WildSurvive Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Docwatmo

Bear Grylls "Get out Alive"

Well, my wife pulled up the first 3 episodes of this show and watched them online.  I was working on my tablet but kind of watching in the background.  My Impressions.

1.  Holy product placement batman!!  Every item is "BG" stamped and colored.  I know most of it is just branded gear, so some is good some is great and some is not so good.  Each piece should be researched prior to purchase.

2.  The whole show is a pretense for Bear to "Save the day" or "Show off" or "Grandstand".  If bear wasn't there, it would actually be a decent show.

3.  Someone is going to get seriously hurt or killed on this show.  Think Survivor with time limits and bear pushing people to do the same stupid things he did on his shows.  Running on mountain passes, jumping into unknown water etc, etc.  I'm a firm believer in pushing people to their limits on these kind of shows, but some of the stuff is just needlessly dangerous.  (He is trying to turn these people into "Bear Grylls" style survivalists which is not a good thing.

4.  Bear does all the deciding on who goes and who stays.  This part I'm on the fence about.  The good thing is, unlike survivor or many of the other shows where conniving, duchebaggery, ganging up on (Where several week players take out a strong player) etc, don't work here.  (I really like this).  The stronger survivalists do keep moving on. The bad thing is, it appears to be a popularity contest with Bear, if you do the stuff the way he would do it (Not necessarily the right way or the best way), you curry favor with him and he'll keep you on longer.    I would prefer to see an independent panel of judges make the decisions.  (Particularly a group of well know survivalists "Judges" Like Les, Cody, David etc.  Would make for a much more interesting discussion on who they keep and why.

It's a little fun to watch, but don't expect to get much "Survival" anything out of it.  What few tips and tricks they share are the 2% stuff that you would only use in a specific situation in a specific place.  I'd prefer to see more useful tips that could be used in a wider range of circumstances.  (I know this is targeted at the masses so even the simple stuff may be new to them). 

All in all, It's only entertainment and very little of that as it is.  I'd give it 2 out of 5 points just because the scenery is spectacular and there are some interesting concepts and scenarios for the show.

I would like to see Bear interact with the contestant instead on waiting for them to foul up and then making criticism from another spot. Lead from the front, not the rear.

Exactly, He "Observes" from a distance and then "Swoops in" to save the day.  I stopped watching the 2nd episode at the 3rd or 4th time he did this. 

Guest smallgamehunter

happy097.gif happy097.gif  :thumbsup: :rofl: