WildSurvive Forum
oldfatguy

Old Faithful Holster

Old Faithful "Stage 3" IWB small of the back holster.

I received this for Christmas.  Old Faithful holsters can be ordered either fully assembled ($75.97), as a kit ready to assemble ($39.97) or as pieces, were you cut and mold the kydex ($27.97).  This one is a "Stage 3" kit, so you get the pieces and assemble it yourself.

They feature a 50 year warranty and a 30-day "Try it" guarantee.  http://oldfaithfulholsters.com/

dsc04788kd.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

dsc04789ow.jpg

dsc04790cs.jpg

Included with the kit are an allen wrench,  three sets of screws, each different lengths to custom fit the holster and adjust it later if needed. 

dsc04791mr.jpg

dsc04798em.jpg

The first step is to get the screw holders into the leather backing of the holster. These fit tightly.  I had to reem the holes out slightly with a small punch to get them started. 

Once you have them started, they must be hammered into the leather.

dsc04794t.jpg

dsc04795nd.jpg

They include a scrap piece of leather that is also punched to allow the sets to be driven completely through (The threaded ends protrude slightly through the leather backing.).

dsc04796z.jpg

Four screws hold the molded kydex in place and two others are used to hold the belt clips.

dsc04797ra.jpg

Once the screw sets are installed, a short piece of rubber tubing is placed over the ends that protrude through the leather backing to provide spacing.  The kit includes three different lengths in addition to a piece of tubing to allow you to cut different lengths if needed.

dsc04800u.jpg

Next, place the molded kydex over the pieces of tubing, put a washer on a screw (start with the medium length screws) and start each one to attach the kydex.

dsc04801yd.jpg

dsc04802z.jpg

Once all four screws are in place, tighten them firmly.  You will adjust the tension later with your pistol.

Repeat the process to attach the belt clips.  The leather backing is punched for various levels of depth and cant.

dsc04803vm.jpg

Once the holster is completely assembled, fit the holster to your pistol.

dsc04804ub.jpg

dsc04805kd.jpg

The fit will change as you wear the holster and it conforms to how you wear it.  If needed, readjust the screw tension.  Longer or shorter screws and/or spacers may be used to customize the fit.

I have been wearing this for a while and was surprised at the comfort.  You know it is there, but it is comfortable, even when worn while driving or sitting.

Assembly was about an hour and there are "How to" videos on the Old Faithful website.

It is very comfortable.  I have it set to ride as deep as it will go.  As you can see from there the belt clips, my belt is just under the grip.

From the other reviews I have read, Old Faithful will send you any other parts you might need if you ask.  I had a bunch of extras leftover.

Thanks, K-Bob.  It is very comfortable. The more I wear it, the more I like it.  And I agree, I have no problem putting it together and saving $35.

How wide are those clips?  Looks between 3/4 and 1 inch wide but hard to tell in the pic.  I'll have to look when I get a chance but do they offer smaller (1/2 or 1/4 inch) clips?  I love the smaller clips on my Mtac (they hide up against belt loops a little better).  I like the looks of this system as well, very customizable. 

7/8".  I would guess you could get just about any size you wanted.  These hold very well, yet release easily when you remove the holster.

I am also partial to the half kydex holsters as well.  The price sure can't be beat for what you get.  Think I'll pick up 2 of the kits.  One for me and one for my wife to experiment with. 

I want one of these so bad, i really like the option of buying multiple kydexes for different firearms, I have three different sidearms that i carry depending on weather and dress.

I have been using this for a while now and really like it. It is comfortable, yet you always know it is there.

I did notice that the screws holding the belt clips will work loose once in a while, but this might be part of the break in process.

good to know ofg i have been going back and forth between this and the crossbreed but the price of the old faithful is so much nicer

good to know ofg i have been going back and forth between this and the crossbreed but the price of the old faithful is so much nicer

My son has a Crossbreed Supertuck and likes it. He wears that just behind his hip.  I prefer small of the back carry with the grip to the right, so this works perfectly for me.

I liked being able to put it together myself.  It was fun and took less than an hour, besides saving some $$$.

I like my Comtac for the same reasons OFG, but after using it for a while, I think I would just buy separate holsters for each gun.  The process of removing the kydex and swapping around makes you have to start the break in process over again to get the tension just right and all that.  It took me a while of carry, draw test, change tension screws etc to get it "Just right". 

Just my 2 cents, but they are such economical holsters it would be easy to have one for each gun. 

thats true, but I generally carry the same one, I have a Ruger LC9 that is wonderful to carry, But i also have a Springfield XDM .40 so no matter what it is a heck of a difference to carry.

I like my Comtac for the same reasons OFG, but after using it for a while, I think I would just buy separate holsters for each gun.  The process of removing the kydex and swapping around makes you have to start the break in process over again to get the tension just right and all that.  It took me a while of carry, draw test, change tension screws etc to get it "Just right". 

Just my 2 cents, but they are such economical holsters it would be easy to have one for each gun. 

I would probably do at as well.

I think I will Buy two of them, One for the LC9 and the LCP(since the LCP is really my wifes) and one for the XDm

will do I will have to wait to buy them for a lil while. Still trying to get back to normal with the new job