WildSurvive Forum
Sign in to follow this  
bobimbob

Catching fish in a weir

This may not be the place for this so mod place it in the proper place.

Looking at the many ways of sustaining oneself in a survival situation I would find that using a weir could let me fish all day long without being actualy present. A weir is a woven basket/stariner/barrier used as a fish trap laid across a shallow or a pool, a creek etc...

Do you use/know of them?

A fish weir can be tapered, spiraled, tidal etc... and are easy to make with woven branches, sticks placed into the creek stream, shallows, tidal pockets where the fish come in to feed, rest or hide from larger predatory fish.  Fish are "led" into a maze with unidirectional "gates" where they can swin into but can't easily get out of and unlike a net they can still swim about in a pocket trap and stay fresh and not drown. Check it at intervals, empty and replace any bait that you you may have used not nessessary.

Guest adrenjunky

Never used one but want to. It would be fun to try.

Made some in creeks when I was younger, but when fish got in I let them out since I wasn't goingto eat them. Just to see if it would work, used a spiral form with one way gates

Jusy cut some small branches and place them into in the creek bed to form a palissade in the proper shape, you can even let some branches with leave on the to add to the wall, You could weave them with twine to make it more stable at the top. Some people just make a basket affair like a minnow trap except bigger depending on the fish.

I recall while riding the Gunpowder River in Maryland (US) on horseback, I had a favorite spot. The water came down from a bend and there was a small set of rapids with huge boulders.  Just to the side there was a natural pool of calmer water sitting in the boulders.  I would wedge a decent chunk of a log across the open flow.  This would allow excess water to flow just slightly over and under the log.  The fish culd not get through and there were plenty by days end.

This is a great way to learn how to tickle fish, trap them in a wear then wade in and settle down, if you keep very still the fish will often use you as shelter and shade now you just have to try and get your hand under them. Great fun especially for kids on a nice hot afternoon whilst picnicking next to the river.

I know all about traps and how they work due to the fact my dad has a gill pot liscense bait fishing license and a bunch of other but they all involve catching fish in traps .....if you were going to make one in fresh water you would make one similar to a killie trap. or a cage with a very narrow opeing so when the fish trys getting out they hit barbs on the inside of the cage becuasen when you make the funhnel going in you must have spear sort of things jutting inside so they cant get out but smooth on the inside of the opening.

hope that made sense its hard to explain

Guest blacksmith

there is a book that shows you how to make all the fish traps used up here and that is a lot the book name is Indian fishing by Hilary stewart