WildSurvive Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Swede

Our tribal names

I think it would be fun to name ourselves or have others name us tribal names like in dances with wolves.

I call myself "keeper of the flame" Bravo would be chief or tribal chief or tribal leader or something like that.

Here are some suggestions>

the hunter

the shaman

the healer

wise man

the teacher

the treker

the builder or

runs like a moose (mooseman)lol

lurks like a wolf (Hazey) lol

If you can add anything or just name yourself or have others name you and put it in with your signature

What do you think? :smoke:

tribal names are usually given by the tribe (or and elder, clan mother) to an individual to denote a right of passage, an event that stands out inthat persons life, the first object a mother sees after the birth... etc... maybe let other board members choose an appropreate name for you. Could this be another monthly contest?

I think thats right Bob someone or somebodys have to name a tribe member. I guess we cold pick one and if the member doesnt like it we could pick another one.Hummm we'll work on that.

Guest Lead Dog

So how are we doing this?  Do we submit a list of choices for each member and vote among those?

Or should we let our tribal elders choose?  I would bet our council of elders know the more popular members of this tribe pretty well.

If anyone wants some northern names, my brother studies Central Yupik Eskimo and Chukchi.  :)

Unfortunately I can not choose names, for personal reasons :unsure:, and the fact clan mothers give you your names and I don't fill the description (it would be hypocritical of me to do so).

Every Nations is divided by a number of clans, some more others far less depends on the entire population. Clans also regulate who can marry whom and keeps the blood mixed, and family/clan/tribal ties strong unifies the peoples.

Some clans example: depending on the tribe...region...Nation

Turtle, Snipe, Bear, Wolf, Thunder Bird, Deer, etc....

One clan Mother= leaderof the women/clan to each but among some tribe are not matriarchal so no clan mother as the leader. Every clan has their own "longhouse"

Clan Mothers rule by consensus on all and every issue, then all clans discuss and again by consensus the tribe proceeds, to the next level.. always by consensus...finally to the council

(in the Iroquois Nation)

This tribal name doesn't have to follow Iroquois conventions, this board is fine as it is, not wanting to be Iroquois is fine. Just follow a path and stay with it, theres many a fine fellow and ladies with judgement here.

Just wanted to share the Iroquois perspective, in the traditional ways.

Today Iroquois use a chief elected (a government requirement).

Make your own ways, experience for your own selves.

Hey Bobimbob, I think I understand where SK was going.  When I was younger, and sometimes still, I used to wish that I had a "heritage".  That is something alot of american families have lost.  I know that I am Portugese, German and Scottish. But what that actually means to me...NADA!  I have always envied my friends who have traditions that have endured in thier families for generations.  Most of the traditions in my family are ones that have been created ourselves.  There is virtually no connection to our forefathers.  It is a sad loss that our melting pot country has diluted the richness of various cultures into a society where nothing seems very unique. I tend to think of these things alot as the holidays draw near.  The "traditional" american Christmas has been taken from so many other cultures, but what can we call our own?  Black friday shopping? BLAH!!  I hope that makes sense, sorry to throw my $.02 in here, I just understand SK's thinking!  To you, you are who you are, but to others you are a person who shares a hertiage, traditions and culture that ties you more firmly to your ancestors than many of the rest of us! It IS pretty cool!  :thumbup:  :grin:

Hi Jeji, I grew up seperated from my people, only found my family after a long while. I am a "breed" because of the "white" blood in me however small. I learned my culture slowly and by force of will re-intergrated to a limit still don't have language even though my sister teaches it, we are to far away to really converse. So its language school for me :hugegrin: But what I am today, is what I struggled to uncover with all of its pitfalls and heights, I am what I am by sweat then by blood (tendencies). I am Iroquois in Ojibway territory  :box:

no romance, just what it is. I understand he is young, but he will eventualy see the value that is in him not what you and I think of him. One of my cousins said she is glad we are Mohawk of all the tribes to be, wrong! we are what we are. Just my rant.

Bobimbob, that is wonderful that you found your way home! 

I'm sorry again for sticking my opinion here...it was just kinda ironic to see these post here...I had just come home from lunch with my hubbie, and he and I had been talking about how he wished his family had retained their German customs, and how sad that we didn't have that to give to the kids! His family left Germany right before WW II, and left their traditions when they came.

But you are so right, we are all simply what we are! :grin: