WildSurvive Forum
oldfatguy

Woven paracord watch band.

Here is a woven paracord watchband I made over the weekend for a friend at work.

dsc04915n.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

To start out, gather all the things you will need.

Watch, buckle, paracord (two pieces)

Mutlitool (or needle nose pliers)

Hemostat (picked this up at a army surplus for $2.00)

Small flat blade screw driver

Ruler

Remove the band by compressing the spring pins using a small screw driver.  Be careful that the spring pins don't go flying when you slide them from the watch body.

dsc04917cg.jpg

Put the pins back into the watch body.

dsc04918l.jpg

Cut your first length of paracord for the top half of the band.  You will need to get the size correct, as there is no adjustment once you have completed the band. Use a piece of cord to measure your wrist and make sure to leave a little extra.  Figure in the width of the watch and buckle (Remember the buckle slides together, so measure it when the two pieces are hooked together.

I make the top piece (connected to the top of the watch) a little shorter as this seems to fit better. The woven paracord on this one is 2 inches between the watch and buckle. There will be three strands running between the buckle and the watch, which will take an additional 24 inches of paracord for the weave.  This totals 30 inches ((2 x 3 = 6) + 24 = 30 inches) so I add some extra - I started with about 32-34 inches.

Melt the ends of the paracord.

dsc04919gf.jpg

I then use the pliers to flatten the melted ends, making then easier to thread between the pins and watch.

dsc04920oe.jpg

dsc04921qj.jpg

Start at the buckle end with a larks head, with the short end (about half the length of the band section) to the middle.

Be careful when threading the cord between the watch and pin, as the pins will bend.

dsc04922e.jpg

Thread the long end through the watch pin, going down (from the watch face down) and then doing a second wrap about the pin (for spacing).

Adjust the length between the buckle and band.

dsc04923aqn.jpg

Run the cord back to the buckle, making a second larks head knot and then back to the watch.

dsc04924e.jpg

Thread the cord through the pin (again down from the top) and make a second loop around the pin (going toward the inside).

dsc04925mj.jpg

It is important at this step to adjust the length of the section now, before starting the weave, so check it a couple of times and make sure all three strands between the watch and buckle are the same.

To start the weave, bring the end over the center strand (going away from the last run back to the watch), under the outside strand, then back under the center strand, over the outside strand on the other side.

dsc04926oh.jpg

Continue the weave a couple more times, leaving it loose to establish the pattern.  Double check your lenght here a couple more times.

dsc04927kr.jpg

Begin to tighen the weave, starting with the first layer. Pull it as tight as you can, then pull it a little tighter. Push each strand of the weave toward the watch, then tighten the next strand.

dsc04928d.jpg

Once you get to the free end from the first larks head knot, weave it with the center strand.  It is easier to go past the end when starting to weave this in (you can work it into the weave later).

dsc04929hk.jpg

Continue the weave to the buckle, pulling the cord as tight as possible. If you use the pliers, be careful not to abraid the cord.

dsc04930v.jpg

Continue the weave ALL the way to the buckle, pushing the strands toward the watch as tightly as possible.

Once you reach the buckle, thread the cord through to the back, then loop it under the two inside strands (the inside strands from each larks head knots on the buckle.

dsc04931u.jpg

It is ok to leave the last weave a little loose to thread the strand back through, then pull it tight, working along the path of the strand.

I will use the hemostat to pull the underside of the center weave up, making room to thread the strand back through.  (You can also use a small screw driver.)  The hemostat works great, as it starts out thin and has a smooth angle as it widens.

dsc04932yg.jpg

Loosen the center of the weave one strand at a time, working the end back toward the watch.  If need be, trim off any extra cord, melting the end.

dsc04933o.jpg

If needed, use the needle nose pliers to pull the cord through and tight.

I usually work the end under 3-4 strands.

dsc04934c.jpg

If needed, use the same process to work the first end under.

dsc04935r.jpg

You should end up with a nice smooth section.

dsc04936s.jpg

Repeat the proces with the other section of the band. I made this section about 3 inches long with about 40-45 inches of cord for the weave (55-60 inches total to start).

dsc04937g.jpg

This one took me about an hour and 15 minutes to complete (as shown on the watch), but I did stop and have coffee and some delicious monkey bread my wife made.

Good job, OFG. Even a caveman could do it watching your tutorial !

Thanks, Sharen.  The REAL test will be if Razor could do it....lol