WildSurvive Forum

After a more careful review of Doros picture and the close example of a turtle track I noticed a difference between the left side of the track and the right side of the tracks. A turtle track has a definite consistency of gait where this track lacks the consistency equal on both sides.

Therefore Im accepting Doros contention that the track is that of a squirrel with a broken leg. It was the slight differences of pattern that I over looked. I did not notice that difference till I studied it more carefully. My sincere oligopolies to Doro and everyone else for my mistake. I forgot the cardinal rule of investigation and science to examine carefully and rule out possibilities and admitt I was wrong.  :arigato:

possible.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Thanks, Swede.  We all make mistakes.  It is by far tougher to admit to those mistakes and take steps to correct any misunderstandings that may have resulted from those mistakes.

doh.gif

Must be something different with Illinois turkeys. The turkeys I see here in Iowa either walk and then take off or land and walk off. I have never seen them land and immediately take back off without taking steps, even in the foot or more of snow we have right now. They also seem to keep their wings up both when landing and taking off (They do drag their tails when they land, making obvious marks from that.).  I am still trying to find some wings marks in the snow made by the turkeys that visit my yard a couple of ties a day.

doh.gif

Must be something different with Illinois turkeys. The turkeys I see here in Iowa either walk and then take off or land and walk off. I have never seen them land and immediately take back off without taking steps, even in the foot or more of snow we have right now. They also seem to keep their wings up both when landing and taking off (They do drag their tails when they land, making obvious marks from that.).  I am still trying to find some wings marks in the snow made by the turkeys that visit my yard a couple of ties a day.

Just for the sake of argument lets say an old tom turkey weighing 20 pounds, coming in for a landing in what I call one step above crash landing, thinks he landing on solid ground only to find out that hes landing in three foot of powdery snow. Splat and his feet are still not on the ground. Hes faced with swimming out. He cant take a couple of steps.Could that be possible?

Just for the sake of argument lets say an old tom turkey weighing 20 pounds, coming in for a landing in what I call one step above crash landing, thinks he landing on solid ground only to find out that hes landing in three foot of powdery snow. Splat and his feet are still not on the ground. Hes faced with swimming out. He cant take a couple of steps.Could that be possible?

Possible.  When I see them do that, their momentum takes them down, where they stop (someplace), kind of look around, access the situation, try to walk, flop around a bit, then try to fly out. 

I am not quite sure how a 20 pound turkey, coming down is going to some how stop his downward motion and fly back up without multiple wing flops on the ground.