* Chronic lower respiratory diseases: 138,080

* Stroke (cerebrovascular diseases): 129,476

* Accidents (unintentional injuries): 120,859

* Alzheimer's disease: 83,494

* Diabetes: 69,071

* Nephritis, nephrotic syndrome, and nephrosis: 50,476

* Influenza and Pneumonia: 50,097

* Intentional self-harm (suicide): 38,364

A major part of survival is avoiding injury and death. According to this list health concerns are the leading causes of deaths while accidents appear down the list.

In this thread we can discuss ways to avoid unnatural death. It a forgone conclusion that we dont put our own longevity for most in our daily lives but we can discuss what we as individuals can do now to help us take better care of ourselves.

Lets focus on accidental deaths and what we can do right now to avoid checking out prematurely.

When in a vehicle, wear your seatbelt.  Always.

Iowa stats from last year showed that less than 10% of the people involved in auto crashes were not wearing seatbelts. 

People involved in auto accidents not wearing seatbelts accounted for about 85-90% of the auto accident fatalities.

If you are riding a motorcycle, wear a helmet.

35 motorcycle crash fatalities were reported in Iowa in 2011, 30 were not wearing helmets, 3 others, it was unknown if they were wearing helmets, 2 were wearing helmets.

Goid advice ofg.  Not only will yhey ptitect you in a wreck they can help you keep control of your vehicle  durring a wreck.  Ive recovered control a couple times because I was held firmly in my seat.

We should start a list. Slow down. Its not a matter of life and death if it takes you a couple of minutes more to get where your going.

Its not the black ice,the snow storm,rain storm,water on the highway, fog, dust storm, smoke or construction zone that caused the pile up. Its excessive speed. Automobile accidents are NO.1 in accidental deaths.

We should start a list. Slow down. Its not a matter of life and death if it takes you a couple of minutes more to get where your going.

Its not the black ice,the snow storm,rain storm,water on the highway, fog, dust storm, smoke or construction zone that caused the pile up. Its excessive speed. Automobile accidents are NO.1 in accidental deaths.

Most of which are caused by stupidity.

as a pedestrian even though the light says I can go I ALWAYS look all around me before stepping off the curb and continue to looke around me until I am safe on the sidewalk again I have been almost hit in the crosswalk by stupid drivers running red lights and being on the phone so be carefule

as a pedestrian even though the light says I can go I ALWAYS look all around me before stepping off the curb and continue to looke around me until I am safe on the sidewalk again I have been almost hit in the crosswalk by stupid drivers running red lights and being on the phone so be carefule

I know what you mean, SG.  When I was in Singapore in December, all those crazies there were driving on the wrong sides of the road.  I was constantly looking the wrong way when crossing streets. I learned quickly to look both directions TWICE!!

Running stop signs is the new thing around here. Just because you see some one coming up to a stop sign doesnt mean their going to stop. I cant leave the farm any more and go to town without some one trying to kill me in their vehicles. Sharen thinks Im a target. The State Police have a program they put on called Defensive Driving thats a good idea to attend.

I see that a lot as well, Swede. People in Cedar Rapids were pissing and moaning when the city started putting in red light cameras that would trigger when someone ran a red light and issued them a ticket, claiming invasion of privacy.  How is it an invasion of privacy to take your picture when you are caught breaking the law on a public street?

It is amazing how many people just flat out ignore stop signs.  My sister-in-law's grandfather spouted off frequently that he "didn't believe in stop signs".  At the time, everyone just laughed it off as him being a crusty old fart.  Sadly, there is now a marker at the intersection where he discovered that semi's do believe in stop signs.

Don't forget the classic "Don't go to stupid places with stupid people and do stupid things".  Mantra.  I'm sure it's saved me more than once.

Statistically speaking, avoid being President of the United States.

Of 44 presidents, 18% (8) have died while in office, of which 9% (4) assassinated.

Statistically speaking, avoid being President of the United States.

Of 44 presidents, 18% (8) have died while in office, of which 9% (4) assassinated.

Wish full thinking Fat Guy?

Wish full thinking Fat Guy?

Nah, I crossed that one off a while back. Hanging around here, I've probably been labeled a terrorist in training.

A lot of survival shows do a great job of demonstrating different strategies to help you get out alive. I would like to think that we point out those skills but what we should demonstrate a plan to keep people safe BEFORE they venture out into the wilds.

Study the area you plan to visit.

Exercise and get in better shape before you go.

Plan and then plan some more.

Make a list of things you will need.

Navigation tools is a must and learn how to use them.Garman E Trex or Spot are good ones.

Pay constant attention as you travel/hike if thats what you plan to do.

Ask locals in the area about dangers or things to watch for.

Tell some one where you are going and when you plan to return.

Tell a neighbor the same if you trust them.

You can leave a note on your vehicles window which direction you are going.

First aid, bug spray or lotion are good items.

A lot of survival shows do a great job of demonstrating different strategies to hepl you get out alive. I would like to think that we point out those skills but what we should demonstrate a plan to keep people safe before they venture out into the wilds.

Study the area you plan to visit.

Exercise and get in better shape before you go.

Plan and then plan some more.

Make a list of things you will need.

Navigation tools is a must and learn how to use them.Garman E Trex or Spot are good ones.

Pay constant attention as you travel/hike if thats what you plan to do.

Ask locals in the area about dangers or things to watch for.

Tell some one where you are going and when you plan to return.

Tell a neighbor the same if you trust them.

You can leave a note on your vehicles window which direction you are going.

First aid, bug spray or lotion are good items.

Check the weather conditions for the area and time frame you will be out.  I have a portable National Weather Service Radio that I use. Weather conditions are broadcast in the area on one of seven different frequencies.  It can also be set to sound an alarm if a severe weather warning is issued for the programmed area.

Flash floods, especially in canyons can be deadly.  Watch for debris and be aware of storms that could be miles away.

It is also referred to as an "all hazards" warning - emergency information, no matter what the cause, will be broadcast for the area.

It never hurts to have extra gear, but know how to use the gear you have and also have a backup plan or skill set to handle the times the gear fails or isn't available.  Kind of the best of both worlds.  It's great to be able to build a bow drill or use a fire plow and start a fire, but it sure doesn't hurt to have a lighter in your pocket.  ;)  If time and the elements are working against you.  (Sub zero weather for example), speed becomes more important before you lose enough body heat to become hypothermic and lose the ability to use your own hands. 

In the same note, don't be dependent on gear, because gear can fail or be lost or not be available.  Always be learning skills and picking up knowledge to bypass the gear if necessary.

Best of both worlds and being able to use either skills or gear will help you survive.

Of course. If we can carry bear grills and a vanload of gear into every situation you can ever encounter then who would ever need skills. People die all the time even though they have the latest greatest gear money can buy. Anyone that takes the time and effort to master primative skills will always stand a better chance of surviving any sutuation encountered sinply because they have the miindset to simplify. Im an expert at primative firemaking yet I always carry a lighter. But if it dont work I can always fall back on skills. Gear dependancy can  hurt youin the real world.  Like doc says. Have both.

After being in nutrition and nursing classes this semester, I want to put in my .02.

* Heart disease: 597,689  (Can be prevented in most cases by healthy diet and exercise)

* Cancer: 574,743 (Is not always preventable, but can often be caused by life choices such as unhealthy eating, using tobacco, or drinking alcohol)

* Chronic lower respiratory diseases: 138,080 (WASH YOUR HANDS, DON'T GET SICK!)

* Stroke (cerebrovascular diseases): 129,476 (Can be caused by poor health habbits)

* Accidents (unintentional injuries): 120,859 (Wear a seat belt!  Mine saved my life!  Also, slow down, its better on mileage and can save your butt.)

* Alzheimer's disease: 83,494

* Diabetes: 69,071 (Cab be caused by poor health habbits, even in people of normal weight.  A recent trend that has been occuring is called Skinny Outside, Fat Inside.  People that eat poorly, but can catabolize food quickly, are often victim to this.  Another common trend with this is that women who often eat healthy, but do not excercise, are becoming increasingly pre-diabetic and developing type 2 diabetes.)

* Nephritis, nephrotic syndrome, and nephrosis: 50,476

* Influenza and Pneumonia: 50,097 (WASH YOUR HANDS!)

* Intentional self-harm (suicide): 38,364 (Mental health is a huge issue in the United States that needs to be better addressed.  Take time to help people out, and always smile.  You never know what that simple showing of your teeth can mean to someone.

In recap:

~Take care of your body, and it will take care of you.  We are not meant to run on processed foods!  This is something huge that I need to work on myself.  It is very likely that I could become pre-diabetic if I continued my eating habbits from earlier in this year.  Get in your servings of fruit, focus on as many vegies as possible (Vary them), eat whole grains (*Just because something says whole grain on the package, DOES NOT MEAN ITS ALL WHOLE GRAIN.  It can contain a minute amount and still have that label affixed on it.  Check for whole grain as the first ingredient) these whole grains are better for maintaining your blood sugar levels, because they are broken down slowly.  Processed grains like white bread, white rice, etc all are quickly consumed, make your BSL jump sky high, and then fall right back down.  With meat, focus on fish, it is full of helpful things for your body.  When cooking with fat, use unsaturated fats such as olive oil over saturated fats like lard or crisco. Saturated fats are straight carbon chains that can easily clog your arteries.  Unsaturated fats have double bonds with the carbon atoms that allow them to more easily flow through your blood stream, thus making them less likely to clog you up.  Eat fresh, not processed!  Do this slowly, limit, don't eliminate.

~Take care of your body by also regularly exercising.  60 minutes a day is awesome, but even 15 is a great start!  Go for a walk, park your car farther from the store, take the stairs and not the elevator.  Slowly build up into more and more activity.

~Take care of your mind.  If you have a problem, talk with someone about it.  Get help, don't let it stew!  Also, keep your mind active with games and puzzles to help reverse the effects of aging.

~Be smart!  Buckle up, wear a helmet, and always be alert.

~Lastly, never listen to anything that Bear Grylls has to say...  That is all.

Whooooaaaa!  I actually learned things in college!  Whoo hooo lol

Mental awareness can be the key to survival. After all is said and done every year people manage to get lost. There comes a time you have to admit your lost. Then stop and gather your thoughts.Panic can kill. The Cree in Canada have a saying when they find some one with their clothes tattered, scratched bruised and bleeding that they went "boo boo". As night approaches they ran faster and faster hoping to find their way to keep from spending the night out.

Avoiding panic can be a life saver in most any situation no matter if your lost or challenged in an urban area. Keep your head while others are losing theirs.

Along those same lines, use common sense and do whatever you can to avoid injury. This is even more crucial in an emergency or survival situation.  Don't take unnecessary chances and pay attention to what you are doing and what is around you.

If you do get hurt, fall or anything else, stop and assess the situation.  Did you get hurt in the fall?  What is the extent of the injury? Continuing to push on can easily make the injury worse if not treated.

There are those who risk their lives for thrills. Ive risked my life as a young man foolishly and for some unexplained reason managed to survive.

Now I can find little sympathy for those who seek recreation by risking their lives. Its their lives I guess but I wonder why tax payers have to shoulder the costs of having to go out a bring their broken bodies back?

A method of survival is not taking unnecessary chances with our lives especially if it involves innocent others.

There are those who risk their lives for thrills. Ive risked my life as a young man foolishly and for some unexplained reason managed to survive.

Now I can find little sympathy for those who seek recreation by risking their lives. Its their lives I guess but I wonder why tax payers have to shoulder the costs of having to go out a bring their broken bodies back?

A method of survival is not taking unnecessary chances with our lives especially if it involves innocent others.

~ we love watching thrill seekers though! Like Bull riding, Sky Diving, tight rope walking, lion taming, crocodile hunting, swimming with sharks, NASCAR, "Running with the bulls!"  Bull fighting! Snow ski jumping, extreme kayaking! Drag racing, UFC fighting, Anyone who says their going to do something stupid like jump the grand canyon on a pogo stick or something.... WE'RE gonna put a camera on them!  :thumbsup: