WildSurvive Forum
AR7

A thousand uses for a BANDANA

A bandana is a very usefull stuff in the outdoor.

For an exemple, I love my Eskabar knife. But I think a wraped paracord is very unconfortable, and the zitel handdle (or micarta handdle in case of the Izula) make it bulky. My solution is to wrap a bandana around the squeletton handdle. It's quick and effective:

dsc03920g.jpg

What about you? How do you use your bandana?

I try to keep a shop towel in my four wheeler from my old motorcycle dirt bike days. We called them a blood rag.Other then that I dont carry any thing else.

I keep several in each FAK.  They are good for tying together to make slings, or around splints.  Also they can be used for pressure dressings, Ball one up and tie the 2nd over it as a pressure dressing. 

I keep several in each FAK.  They are good for tying together to make slings, or around splints.  Also they can be used for pressure dressings, Ball one up and tie the 2nd over it as a pressure dressing. 

Good multi use items. I carry bright ones to use as trail flags.

Ive used one to prefilter dirty water before boiling, Ive used them as a water syphon. Ive built a 3 stage water filter system with them.  my favorite use though is during winter camping. when I'm all snugged up in my sleeping bag and cinched down to just a tiny blow hole i lay one over my face. it traps a little heat and lets most my breath moisture escape. granted it will be an ice sickle by morning but it does keep you from breathing frigid air all night long.

ive also used one for a snow ankor for a tent. tied the corners like a parachute and filled it with snow and buried it in the snow. worked better than some deadman ankors ive used with sticks.

I almost always have one along.

They work well as a head band to keep the sweat out of your eyes.

bandanaf.jpg

In hot weather, I will also wet it down and wear it as a "do-rag", covering my head to help cool off and keep the sun from frying the top of my head.

Great to have along to wet down and use to wipe down when out hiking.

From "Outdoor Life":

Here are my top 25 most interesting uses for this humble swatch of fabric – in no specific order.

1. Signal – a bright colored bandana can be hung up as a flag over a campsite that might be lost in tight brush or tall grasses, or swing it around on a stick as a signal flag.

2. Bag – tie opposing corners together to make a bag to carry all sorts of loose items.

3. Tourniquet – not so much for snake bites, but for a dangerously bleeding extremity. This is a serious deal, when you have to decide to lose the limb or lose the life.

4. Cordage – tear off strips or use the whole bandana twisted into a cord.

5. Breathing Mask – tie it around your face like a bandit for a sand storm or as a pollen protector. Wet the bandana to help a little more as a smoke filter, if you get caught in a fire.

6. Sun Protection – tie it on your head like a skull cap and leave some cloth hanging down the back of your neck.

7. First Aid Sling – fix up that busted arm by using your bandana as a sling.

8. Cold Compress – from a fever to a sprain, to a venomous bite, wet the cloth down or fold it up with snow or ice inside for a cold compress.

9. Bullet Patches for Muzzleloader – now we’re talking.

10. Washcloth or Towel – wash with it or dry with it; or have two bandanas and you can enjoy both options.

11. Kitchen Helper – whether you need a pot mitt to get your kettle off the fire, or a dish rag to clean up after the meal, the bandana has you covered.

12. Sling – Just a few weeks or months of practice at slinging rocks, and you’ll be hitting the side of a barn (or better). It also helps to imagine that you are David and you’re fighting a giant.

13. Water Filter – just a pre-filter really, but it will improve the clarity of the water, and it can protect your precious water filter from premature clogging.

14. Snot Rag – I remember my grandfather using a hankie, pretty gross if you think about it, but when disposable tissues aren’t an option, there’s your bandana ready for action.

15. Bandage – hopefully it’s a clean, new bandana if you have to slap it on a wound. But if you are out of sterile dressings, your new bandana will be cleaner than the sock you were wearing.

16. Cleaning Patches for Your Firearms – gotta keep those barrels clean.

17. Bikini for Your Lady – there’s supposed to be a way to tie up four bandanas to create a reasonable, modest bikini. I’m sorry, but I’m going to have to do some more research on this.

18. Warmth – tie it around your neck for a gaiter, tie it around your ears for muffs, tie it around your face to stave off frostbite.

19. Hat – several ways to tie it for a serviceable head covering. Anyone with long hair can use it as a headband.

20. Mark a Trail – whole or in pieces, mark your trail and then collect the pieces before you bug out of there.

21. Gear Wrap - wrap up your gear in your backpack to prevent it from making noise

22. Napkin – that’s obvious enough.

23. Eye Patch – whether you have an eye injury, or you’re playing pirates with the kids.

24. Fire – if the bandana is cotton, you can soak it in oil for a torch, or use it dry as back-up tinder for emergency fire starting.

25. Toilet Paper – this could be your final use of the bandana, as you gratefully employ it one last time.

Very cool OFG, special printing or do they sell those at their gift shop or something? 

I have two that are very similar of New Orleans.

They had a bunch made up and sell them at the gift shop.  I was looking for a couple and said "SCORE!"

I have the les stroud keep cool one and is wearing it right now around my neck works great I don't know how to tie it around my head I think I have too much hair

this is what I am using I wet it and it keeps very cool I wrap it around my neck :thumbup:

DSCF0775_zps351bce48.jpg

And it looks great too!