WildSurvive Forum
Falco

Backpacking Rifle!!!

I voted for the Marlin for two reasons.  First, when the AR-7  is together and I raise it to my shoulder and aim the stock is so high that I have to really squirm my face down uncomfortably to be able to use the rear sight.  The second is the rear sight itself.  Normally, I love a good aperature sight but this one is pretty primitive.  The last one I looked at was a cheap piece of plastic that you could only adjust by leaning it left or right.  Otherwise I like the way it packs down inside its own stock.  But when the time comes to actually use the rifle the Marlin gets my vote hands down.

Hey, Falco. 

First of all, I have no experience with either of these two, but your post sparked a bit of curiousity. Dong a bit of research, I find a lot more reported problems with the AR than with the Papoos.

I also found this:

http://www.berettausa.com/products/u22-neos-carbine-kit/ju22ck1/

I'm not sure if you could use a modified pistol, but the Berretta set up looked interesting.

I have a Remmington Nylon 66 which I really like (holds 14 rounds).  It is small, light, reliable and very accurate. It does not break down, but I could see carrying this in a sheath with a sling along the side of a bigger backpack.

thats a cool little lead squirter ofg. i like it.    this is the springfild arms m6 scout. this one has a camo paintjob but its actually comes stock in stainless. it folds in half and even breaks down to two peices. lightweight no frills but it has decent sights and a rail to mount an optic. the stock holds ammo too internally.  this is my first choice for a survival/backpacking rifle. breach loading dosnt jam, and there are less moving parts to clean or get dirty than a semi auto.  m6scout.jpg

That is interesting, Razor.  A single shot will always make you a better shot.  I have never used an over/under type of gun but understand the concept.

I just like the versatility of also having the 410 shotgun. Ive taken many pheasant with a 410.  And a 410 slug is actually pretty formidable for defence and larger game.

that little scout rifle is still too long,  but ive seen them before

the EOS still counts as a pistol here and i cant carry it or use it for hunting

they dont make a 6 inch folding rifle that extends to 20 inch barrel with stock that fits in a tuna can and weighs 7 oz.  :hugegrin:  i guess your going to have to pick on your own my friend, although i would say the scout m6 barrel will easally fit in the tent pole or ski pockets on any modern backpack leaving just the skinny stock to find a home for. but you know what your looking for. hope we helped some anyways. good luck  :thumbup:

its tough, im a lefty shooter.....

ideally i would want a browning buckmark or a ruger mkiii hunter

buuuuuut, since those are a pain in the ass to carry in Canada, and you cant hunt with them here, my options are slimmed down

im thinking the papoose, with some extra mags

The papoose comes with a five round clip but Marlin makes a seven the fits the 70PSS.

IMO the Papoose is awesome. I have one and love it. Very reliable and very accurate.

Have you considered a single shot 12g 20g or .410 with a caliber adapter ? This is something I am looking into.

NR

mybanupe.jpge2yjana9.jpg

Ruger 10-22 take down, comes in a nice back pack style bag with lots of storage and molle webbing. Awesome, I love this gun.

I went with the red dot scope on my Papoose so I could get it in the case Hiker

I have bad eyes swede... I need the big scope lol... It's on a picatiny rail so it comes off easy.

Falco, have you chosen a gun yet?  If not, I would highly recommend looking into a Savage 24C.  It is a 22 20 gauge over and under.  Taken apart into 3 pieces it's super small.  A little work and it could be made into an awesome field gun! 

I am currently looking into getting one.  Seems like the best all around woods wandering gun to me.