WildSurvive Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Muddy Pete

Hiking the Trail Appalachian

Seven years ago, my buddy and I decided to hike the Appalachian trail. Since then, there was a divorce, a kid, diabetes, life, another wife, work, work, Coke Zero, work, work.

I have decided, that I am going to pick up where we left off (Which was at Hey! Wanna go hike on the Appalachian Trail? and me saying Okay.) and, sometime this fall or next spring go hit the trail.   

I would love that, Muddy.  One of the first books I read (way back in 5th grade) on outdoor stuff is "Skills for Taming the Wilds" by Bradford Angier.  Very old school, but a lot of his examples are from hiking on the Appalachian Trail.  I would love to hike at least part of it some day.

I loaned him Bill Bryson's A walk in the woods which is where the who idea originated. He wanted to do a series of day hikes and stay at a motel. I wanted to do a few overnighters.

This was back when neither of us had had a clue what we doing. The Shenandoah section sounded like it was commercialized enough that if we got into trouble we'd have a safety net. And it looked pretty nice.

Doing a few day trips solves a lot of logistical problems with food and gear.