WildSurvive Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Muddy Pete

Muddy Pete hates to wear shoes

I don't like to wear shoes. Have felt that way for several years. I'm not Cody or Rob Briddle, footwear was invented for reason. I go barefoot when I can, I wear sandals or flip flops during the summer. That being said,

I'm on a quest for some quality warm weather foot wear. 

p5270001.jpg

I hated wearing shoes as a kid on the farm and had many piles of chicken shit, duck shit and dog shit squish between my toes. Finally dealing with cuts and stone bruises on my feet I gave up the practice. Nothing like a Honey Locust thorn stuck in the bottom of your foot to make you wish you had shoes on.

When I was growing up in the summer, the only time I would put on shoes was Sunday when we went to church.

Muddy, I got just the right advice for ya.

1- Try out Keen sandals.  I have a pair of Keen Newports that Ive been wearing for about 2 weeks.  I absolutely love them!  There is a lot of rubber between you and the ground, your toes are protected, and there is a lot of breeze.  I haven't been hot in them yet.  Only downfall is you get a syndrome we like to call Teva feet where your feet reek to the high heavens.  Go try out a few different styles.  I had Ow Why Hees or something like that first and they just did not fit my feet right at all.  I tried these Newports and fell in love! Linky to the Newports

2-Merrell barefoot shoes.  I am not a fan of most Merrell shoes, they just do not fit my feet right at all.  The arch is too high, then get hot, I don't like how they look, etc...  That being said, I LOVE their barefoot line.  There are so many different kinds to choose from!  I have the Flux Gloves and I absolutely love them.  They fit my feet great, have a little bit of sole protection, but still give that barefoot feel.  They also breathe very nicely.  I wore them for my 10 mile hike in South Dakota and never once were my feet sore.  They also are my running shoes (new primary use), and look great for everyday wear too.  The other style that I like is their trail glove because it has a tough sole as well, but it just didn't fit my feet as well. Linky to the Flux Glove Sport

3- If your looking for a boot that breathes, do NOT get Goretex.  Shit don't work...  The best that I have found, is the Vasque Breeze.  I am going to be getting a pair of these shortly.  They are probably the most comfortable boots I have ever put on my feet.  They make a pair without goretex so they breath better, but aren't waterproof.  That being said, they are still boots, and they still will be warmer, but they can take more of a beating. Linky to the Vasque Breeze 2.0 w/out GTX

4. All of the above options range from 70-140 bucks.  I love all of them, and would highly recommend them.  If cash mulah is an issue, make yo' own dern' shoes!  They are called Huarache (Er-ach-ae) sandals, and they kick ass.  I made a pair with leather soles 2 years ago, and wore them around a bit.  I didn't make them clean and nicely, but rather it was just a rough project.  If I had taken the time, they would have been way better.  You can buy rubber for the soles, use old tires, use leather, or use a combo of leather and tire.  I am going to be making a new pair sometime this summer and am going to put more effort into making a quality product.  Linky on how to make your own Huaraches

Sorry if this is too long of a post, I just really have a thing for shoes lately, and I've been doing tons of research!  I've had great results with my Keens and Merrells and hope to with my Vasques as well.

Hope this helps! 

Any other questions feel free to ask!