WildSurvive Forum
bobimbob

Strictly survival firearm

Along the lines of being armed in the wilds, but what firearm would you carry to survive in the bush?

To gather meat and anything else.

A firearm type that I would like to use would be the Savage over/under .22lr/20ga Camper mod. that breaks down in a wrap case. This would give a measure of defense in the 20ga slugs,and of mid range big game capability with shot shell choice and the .22lr for other small game needs. Not perfect but an excellent compramize

Game getting would go to a couple of weapons.  I'm of the mind that it's a bad thing to be heard when you shoot in a survival situation.  Mainly because I don't want anyone close by coming to take food and my life away from my family.  For that reason, the bow would be my main hunting weapon, but I'd also have a 12ga. with me, just in case.

Guest adrenjunky

I will go fight to my grave over this question. If I had to go I would take every gun I own. However if I had to choose one it would be my Rem 870 with 26in bird barrel and 18 in slug barrel.

what type of bow do you carry?

A 3 piece takedown recurve is the bow I would grab.

I will go fight to my grave over this question. If I had to go I would take every gun I own. However if I had to choose one it would be my Rem 870 with 26in bird barrel and 18 in slug barrel.

My 12 is a Rem. 870 Express.  I tried a 20" barrel on it and it just didn't carry the shot well at all.  Pellets scattered all over the place with a big hole in the pattern dead center, so I put the 28" remchoke barrel back on and it's back to it's deadly self. :hugegrin:

Guest adrenjunky

The only time I would use a short barrel with bird shot is in CQ. Then it would be riffled, if you haven't seen and 10 yrd. shot with riffled barrel it is wicked. The reason I would take the 870 is that I would take multiple barrels: 1 26 in bird, and 1 18 riffled.

Pound for pound my little single shot .22lr, has gotten me more "meat" than any of my large bores. I chose the Savage because it gave me the added option of the shot shell and buck/slug advantage. Today many use the similar concept with the Springfield "M 6 Scout" in .22lr and 410 combination. Early firearms used smoothbores but this lack of accuraccy compared to the later rifle also allowed the use of shot in th esame barrels. Now the advent of the rifles accuraccy and consistency really added an appreciated advantage but lost them the flexability of the shot load. Just my reasoning

Guest adrenjunky

That is why I choose my 870 pund for pound that has gotten me more meat than anything else. But it is also what I use the most, prob. 70% of the time. When it comes down to it take the gun that you know the best and is the most reliable.

Ya, AJ, I guess you're right cause I have used my .22lr single shot for most of the hunting I've done. (I'll leave it at that), my .308 gets me the big ones the .22lr  the smaller ones.

:'(  I have to stick to just one?  Probably my 12 gauge pump.  Like AJ, I have two barrels, a 28 inch for shot and an 18 inch for slugs/buckshot.  I like the utility of the over-under rifle/shotgun combos, but my pump action has 3 inch chambers, giving me some extra flexibility (a 3-inch buckshot load will wake ya up!)..

I have the Marlin 70 pss Papoose 22lr automatic stainless with composit stock with seven and ten shot clips and padded carring case.

I use the red dot scope with groved receiver. I carry extra batteries for the red dot in my carring case.

photo70psswo6.jpg

I chose the stainless scope

i712091sn02iu7.jpg

imgselfloadingmodel70psym9.jpg

The red dot does not magnify but puts a red dot on the target. You can change the size of the dot by turning the knob on top. I find it very accurate and reliable rust resistant light and almost unbreakable stock. Dont forget to turn off the light in the scope. :blush:

I have the Marlin 70 pss Papoose 22lr automatic stainless with composit stock with seven and ten shot clips and padded carring case.

I use the red dot scope with groved receiver. I carry extra batteries for the red dot in my carring case.

photo70psswo6.jpg

I chose the stainless scope

i712091sn02iu7.jpg

imgselfloadingmodel70psym9.jpg

The red dot does not magnify but puts a red dot on the target. You can change the size of the dot by turning the knob on top. I find it very accurate and reliable rust resistant light and almost unbreakable stock. Dont forget to turn off the light in the scope. :blush:

I like these better than the old AR-7 design (now the Henry Arms Survivor).  More reliable and they seem to fit better--I can't seem to get a good cheek-to-stock fit on the Henry Arms rifle. 

I have a henrey 22 mag. lever action with a scope. Very accurite and I think replaces the over priced winchester 9422 M

I saw this in Guns & Ammo, Taurus Judge .45 Colt/.410 revolver.  I don't know how useful it would really be, but it sure would be fun to try out!

whatsnew-theJudge.jpg.e163cb1bf744a8cbdd7641d0cd106251.jpg

Guest adrenjunky

I saw this in Guns & Ammo, Taurus Judge .45 Colt/.410 revolver.  I don't know how useful it would really be, but it sure would be fun to try out!

I saw it in use on personal defense tv. the group with the 410 looked ok. Might be ok up to 15 yards.

My question is how many of these guns are legal in Canada, cause its allot stricter gun laws here but we can buy them. Bobimbob?

The main gun I have used is the C7 modified m16 by diemaco not exactly a hunting gun.

Soon I will be getting my licence and then ill atleast have a gun not sure what but it will hope fully be allot better then nothing. So any suggestions for a good hunting/survival rifle more so for food then stopage power.

So any suggestions for a good hunting/survival rifle more so for food then stopage power.

Spetz, I can't root for anything more than a good .22 rifle. They are light, durable and accurate. The .22 round was/is used by assassins for its ability to be muffled easily and it's lightning quick speed.

With those points aside, you can carry 500 rounds of .22 with easy. The block (of 500 rounds) is about the size of an good paperback book, it's a very light rounds and is extremely cheap on cost.

It doesn't have much stopping power (like you mentioned above) because the round travels so quickly that it will go in one side and out the other (rather than sticking around in the flesh and knocking something down). But a well placed shot to a creature of most sizes will do the job.

Hope this helps,

Gandar

My question is how many of these guns are legal in Canada, cause its allot stricter gun laws here but we can buy them. Bobimbob?

This is Canada's gun web site.

Check it out.  It has a lot of useful info on it.

www.cfc-cafc.gc.ca

The main gun I have used is the C7 modified m16 by diemaco not exactly a hunting gun.

Soon I will be getting my licence and then ill atleast have a gun not sure what but it will hope fully be allot better then nothing. So any suggestions for a good hunting/survival rifle more so for food then stopage power.

I'll offer my favorite hunting/survival rifle, that would be the Ruger Mini-14 or better mini-30 (if you can find one). The 14 chambers .223 and the 30 chambers 7.62x39. There are tons of accessories for this rifle too, like a paratroop style folding stock, hi cap magazines, muzzle brakes, flash suppresors, 6 inch lift kit with dual holley carbs and a turbo charged....uh wait, maybe not that last stuff....

But if you're talking truly survival, like the gun folds in half and fits in your back pack, but can still take out med sized game at 200 yards...then you want a KEL-TEC SU-16. Also chambered with .223.

http://www.iamanangelchaser.com/files/gunge/keltec.jpg