WildSurvive Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Swede

Our tribal names

Guest Lead Dog

You are naming yourselves?  I think we need to agree to a time around the campfire and everyone that is there can discuss names for people.  Let the tribe decide your names.

Personally I think both of your names are fitting, I just don't think you should pick them.

Guest Lead Dog

Swede, with the way you keep the women around here in line I was going to nominate you as "Gifted in Pants".  But since you want something else...

If you are interested in heritage, perhaps, instead of a "tribal" name (though that is a find idea if you wish), perhaps researhing your own heritage, or kinship structure may prove to be something that will mean more to you.  (as well, I can't remember how many school projects forced you to make up that damned family tree ;) ) As Bob mentioned, he "found" his heritage, his blood, his kin, his lineage, his name, his place in the world.  He has grown into that family since then and it seems to be a hugely important part of who he is now.

I myself have no native, aboriginal, indian, innu blood in me at all.  However my heritage is important to me nonetheless.  I was born in Gander Newfoundland, and even though I live in Ontario now, Newfoundland is always home.  My grandfather was a newfoundland ranger (the precursor police force to the RCMP in NFLD, pre 1949 when it was not a part of the dominion of Canada).  My grandfather would (if he still could) claim to this day, that I was named for his favorite dog team driver (you would've liked him LD).  There is even a newspaper clipping of it somewhere (I was big news, even when I was tiny :D:P) stating that fact.

My mother on the otherhand, is from an American family of Polish ancestory.  No red blood there (unless you eat too much bortch :P )  However there is a strong community there as well. 

All this said, I am proud of where I come from.  I listen to Newfie/Irish music, because I like it, and I enjoy good polish sausage over pemmican any day. 

Jeji mentioned belonging to a greater community, and having the spiritual rooting in something greater then yourself.  My thought on the matter (in my so very roundabout way) is that yes, the forum community and a tribal name might be fun, however you may find it more personally rewarding to look into your own heritage. It might not seem exciting, romantic or exotic... but it is YOURS. As such, it is something to explore and experience personally.

Learning about others cultures, such as native culture, can be ADDICTIVE  (that's why I'm studying anthropology).  Just understand what might seem exotic to you, may be the everyday for someone else.  This statement may seem obvious, but when observing, and participating in another culture, try to leave your expectations at the door. 

an open, adaptable mind is good.... ethnocentrism is bad :P  sorry, the anthropologist in me.  I'll stop now before I go on ... and on... and on

Cheers --

Guest Lead Dog

First, I think it would be interesting for others to name us. We each bring something different to the conversations that occur here. We also try to portray ourselves in a particular manner. Having others offer us a "tribal" name or nickname or whatever you would like to call it, would help us understand how we are perceived by others. Is the Lead Dog I think I am the Lead Dog others see me as? (BTW, Lead Dog was a name given to me a bit back by a friend, not something I assigned myself. ;))

Second, while it is an important part of every individual to know a bit out our ancestors and to celebrate the traditions of their culture, we are what we want to be. While I can trace my family to southern Italy, what does that mean? That area of the world has been a meeting point for various cultures as far back as people can discover. In fact, my last name is an Italian word assigned to some Normans that took over Sicily during the Middle Ages. And the Normans were Vikings that pillaged France to the point a French king gave their leader land to appease them and keep them from rampaging the countryside. Does this mean I am Italian of Greek blood (Greeks originally colonized the interior of Sicily)? French of Norman blood? Norse? Who knows what else made its way in there? And how does this all mix in with a guy from the American Midwest who enjoys a sport that was originally a form of Arctic transportation? I suspect we take what we find meaningful and move on. This is not good or bad, just what we want.

Third, Lycan, who was your grandfather's favorite musher? :)

Guest Lead Dog

Does this mean I cant be "keeper of the flame" :cry:

All I'm saying is others should name you that.  Personally, I think that is the perfect name for you!

Guest adrenjunky

First, I think it would be interesting for others to name us.  We each bring something different to the conversations that occur here.  We also try to portray ourselves in a particular manner.  Having others offer us a "tribal" name or nickname or whatever you would like to call it, would help us understand how we are perceived by others. 

Somehow this scares me ;)

Guest taken by the wind...

~ Swede, you can be "keeper of the flame" because I named you that a while back when we were discussing the Sociology of the Campfire thread! Remember? You didn't name yourself...    :thumbsup:

Lead Dog, his name was Zaccharious Ikcousic.

Also, good point in suggesting we are who we want to be.  I was just trying to provide an alternate to the naming that people may find fulfilling.  Ultimately you are who you wish to be, take Archibald Belaney as a prime example of that.  Do take pride in your ancestory though, even if you find it less exotic then you would like.

also.... VIVE LES BRETONS!!!!!!!ET LES NORMANDES!!!!

my fav part of france....

Cheers --

~ Swede, you can be "keeper of the flame" because I named you that a while back when we were discussing the Sociology of the Campfire thread! Remember? You didn't name yourself.

Thank you "woman Taken by the wind" ;)

Interesting thread, I am not sure how I missed it up to this point. :(

Well... hmmmm my family tree has Cherokee, Black Foot, but mostly English. (like 90% at this point). But being the oddball I am.. I have no real idea of my roots, simply because I was adopted at 7 weeks old.

getting back to clan names/titles, I am not sure what one would fit me.

I don't mind being an elder clan mother.  I love being a mom and I'd be proud to look out for all of you.  I always wanted more children!  :grin:

I know you dont choose, but i think i should be named prom dress.  because i always leave so soon, in other words, im off like a prom dress.  lol

Guest Lead Dog

I know you dont choose, but i think i should be named prom dress.  because i always leave so soon, in other words, im off like a prom dress.  lol

Nice.

Your clan name is your status in the tribe not your log on name.. For instance my name would be Swede Keeper of the flame guardian of the fire and the light.

Adrenjunky might be- Adrenjunky medicine man guardin of the sick and injured and health of the clan.

Or Dave the trecker finding new lands and bringing tales of far off places.

Taken and Holly would be matriarchs and mothers of the clan.

Leaddog the dog man master of the dog team. etc.

This would tell others their position in the tribe.

What do you think?

~ shhh, Holly, we need to act more responsible at least until we're IN. We can't go abusing our power just yet...    :P :naughty: :whistle:

There will be plenty of time for that later...

Mwaahaaahaahaaaa!  :woot:

Clan Mothers are the conscience of a Nation...guidance..teachings...they are lent power by the clan first.., the tribe second.., the Nation third...(they eare represented at that level by the Sachems which they choose), they are empowered by the rule of consensus where every one in th eclan agrees to an acceptable point of view then that is brought to the tribe.. then Nation all by consensus if its not acceptable at any one point it goes back to be agreed upon. It is a weighty mantle not of authority but responsability.

Clan Mothers are the conscience of a Nation...guidance..teachings...they are lent power by the clan first.., the tribe second.., the Nation third...(they eare represented at that level by the Sachems which they choose), they are empowered by the rule of consensus where every one in th eclan agrees to an acceptable point of view then that is brought to the tribe.. then Nation all by consensus if its not acceptable at any one point it goes back to be agreed upon. It is a weighty mantle not of authority but responsability.

All right, all right bobimbob, that's exactly why Holly and I are NOT going to be the Clan Mothers... period.  :nono:

We could never live up to the responsibility. All of you should know that about us. When we get together our brains unite as one, and the ONLY thing we can do is bring laughter to this place. That's what we do. If we had to preside over those serious ceremonies... we'd be snickering beneath our cermonial feathers and stuff ...   I think LOST and Frostie should be the Clan Mothers, and Holly and I are gonna be the Clan Babes!   :P :thumbsup: :woot: :rofl: :whistle:

~ As Clan Babe, my first order of business is to give you YOUR name bobimbob... I hereby name you Sam I Am.

I have carefully chosen this name to remind you that sometimes laughter is the best medicine. And to also remind you that the Great Spirit has an Awsome since of humor... otherwise he would've never invented a Platypus...

Now... go with pride. and a new spark of laughter in your heart, and lighten up a little here and there... you are greatly admired and cared for by the Babes of the Clan!   :kiss: :hug: :clap: :cheers:

(of course, since I'm NOT an official Clan Mother, I'm not ordained to really name you, but that never stopped me from naming stuff before...)