WildSurvive Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Watcherofthewoods

Scariest/Strangest Experiance in the Woods?

Alrighty y'all!  So, this is a common thread on other forums, so I thought I should start it here as well.

What is the scariest, or most unusual thing that you have ever seen or experienced in the woods?

Weirdest for me was a time hiking a local park on a dreary drisley day.  I had this odd feeling all day, like something wasn't quite right.  I came across a deer that had been ripped open (probably coyotes), and when I came across it, everything got quiet.  I can't explain it, but it was just really weird.

After I found the deer, I felt odd for about a week or so.  Like I wasn't... Me???  I've felt like that a couple times since where I am just out of it, but normally its because I was sick or something.  I had it once due to strobe lights and another when I drank out of a crick as a kid.

So, whatcha got?

Scariest in recent history...

I was sitting in my back yard early last summer, just after dark when a horrendous scream came from the trees by the ditch. Repeated a couple of times. The hair on my arms was standing up.  Grabbed a flashlight to investigate. 

There is a reason they are called "screech owls".

I was sleeping out in the yard a year ago on the 4th of July.  Fell asleep, pistol beside me, feeling fine.  Woke up an hour or so later to something making noise beside me.  I looked over and saw one of our cats.  She then went stock still, and then bolted.  After which I head a horrible screeching noise that sounded like someone screaming bloody freakin murder.  Revolver got cocked, flashlight turned on, and I went inside.

Turns out it was a damn barn owl.

Scariest I've ever had though was camping just down the road from my house.  It was the first time in my canvas diamond fly and I was pretty proud of myself for setting up and sleeping with very little.  Fell asleep, and then woke up to an awful noise.  Next morning I talked with another guy about it and were pretty sure it was a bobcat.

I was similar to this, but almost more human sounding.

Edited to add-

This is closer to what we heard.

I am not one to hear a noise and start thinking of ghost and the boogy man. Most of the time I can figure out real easily what I have heard.  One time my brother in law and I kept hearing something traveling through the woods behind our houses (our families shares a large farm) moaning and groaning really loud and seemed to be traveling at a pretty good pace also. We had heard it over a couple of different nights and finally decided we would figure out what was making the noise We were standing at the edge of the tree line where is seemed that it would exit the woods and right at that point if just stopped. What seemed like 10 to 15 feet from the field we were standing in.  We no longer heard it walking or moaning. It was as if it just disappeared. We even went as far as walking into the trees to see if it was standing there watching us and neither of us saw a thing. I had never heard anything like that before and I have never heard it again.

There is  another story I can think of that Kentucky Bob was with me when it happened, but I will see if he wants to share that one.

We were out in the barns killing Sparrows that were roosting at night. We were climbing the ladder up into the hay shed and I shined the light up and suddenly a Barn Owl stuck his head out stretching his neck to the limit and started circling his head around trying to see into the light. I had never seen a Barn Owl before and I had no idea what was looking at me. It scared me so bad I had a sulfur taste in my mouth.  :scared:

Scariest one when I was little was out at the same park, I was walking around and just was about to start on a trail when I heard a nasty growl coming from the bushes.  Not sure if it was a dog or big cat, but it scared the bejeebers out of me.

I have 2 of them, 1st was when I was young (I think 10 or 11) and we were mushroom hunting with the folks.  I stepped onto a cut off stump and heard the rattle just as I saw a white flash 2 or 3 times before I realized it was a snake striking at me. (The open mouth was white as white can be).  It was wrapped around the twisted roots of the stump so it couldn't reach me.  It was HUGE, (At least to a 10 year old) and I jumped about 10 feet in the air and hit the ground running.  My dad didn't believe that I saw a rattlesnake, but I know what I heard and saw.  And I've seen rattlers in the woods twice since then. They are really rare around here but they do pop up once in a while.  I got really lucky that day. 

The second was at Basic Training.  But I was on guard duty with another fellow out in the middle of nowhere  guarding the entrance to a road that hand't seen traffic for years.  (Just fun busy work for privates in the Army LOL).  The first 4 hours were uneventful to say the least, but we started hearing barking and growling and a pack of wild dogs (2 Shepherds and a bunch of mutt looking cross-breads of various sizes) started circling us at the edge of the woods about 35 or 40 feet away.  We threw rocks at them and sticks but one of the shepherds kept probing us and coming closer, growling at us.  They did this for about an hour then they all just took off.  Needless to say we stood back to back for the rest of the duty until the truck showed up to pick us up.  I have a feeling that had there only been one of us out there, the dogs would have gotten more brave.  But MAN did they sound vicious.  scared011.gif

My biggest scare was when I was coming home from work,  after midnight. It was hot and I had several windows down to catch the breeze. I came to the T in the road, slowed way down to get ready to turn and heard the scariest sound like a cat's meowing, deep low and it got louder and louder. I was so shook up, I could not find the buttons to shut the windows, thinking it was so close it was going to jump in the car and I was trying to turn the corner at the same time.. When I got home, 15 min. later, Swede said I was white as a ghost. I'll never forget that sound.