WildSurvive Forum
Watcherofthewoods

Container Gardening for Apartment Living

Emma and I both love fresh produce, but we are very limited as far as growing space goes for gardening.  With no area outside to garden, we decided to turn to container gardening.

The first step was to purchase seeds and potting soil.  I stumbled upon an awesome sale at Menards where seeds that were normally 60 cents a pack were instead 5.  So...  I bought 120 packs.  I bought eveything from pumpkins to lettuce to tomatoes and peppers.  I also bought a bag of starter potting soil.

12213containergardening.jpg

The next thing that we needed was containers to start our seeds in.  I decided to use yogurt containers, and Emma decorated them.

I then did a bit of research and reading in some books that I had as far as how to start seeds off right, and what would be best for a small container.

I found a lot of people say that lettuce was a great begginer plant, so we decided to start with that.

To start off, we put potting soil in the container.  Then, we watered the soil down so that it was moist.  After that, you dig a small trench, 1/4th of an inch deep, in the middle of the soil for the seeds.  I put a seed every 1/4-1/2 of an inch. 

Then, you cover up the seeds, water them down a bit, and put the container somewhere warm (we used the top of the oven).

After 3 days, one type of lettuce that we started had sprouted.  As soon as it sprouted, we put it under a small flourecent light that we had been using to light our kitchen prep space.

After the plants grow a little more, I am going to split them half and half, and leave some under the grow light and try others at our west facing and south facing window. 

Back to Basics, The Urban Homestead, and Basic Container Gardening were all excellent resources in starting this endevour.

I will keep you all updated with how our lettuce is doing, and when we start new plants.

We are currently planning on extending the width of our window sill so that we can have larger pots there for larger plants.

A fun project, Watcher.  I believe your plants will grow better if you cycle the light off for at least a couple of hours a day.  Plants need to "sleep" too.

Here are the growth updates. 

The buttercrunch lettuce was up in 3 days, and is still growing well.  It is starting to get a little spindly though, and the stems are a little weak.  I am worried it might not be getting enough light.

1272013containergardeni.jpg

The other lettuce sprouted after about a week and is doing pretty well. 

1272013containergardeni.jpg

We also started 2 more containers of buttercrunch for testing with, and they are looking like their just starting to sprout.

Guest smallgamehunter

Good looking plants watcher

I'm doing some contained gardening myself this year its a lot different then a standard garden

The best potting soil I have found is miracle grow organic potting would from walmart

Anyone here have an indoor lighting system for container gardening?  Were looking at building one right now and I am wondering what the cost is going to be to run it each month. 

I have always used florescent shop lights when I started plants in my basement.  Inexpensive to buy and run, plus they provide the UV light plants need.

Growin' food Swede!  Thats my downstairs neighbors that grow the... Uh.... Oregano...

My roommate last year grew tomatoes and such in his room. I'm pretty sure he used the same method OFG described.