WildSurvive Forum
tsitenha

paring down firearms

I am in the process of paring down my firearms.

Trying to maintain common calibers, for my family and friends and I.

I would like to end up with 1 center fire rifle, 1 shotgun, 1 .22lr rifle and a combination shotgun/rifle.

This would also be the list for my family.

An advantage is common ammo, and having a larger availability of those calibers. Instead of carrying a minimum of each cartridge type, more of a singular choice, also a greater variety in that cartridge in different weight grains and styles.

A simpler choice for me, I think?

im sort of doing the same thing, but i have to buy a few more so that i can start paring them down  :hugegrin: what ive been doing latly is traiding off the ones i dont use much to purchase the ones i really want.

Instead of adding new firearms lately I've been concentrating on ammunition for those I have and some new home security options.  All of my guns are in common calibers and run just about the entire range--.22LR, 12 gauge, .223/5.56, .38Spl/.357Mag, .40S&W and .45ACP.  If I do add another it would most likely be in 9mm, 7.62x39mm, .308/7.62 or .30-06.

The most under rated caliber is the .22, .22mag and .117. You can store and carry hundreds of rounds with no problem and you can buy them any where.

There is a pair of well known, classic takedown hunting rifles that meet size requirements. These are the Grade I Browning Semi-Auto .22 (SA-22), and the takedown version of the single shot Stevens Favorite Model 30 falling block rifle.

And then there are a couple of purpose designed survival rifles, both autoloaders, that are widely available. These are the Marlin Model 70PSS Papoose and Henry U.S. Survival Rifle. I have the Papoose and its very dependable and comes with a float able carrying bag.Stainless with a plastic stock. Seven shot and ten shot clips.

I was talking to KW last night about .22's, Swede.  We were saying it's time to get together for a day at the range with just the .22's.  An all-out plinking session!

KW was also telling me that Andrew Zimmerman was in Kentucky to try some of my old Fish & Wildlife buddy Tim Farmer's burgoo, and that Andrew actually shot two of the squirrels to go into the pot.  (Although Tim didn't say if it was with a .22 or shotgun, he did say that Zimmerman was a good shot.)  Tim has two shows on in the state of his own, but he'll be on Zimmerman's show in April.

I agree.  The 22 is by far the most underrated firearm.  They are amazing versatile, can take game at many sizes, are still effective (Particularly in a rapid fire platform like 10/22) as a defensive weapon (Shoots like a laser with ZERO recoil, can put 10 rounds on target in 2 seconds flat with almost no effort).  Discipline is the only thing necessary to use a semi-auto as opposed to the single shot style.  You can carry 500 rounds and not even know you have them on you they are so light, (In the space and weight of about 30 rounds of 5.56). 

I would love a take-down version or one of the survival style versions like Swede mentioned.    LOVE ME SOME 22.

The .22 is by far my favorite round. You can shoot all day and not go broke, and carry many rounds with little weight. I highly recommend the Marlin Papoose for it's accuracy, reliability, and packability.

The centre fire rifle you end up with should reflect on the game you have in your area, and the availability of ammo.

NR