WildSurvive Forum
bobimbob

Strictly survival firearm

Oh, I have 2 more cents (not a good investment choice though, since if I give you MY 2 cents, I only get a penny for my thoughts. 50% loss the way I see it)

Learn to use open sights with a survival rifle as you may knock your scope out of whack trying to hike your butt up, around, in, out, under, over, through and by all kinds of terrain. You won't want to be zeroing it back in (especially when carrying limited amount of ammo) when that yummy little rabbit happens to come across your path. Ok, now gimme my penny! :)

It's true that open sights are much more durable/reliable than the scope and I have shot the rifle on several occassions, using it's iron sights and will continue to for that exact reason.  Unfortunately, it does shorten the rifles effective range in my hands.

I considered the Marlin version of the survival take down rifle and I considered the ar7 style survival rifle.  I had shot the ar7 on several occassions and for short distance shooting (bow range), it's very good.  I didn't have the opportunity to shoot the Marlin rifle, but when I took into consideration magazine capacity, I chose the tube fed bolt gun.

Guest blacksmith

yes it does not have a big clip but I had three clips for it I now have a marlin 25 with two clips

I agree that the AR-7 is very good under 100yds, as I've shot one too, just don't own one, but I bet the marlin will be far more accurate with having a much heavier barrel and bolt action.

I have the Ruger 10/22, I think EVERYONE has one of those. Probably my favorite "plinker" rifle. Accurate as all hell when you dial it in, and fun too! Plus, there are so many accessories for it.

Guest blacksmith

yeah I had one but I like bolt action you do not shoot all your shells up as fast

yeah I had one but I like bolt action you do not shoot all your shells up as fast

LOL! Yep, seems like yer loading clips on the 10/22 more than you are shootin it!

Guest blacksmith

my is a mag. so the price of the shells I do not shoot that much

Guest blacksmith

yeah $10.00 a box for the last one I got  but we have a LR to good bird gun and if I had to both would take a dear

Guest blacksmith

well the 60# bow is the first one that I would use well have to go to get all this work done so I will talk to you later

For survival, it would depend upon the location and the circumstances that I'm trying to survive.

The best firearm to me is the one that can be safely and accurately fired when needed.  :)

Also you get a lot more range and hit power out of a bolt action, as well as in a survival situation ever shot counts...., people usually are more apt to make the first shot count if they know they have to do more than pull the trigger again for the next shot. When I was taught to shoot, my father chose a Remington single shot bolt action .22 for me to learn on.

Yeah, I prefer the bolt rifle over an auto carbine.  More accurate, faster round, hit harder and it holds 17lr rounds and shoots longs and shorts as well.

Another nice thing about a bolt action is that IF the magazine won't feed the next round, you can load single rounds more easily.  I like a Marlin Model 60 or a Ruger 10/22, but if one didn't feed ammunition correctly for whatever reason, they aren't nearly as easy to load single rounds into (it's do-able, just not as easy).  And as RA said, you can always use shorts, CB's, longs, or long rifles in them.

i was thinkinfg eather a m6 scout or a combnation .22 12g over under rifle.  savage arms makes one http://www.savagearms.com/24f12.htm  heres one in 20g and 22lr http://www.savagearms.com/24f20.htm my thoghts wit hthe larger gauge shot gune shells ou would be be to get the deer loads or it  now you have smal pot meat larger pot meat and self defence all in one pice.

i was thinkinfg eather a m6 scout or a combnation .22 12g over under rifle.  savage arms makes one http://www.savagearms.com/24f12.htm  heres one in 20g and 22lr http://www.savagearms.com/24f20.htm my thoghts wit hthe larger gauge shot gune shells ou would be be to get the deer loads or it  now you have smal pot meat larger pot meat and self defence all in one pice.

Hillbilly, those combo's are great guns. Thhat combination especially of 12 gauge plus 22LR makes a very good hunting/survival firearm.

The only downside it has is long range hunting and the animals in these parts are wary for sure so larger game or long range would be difficult.

Great find though.

I think the .22 magnum over .12 ga. would be even better.

.22 mg is a good load. Especially higher grain but so specialized to buy in bulk around here. 

My Dad has a Browning .222 over 20 ga that was marketed as a turkey gun...judging by the engravings on it. The darn thing is nickle plated with what looks like Rosewood furniture....gaudiest lookin' gun I ever used in my life. I absolutely hated it until the first time I took it hunting while camping on the Chattahoochee River and came back to camp with one Cane Cutter, one grey fox squirrel, a quail, and a Blue Teal. I'll never forget that supper that night on the river, and I'll never speak ill of that gun again....although I did always want to wrap it in camo tape.

and I'll never speak ill of that gun again....although I did always want to wrap it in camo tape.

There's not much ugly that can't be prettied up with a little camo tape.

Good thing for a few of my ex girlfriends that I didn't have it around at "certain" times.