WildSurvive Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Swede

Exceding our Storage

Hostgator has contacted me that we have no back up if the system crashes because we are exceeding our storage capacity. We are allowed 20,000 MBs and we are using 22,000 MBs so some large old files are going to have to go. Hostgator support has identified some large files that are the main problem but I cant find them. Im going to call them back to get a link to those files and they will be deleted. Some large files in the music room with you tube links have already been removed. I will concentrate on old files.

Carry on

Hostgator has contacted me that we have no back up if the system crashes because we are exceeding our storage capacity. We are allowed 20,000 MBs and we are using 22,000 MBs so some large old files are going to have to go. Hostgator support has identified some large files that are the main problem but I cant find them. Im going to call them back to get a link to those files and they will be deleted. Some large files in the music room with you tube links have already been removed. I will concentrate on old files.

Carry on

Thanks for the heads up swede

The files have been found and removed however we have a large amount of space taken up by attachments. We are now below 20,000 MB and a back up is being generated. It is important to down size picture attachments to at least 640/480.

Carry on

Fat Guy has successfully copied a back up to an external hard drive. My internet wouldnt let me have that much down load bites. It appears the members who have been coming through the home page are getting the bear message so we may have lost the support to that page when we had to delete some files. You will have to do a google search and click on the forum link to wildsurvive I think.

~ Does this mean we've been hoarders?  :scared:  scared011.gif  cause I was watching that show at my mom's late last night, and there could be dead cats underneath stuff once you start digging around deep enough.  :nono:

I'm telling y'all, watching just ONE episode of them digging through a mountain of dirty adult depends diapers in this woman's bathroom because she didn't feel like throwing them away, is enough to never make me miss having the remote again.  :S

The attachment option in the posts may have to go. When we store our own pictures it over loads our storage capacity. We used to use image shack or photo bucket. Im working on removing the attachment option as soon as I can find out if using a photo host will cut down on our storage. Then we may have to remove some old picture files to get below 20,000 MBs.

I have found the files that contain the attachments that go back to 2007. Some are quite large 338 pages. I also found out that we have unlimited storage space as long as we do a current back up occasionally our selves. Hostgator cant back up a file larger then 20,000 MBs.

So until we have a problem I think we can operate under the current post settings however I would ask that picture sizes dont exceed 640/480 each.

Ahhh, now I know where the music corner went.  Bummer, I was looking for a couple of the songs from the list today. 

I would just kill the embedding option and use the 3rd party hosting sites for images.  This will keep the forum primarily text based and solve any space issues you may run into.  The links to Youtube videos and ImageShack/Photobucket type sites work flawlessly without chewing up your storage or download bandwidth.

What percentage of the images and videos on the sight right now are embedded? 

The stats page in our administration list attachments as our biggest space usage. When we up dated our current operating program with simple machines the attachment option was included. That was a mistake. On facebook the picture size is limited automatically but ours has a huge allotment and members set their cameras to mega pixels. That eats up storage space.

We used to use image shack and photobucket to host our pictures. We may have to go back to that. We are WAY over our allotted storage but that only means that hostgator ,our hosting web site, will not do a back up because of their own storage. If we have a major crash many pages could be lost. However the main operating system is backed up. So we have to do a back up our selves. We have no limit on storage space ourselves just no current back up. If we crash today we can reload back to the last back up. When I deleted the video corner I was looking for more space and didnt realize they were hosted. Pictures are one of the best interest to our guests especially the tutorials. We can go through and eliminate many pictures but at this time we have to just hope a crash wont occur.

Bummer, I thought SMF was able to change the embedding option going forward without killing currently embedded stuff.  I happen to know a couple AWESOME SMF admins, if you have any questions, they could probably answer them better than the SMF techs themselves (And often do, they write most of their own scripts). 

I'd be happy to pass along any questions or requests.  Which version of SMF OS are you running?

Doc

Im aware of your geek abilities and frankly The King our main tech guy has gone out into the get paid for that skill world and didnt answer my phone call. If you wish to lend a hand we could use someone.

Scroll down to the bottom of the page.

Unfortunately, I myself am not an SMF expert (I have some familiarity with it and did run a couple boards in the early 1.0 days)  I am familiar with it and could probably pick it up quickly as needed, but my friends are the real geniuses at it.  I can take a peak and see what I can do. 

I also have access to some resources (20 MB internet connection, High end Dual Xeon quad core server running VMware and several Virtualized servers), 2 TB of local storage in raid 5 and a second backup NAS system with 5TB of storage running raid 5 with a hot spare.  If you need site backups, I could make that happen with no size limitation (And I wouldn't charge ya for it either, just keep the membership free LOL).

Hostgator also hosts my domain name as well as the site with tech support. I have no idea how the upgrades your suggesting would be compatible with hostgator and smf. As of now my concern is the possibility of losing years of data due to a crash.

The SMF database can be backed up anywhere any time, manually or automatically regardless of where it's hosted.  Think of it like right clicking a picture and choosing "Save as" on your computer and saving to any drive.  We would just set up a login with privileged to do backups of the database and either manually or automatically copy the database to the backup location.  You would continue doing local backups of the OS on your hosted server for quick recovery, but the OS can be backed up externally as well.  Since it's 20 gigs, I would recommend doing a quarterly full backup and do incremental daily to avoid losing any new data. 

I did a little digging and as far as I can tell this is the option you may be looking for.  (I can't guarantee anything so until you have a full system/data backup you may not want to try this yet). 

You should be able to keep existing embedded images/videos etc and limit new images to links via the following option.  (This is 2.0 not 2.0.1 so the menu may be different with different options).

--------------------

Admin > Forum > Attachments and Avatars > Attachment Settings

There's a setting labeled "Attachments mode" and the options are:

Disable attachments

Enable all attachments

Disable new attachments

I think "Disable new attachments" is what you want.  That ought to have no effect on existing uploaded images/videos.

Might just want to peek and see if the option is there or if it's already enabled.

Just checked, it is set to "Enable All Attachments".

Swede - let me know if you want me to make that change.

Thanks, Doc!

The SMF database can be backed up anywhere any time, manually or automatically regardless of where it's hosted.  Think of it like right clicking a picture and choosing "Save as" on your computer and saving to any drive.  We would just set up a login with privileged to do backups of the database and either manually or automatically copy the database to the backup location.  You would continue doing local backups of the OS on your hosted server for quick recovery, but the OS can be backed up externally as well.  Since it's 20 gigs, I would recommend doing a quarterly full backup and do incremental daily to avoid losing any new data. 

I tried to run a manual backup, but got an error message that the backup file was too large.

Your backing up using the admin/backup option I'm assuming, which has a limit on backup size (Which may be a limit on the file system of the directory your backing up to).  to do clean full backups anyware, you have to have directory access, and zip/copy the entire database/system to any backup location.  This is done through either a local file manager via FTP access or through the file manager built into the admin console (Which I don't like because it doesn't list hidden or system files in the OS directory (Which is why you can't use it to backup the system).

Your backing up using the admin/backup option I'm assuming, which has a limit on backup size (Which may be a limit on the file system of the directory your backing up to).  to do clean full backups anyware, you have to have directory access, and zip/copy the entire database/system to any backup location.  This is done through either a local file manager via FTP access or through the file manager built into the admin console (Which I don't like because it doesn't list hidden or system files in the OS directory (Which is why you can't use it to backup the system).

I think since Hostgator hosts the site,we don't have directory access, only access through the application (the admin console).  I think the last time, they ran the backup, put it in our directory and I downloaded it.

In the admin console go to the "FTP" Options (Can't remember exactly where it is), it should list your FTP connection info.  You have full access to your database regardless of where it is stored on hostgator.  (It's the same for most hosting sites).  Your database is in one of two locations, either a sub directory on your site, or a designated SQL location in the hosts matrix somewhere.  Either way, there is a connector to it, just have to find it.

I haven't used the admin console on host gator but i'm assuming its similar to the admin consoles on many of the hosting sights I have used.  I'm a bit rusty, havn't done much web work the last couple of years.  I'd have to dig around in it a bit to find the info I'd need to find the database.  I'll build an SMF site on one of the free hosts next week and play with it to familiarize myself with it.

I can get to the FTP section. I used that when I downloaded the backup last time.  I moved the export that the people at Hostgator ran from the home directory to an FTP directory, then pulled it down from there. 

The problem is that the site it too large to run a backup (which I believe is a database export) from the admin console.  You have to run an export from the database.  You can't just copy the database as it is in use, always changing and the file transfer fails.

Before we disable attachments we will have to let the members know where they can go to use a hosting site like image shack or photobucket. It may be possible to build in a link to a hosting site in the smiley area.

Yep, That is why I like photobucket, the embedded links are automatic.  Just click and then paste. 

No rush on this.  You bought yourself a few weeks/months with shrinking below 20 gigs.    I'd go ahead and post a message and maybe do a mass PM to let everyone know that embedding images/videos is going away, and to use an external hosting sight.  We can always do up some nice instructions on how to post images/videos using each of the popular image storage sights.

Looks like Hostgator has you on a 16 bit file system on the storage server (probably virtualized).  This limits your file sizes to 4 gigs, so your backup can't create a file bigger than 4 gigs.  The one backup they did for you they manually created to another location that was 32 bit.  They should be able to move your virtual directories to another drive or server that is 32 bit File system. 

Quite frankly, I'm surprised they are still using any 16 bit storage, but it's understandable  they probably are eeking as much life out of some old server/storage technology as they can.