WildSurvive Forum
Sign in to follow this  
bobimbob

Turkey Hunting

In keeping with the spirit of the day how many hunt their Thanks Giving Turkey?

Do you have a traditional place to hunt?

A family/friends celebration?

Oh by the way Happy Thanks Giving!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup:

I used to hunt them and had some success with both bow and 12ga.  It is difficult hunting them around here because most of the land is privately owned and most landowners nowadays are anti-hunting.  There is wilderness just over the hills behind us, but we aren't allowed to carry weapons through the country park system to get to the land.  So havn't been able to hunt them for a couple of years.

Where I presently live there are not real turkey population, I would have to go south and now it takes a special course to hunt them. I hear they are very wary and love to drive mad the hunters who are not prepared.

Saygo RA, never having tasted wild turkey, is it much different than store bought turkeys?

Saygo Bob.  Oh yeah, way different.  Most that grew up eating the modern, fat breasted birds probably wouldn't like the wild variety.  I don't mind the flavor of the wild birds, but I prefer white meat, which there isn't much, if any on our wild birds.  The legs were boiled and tenderized as they tend to be tough and we would make up food for the dog and cats.  The breast meat was prepared with seasoning and placed on the BBQ, or was cubed and deep fried.  I have eaten better tasting wild birds that were killed in other areas though and I figured that, like deer, turkeys taste differently in different areas, based on their diets.

We have tremendous flocks of birds that roam the safety of the privately owned ranches and other plots of land.  A few years ago, I was driving to a secluded area to do some roving with the bow and I had to pull over, because I couldn't believe what I was seeing. 8|  I counted 100 birds and didn't make a dent in the flock that covered several acres of pasture land on both sides of the road.  I'd sure like to alleviate that ranchers problem :naughty:, but I guess he likes all them birds and the mess they leave. :/

Saygo RA!! could it be because the birds are older and tougher? a friend is a passionate goose hunter and he tells me that of late a lot of the geese are real tough, only thing we can come up is that like all older animals they get tougher as they age. Less hunters culling the population better chances of getting tough birds. I did think the're would be a difference especial in the meat  dark vs light, youre right about regional flavors, bears and deer taste different with the feed they have and the climate they have to endure. 

Saygo Bob;

Yeah, I think it's because they are older birds, but they are also leaner and I think that if they run after getting shot, that'll toughen them up some too.

I want to buy my aunt Gail a really nice turkey call for her birthday this month.  Can anyone recommend one?  :unsure:

Depends on the kind she'd like to try.  I've always used diaphragm calls, as well as a couple of home made slate calls I was given.  There are also box calls.  If she's not hunting, give her a slate call or box call to try--they can be inexpensive and work pretty well. ( I prefer the Knight & Hale  diaphragm calls because they're hands free--I don't have to worry about what to do if a turkey appears suddenly.)  Different folks will prefer different brands, H.S. Strut, Knight & Hale, etc. 

If she's just planning on sitting on the porch and calling any brand or type can work.  You can get them just about anywhere, including Wally World, Cabela's, Bass Pro, etc.  This link will let you look at different types:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/index/index-display.jsp?id=cat20827&navAction=jump&navCount=1&parentType=category&parentId=cat20712&cmCat=netcon&cm_ven=netcon&cm_cat=Google&cm_pla=cabela%27s&cm_ite=netcon

Calling isnt the end all of turkey hunting. Sometimes simply sitting and waiting work just fine. The mouth diaphragms are tough to learn and you (at least I do) almost drown in spit with one in my mouth. Bobs right the box calls seem to work best. It helps to have listen to the actual hens clucking and squawking to learn the best sounds to make. Ive called jakes simply by whistling.Turkeys follow ridges and streams so waiting in those areas should work.

Remember a gobbler WONT come to a call if he has hens with him. If not they will come on the run and bust in on ya quickly catching you with both hands using a box call.  :o  Heres some dvds>

http://www.midwestturkeycall.com/newdvd2008.asp