touch it for about a year.  Then I was doing some reorganizing and I ran across it.  Decided I wanted to use it for a shoulder strap to carry my SRK, a small FAK and maybe a water bottle.  Since there was about 20 feet of leftover paracord, I managed to tie it and create a loop for a shoulder strap. (The excess cord is just wraped around the end right now until I decide what to do with it). 

Right now, it is tied into a loop, so I can either pass it through the belt to hold it down, or I can use a small carabiner to clip it to the belt to hold it in place.  I will be adding a clip or clasp of some kind so I can put it on the belt without removing the belt.  My SRK is just too big for belt carry, getting into and out of a vehicle is a pain with it. 

I also found out as long as I have my Holster on, I can pass the loop under the holsters forward clip to hold it down and it works perfectly, stays in front of the holster and doesn't interfere with the weapon at all.

The Yellow FAK is just a cheapo bag I picked up for a couple bucks and filled with first aid supplies.  I am going to replace it with a Maxpedition Fatty pouch as soon as I can get my hands on one).

I was thinking of butchering an old belt to use the buckle and sew it into the  strap in place of the loop.  But would LOVE some ideas of ways to make it convienant to take on and off.

DSC_0093_zps557b28dc.jpg

It's the same weave as the Infantry braid on an army uniform, (also called the cobra weave if I remember correctly).  it works great for the first wrap, makes it just shy of an inch wide, but by the time you do the 2nd wrap to get it closer to 1.5 inches wide (Belt wide) it also gets about 3/4 inch thick. Just a little too "Round" for a belt.  I can't weave paracord worth a crap, one of those things that just doesn't stick in my head.  My wife is awesome at it and my 13 year old is a genius at it.  He can look at something someone else has done, and then just sit down and figure it out on his own in a few minutes.  He figured out Monkey fists, and a sling (For tossing rocks) entirely on his own without deconstructing either one.

My wife did do a different belt weave for my sons basket project.  It made a much better belt (And was deconstructable, the cobra weave has to have every wrap pulled out one by one to reuse the paracord).  I'll find it and get a picture. 

Nice little system. I have been thinking about making a baldric rig for one of my larger knives and using this weave for it. Interesting how many Cold Steel knives are in this little group of ours, and I am about to make a trade for a CS Recon Tanto in Carbon V. I should have bought that Carbon V SRK just outside of St Louis when I was on my way back from Swedes but I had a lot on my mind and forgot. It was in a pawn shop and I had him talked down to $65.00 and it was still new in the box.