WildSurvive Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Swede

Our tribal names

I think I'm going to buy a glass pickle ornament this year! :hugegrin:

I had read somewhere that it was a German tradition to hang a glass pickle from the Christmas tree, and the first child that finds it gets an extra present.  OK, it's not much, but it's a start! :grin:

Guest taken by the wind...

~ I don't define myself by who my ancestors were. I can't. Like jeji says, I am a melting pot! I have Cherokee in me (my great grandmother was full blooded Cherokee... I am told.) My Grandmother was very "indian" looking... I have a lot of Welsh blood in me from my Mom's side of the family.

I've always been drawn to Native American Spirituality, but not as strongly as I am to the Irish Pagan path... so what do I do? I combine it all into a path that is my own. The Great Spirit is everywhere, and everyone is a part of it. Everything is connected to it. I believe in a spirit taught religion... that isn't written in a book. I beileve I can interpret the voice of the wind... (like my story says.) Maybe some understand other languqages... I listen to the voice of the Earth, Our mother, the Sun (our father) and the moon (my Sister.) Nobody taught me this. I thought it up. But unlike many people, I believe what I can "think up" in my mind... as truth. It empowers me. It isn't my own concept... even Jesus said. "As a man thinketh, so he is."  I take my thoughts seriously... especially my intuition.  :peace:

~ I've "thought up" my own traditions I started with my kids. We light candles and put them outside on Winter Soltice... we also put out extra food on that Longest night of the year for the birds and squirrels...

Huh I didnt know you was a indian Bob. 8|

OK Ill go with the old women of our clan but with so many to try to name maybe we better let the member suggest something and then consider it.

There were clans before there were indians and they had clan names for their people. I think the name should represent the value of the member to our clan. Like Bigblue is deffinately the teacher for his work with teaching survival classes.

The elder women should consider the members talents and status in the clan.

What do you guys think?

Guest Lead Dog

Sounds good.  This should be interesting.  :)

Yah Swede, I'm actully classed as Metis (Breed) 3/4 Mohawk (+Abenaki)

1/4 European (French/Irish) more or less but lived off rez al my life.

Oh well I got mine"keeper of the flame" because of my campfire post.

~ I named you that Swede!

~ hey... I LIKE being an Elder! I wanna name everything! I did when I was little. I named stuff all the time. Sometimes I still call things by "my" original name... like "flutterby's" are butterflys etc.  (I was weird like that...)  :whistle:

~ I would consider it a compliment. I'm older than a lot of you... younger than a lot of you... but when I think of my "age" I honestly think in terms of centuries.... because I believe in reincarnation... I am an old soul... either way you look at it. I feel older than my parents sometimes ~ age is relative...

my memories transcend this lifetime.

Ok Taken it is then. Does Dave want to be the trecker? Have we heard from Bigblue on this yet?How will we let them know their tribal name?

we can always post them so that everyone can see them or we can send them in the PM first to see if they like it  :unsure:

if you are going to establish a naming panel it should be known to all who want to participate in the event and a naming criteria(sp) clearly spelled out, wether by profession, birth occurance, life characteristic, life event and such......

"Ahh, ya doesn't has to call me Johnson! You can call me Big, or you can call me BB, or you can call me B4, or you can call me B2, or you can call me Big Blue , or you can call me Blue ... but ya doesn't hafta call me Johnson!!"

Hmmmm - Tribal names. My "tribe" is my family. As with Bobimbob, my family has "tribal" traditions assoctiated with our heritage. My middle name is the same as my father's. It is the same as my grandfather's and his father's. It was origionally the first name of my great, great grandfather. Why was that his name? No clue! But, I respect the reasons why his parents gave him that name, as I do the reasons why my parents gave me my name, and it is not my place-nor want- to question those reasons. It is my name. It is "who" I am. As for "what" I am, that is for others to decide from assessing my actions and deeds. Kinda' like religion... Its not what you believe, its how you act upon those beliefs.

Now to make your naming decision easier.... my wife calls me "Red"! It seems that where ever I go I am in the presence of Red Tail hawks. I'm not sure if I find them or they find me... but somehow we manage to find eachother. I admire them, I am jealous of their ability to soar so effortlessly, I can only wish to see the things they see. And, while I was blessed with extrordinary good looks, physical strength and athletic grace, these qualities are far surpassed by those of the Red Tail Hawk.

A lot of folks call me things like "Weirdo", or "Numbskull", or "Gracefull..... not", but I'm fine with that because I know its just a word, or a classification, and that they may be lacking in certain social skills. I'll answer to most anything if said with respect.

Those who really know me and who are truely my friends use my real name - the name by which I introduced myself - because they understand it is a sign of respect to address a person in this way (good social manners), and because they understand that I will do the same in return. There's nothing wrong with an occasional good-natured ribbing between friends - as long as its understood that it is "good-natured".

So... call me what you will. Just don't call me late for dinner!!!

You can call me just about anything you like.  There are a few things that if you call me it will result in me tying you down and putting a burning tire around your neck. :curse:  Other than those everything is good. :cool:

Hummmm I didnt think about that. Maybe some have already chosen their clan name by their log on name. Bigblue is a GOOD clan name but Swede isnt so Ill be "keeper of the flame".