WildSurvive Forum
bobimbob

Strictly survival firearm

Gandar: I like your idea about getting a 22 and thanks for the site.

rockhounder: Nice gun i understood about half of what you said :P but yeah the rugger is more what i am looking for vs the kel-tec which would require a restricted fire arms license in canada cause it folds.

Gandar: I like your idea about getting a 22 and thanks for the site.

rockhounder: Nice gun i understood about half of what you said :P but yeah the rugger is more what i am looking for vs the kel-tec which would require a restricted fire arms license in canada cause it folds.

Well, it sounds like you're just getting into gun ownership so here's my 2 cents:

1. Safety, safety, safety. Take a firearm safety class, always wear ear and eye protection, and follow good shooters etiquette.

2. I would recommend a single shot, bolt action, 22 caliber rimfire for your first rifle. A single shot will teach you patience and good skills because if you miss your target (assuming small game) on the first shot, you won't get a second one. Just that very fact alone instills patience and skill with every shot.

Good luck Spetz, and enjoy the sport.

Well, it sounds like you're just getting into gun ownership so here's my 2 cents:

1. Safety, safety, safety. Take a firearm safety class, always wear ear and eye protection, and follow good shooters etiquette.

2. I would recommend a single shot, bolt action, 22 caliber rimfire for your first rifle. A single shot will teach you patience and good skills because if you miss your target (assuming small game) on the first shot, you won't get a second one. Just that very fact alone instills patience and skill with every shot.

Good luck Spetz, and enjoy the sport.

Let me second rochhounder's VERY sound advice.  Hunter Education courses are usually taught free of charge.  I cannot recommend one highly enough!  And as he said, EYES AND EARS!  AND a single-shot .22 is not only a great way to learn to shoot, but it's what I use when I rabbit or squirrel hunt (sorry Dave!).

Let me second rochhounder's VERY sound advice.  Hunter Education courses are usually taught free of charge.  I cannot recommend one highly enough!  And as he said, EYES AND EARS!  AND a single-shot .22 is not only a great way to learn to shoot, but it's what I use when I rabbit or squirrel hunt (sorry Dave!).

Concurred.

Well I live in Canada so its not free but mandatory its all licensed so I have to take a course [CFSC] and for hunting there is another course and then a test for both. I have had safety training with guns just not for hunting purposes. Thanks guys...

I have had safety training with guns just not for hunting purposes. Thanks guys...

Very cool brother. No problem on the help, we're glad we know a little to offer ya.

You can tell the whole survival movement is really taking off when the gun manufacturers start putting kits together for you!  These are kits from Mossberg and Smith & Wesson:   :cool:

Has anyone had ANY experience with a Kel-Tec SU-16?

Yes, I have one, they're great, but the thin barrel heats up too fast, after say, about 10 shots and then your all over the target with consistency. I can can group 4 or 5 shots in an inch or so at 100 yards, but once you get past five, the grouping just goes to hell and they're all over the place. Fun little gun though. Gotta keep it well oiled.

Here's my "Strictly URBAN survival" firearm, with a glock 19 as my sidearm......

dscn1388wp4.jpg

Not so good for hunting squirrels with a 30 caliber though, not much left of them if you aim right.....

dscn1390dh1.jpg

Word of caution though, pictured is the Yugoslav model, hence the grenade sights and flash suppressor, but I've been have a helluva time with the firing pin sticking. I did some research on this model and it turns out that the region that it was manufactured in is short on the mineral "chromium" which increases the friction properties in steel. Since there basically is none in Yugoslavia, none was mixed in with the steel used for mfg'ing the firing pin and slide mech. If you're going to buy an SKS keep with the Russian or Chinese models.

Word of caution though, pictured is the Yugoslav model, hence the grenade sights and flash suppressor, but I've been have a helluva time with the firing pin sticking. I did some research on this model and it turns out that the region that it was manufactured in is short on the mineral "chromium" which increases the friction properties in steel. Since there basically is none in Yugoslavia, none was mixed in with the steel used for mfg'ing the firing pin and slide mech. If you're going to buy an SKS keep with the Russian or Chinese models.

Thanks for the tip, Rocky!  I hadn't heard about that.  I missed a chance at a Russian SKS a while back.  Oh, well!  Maybe next time! ;)

I know several have spoken of wanting a rifle/shotgun combo like the Savage 24C.  I don't believe they make those anymore, but they're still a few left on the used market.  Rossi has been making a switch-barrel combo for awhile.  I don't know how good they are, but the idea is to switch the barrel from a shotgun to a rifle by replacing the entire barrel.  They have them in rimfire and centerfire versions, adult and youth sizers.  Anyone have any experience with these?  http://www.rossiusa.com/products/products-matchedpairs.cfm

Savage24C.jpg.7f5bc202d8ba9ffd25521cde50468c7e.jpg

RossiMatchedPair.jpg.e09ba7812f3ad67c8cabe5c5dcf13e7c.jpg

If I can only take ONE of my guns, it would be this one:

Looks like a mosburg 500 is it?

Here's my "Strictly URBAN survival" firearm, with a glock 19 as my sidearm......

[

Not so good for hunting squirrels with a 30 caliber though, not much left of them if you aim right.....

[

Great for squirrels, you bark them just like they did with the old black powder guns, you shot the limb that they are on and the bark kills them

Woodsman bought Colling some kind of barrel combo Bob.

Anyone have any experience with these?

Since my initial post, I have revamped my thinking a lot.  I love my 12ga., but after a week in the bush under survival conditions with BOB, 870, ammo and belt gear, I came to the realization that I'm too old and weak to carry it all.  The firearm is a tad over 8# and 150 rounds (6 boxes), weighs too much and takes up way too much room in my pack.  I new this was coming eventually, so I went ahead and picked up a Marlin 981T bolt action .22lr and a cheap Bushnell rimfire 3-9x32 scope to go with it.  The scope is doing some strange things, in that the parallax is set at 50 yards, so shorter distance shooting at higher power isn't possible and longer distance shooting is only accurate as long as the eyeball doesn't move.  Because the eye movement can make the fixed target appear to move.  So, I guess that I will eventually get a higher powered Nikon scope with objective lens adjustment.  Rifle is just about 6# with scope and sling attached and 150 rounds of ammo doesn't take up much room and the weight isn't even a consideration anymore.  Accurate (1.25" groups average) at 100 yards and with a better scope, maybe even greater accuracy can be obtained.

P1040229.jpg

Since my initial post, I have revamped my thinking a lot.  I love my 12ga., but after a week in the bush under survival conditions with BOB, 870, ammo and belt gear, I came to the realization that I'm too old and weak to carry it all.  The firearm is a tad over 8# and 150 rounds (6 boxes), weighs too much and takes up way too much room in my pack.  I new this was coming eventually, so I went ahead and picked up a Marlin 981T bolt action .22lr and a cheap Bushnell rimfire 3-9x32 scope to go with it.  The scope is doing some strange things, in that the parallax is set at 50 yards, so shorter distance shooting at higher power isn't possible and longer distance shooting is only accurate as long as the eyeball doesn't move, making the fixed target appear to move.  So, I guess that I will eventually get a higher powered Nikon scope with objective lens adjustment.  Rifle is just about 6# with scope and sling attached and 150 rounds of ammo doesn't take up much room and the weight isn't even a consideration anymore.  Accurate (1.25" groups average) out to 100 yards and with a better scope, maybe even greater accuracy can be obtained.

P1040229.jpg

RovingArcher,

If you just brought the scope take it back to where you got from and get another one.

But thats not bad for for grouping. And a 22 will take most game with the shot placement. And the ammo well you can carry a couple of boxes and be set.

Nice looking rifle also.

Yeah, I purchased it a few months ago and it's been mounted to the rifle, so they won't accept it back.  When I get the next scope, I'll give this one to a friend that just picked up a Gamo pellet rifle. 

Well, if you're going to use a 22LR as your survival choice, AND you want something you don't have to sling over your shoulder, say, something pack size, this has always been my favorite. Of course, this is just on a personal choice since I don't own one, but if I were "hoofin" it in the woods for a few days with a slight chance of kareeming myself into a survival situation, this is what I'd want.

http://www.henryrepeating.com/h002_survival.cfm

Guest blacksmith

I had one for years the ar-7 good gun for short rang  I love it on the trap line