WildSurvive Forum
Docwatmo

Home made shelter shapes, whats your favorite?

I'm ready to make my shelter from my drop cloth material.  But I'm having a hard time deciding what shape I wish to make.  The sheet I have is 9 x 16.  I have always used a square 9 x 12 tarp and used it mostly with an open lean-to style.  I did shorten it once so I could use the corners as end flaps but it was just a tad too short that way.  I'm considering doing either a square with extra corners to fold down as end flaps so I can keep the size a little bigger. 

What is everyone's favorite designs?

If you could hand make one from scratch, what shape would you use and why?

Is one shape more "Versatile" than another (can be done with or without end flaps, or completely enclosed etc)?

First off 9x 12 isnt square.  :P  ive always preffered square tarps. A 10 by10 is about petfect for most aplications. You can set it up so many different ways I couldnt list them all.  Also. If I had a choice I would arc tbe edges in whats called a cantinary cut. It really makes it pitch tight with fewer stakes. When its tight it flaps less. Makes less noise is stronger and sheds water better.    You can set it up diamond fly style  to meaning if you use two trees you only need to stakes to guy it ot or 4 and your walking  poles.  Have fun with it. I love DIY gear.

LOL, Yeah, square, meant rectangle (DOH)  :rofl: 

Good info, I hand't thought much about the cantinary cut for this project because I was under the impression that it was better suited to flexible materials like nylon.  Wasn't sure how non nylon material would take to it.  This stuff is more like cloth covered plastic, 100% water proof, but not flexible like nylon. 

I'd be willing to give it a try though, This stuff is fairly cheap.

I was thinking of the TP style single pole and wrap around styles to get more wind/rain protection, but it reduces the foot print too much for my taste. 

So many options and only one piece of cloth.  :hugegrin:

10x10 is a good size. My Kelty is a 12x12 and is fine in open space but in confined woods with lots of branches it's too big.

That's what I like about my 9 x 12.  If I have the room it's great, if not, I can drop a grommet and shrink it a bit.  Only problem I have with it is I hate the "Plastic" blowing in the breeze noise.  I am still thinking of picking up a 9 x 12 canvas, but that will be a bit heavy.  This is an interim design, 1/2 way between the two.  Should reduce noise by 95% and give that "Canvas" rain sound on the cloth like side.

Me and two buddies survived the worst hail storm in history around here right over in the pond pasture under a 9x12 canvas tarp. We had a leanto and just before it hit the wind changed completely around and blew into the shelter. We kicked out the upright poles flopped the tarp over down wind and used them to hold the canvas up off us and prayed the tent pegs held. The wind kept the canvas plastered on top of us and one buddy raised up to see if the hail stones the size of golf balls were done. Nope.  :woot:

Guest smallgamehunter

Sew a tab to tie paracord to in the middle or use a monkey fist to make it into a teepee that's my two cents worth