WildSurvive Forum
Swede

Remote Idaho 'River of No Return Wilderness'

Car of California man who kidnapped girl, 16, 'he had crush on' is found in remote Idaho 'River of No Return Wilderness' - 1,000 miles from where he 'killed her mother and brother'

* James DiMaggio's car found hidden under brush in Idaho Friday morning

* Horseback riders say they saw DiMaggio and teenage Hanna Anderson hiking through rugged wilderness Wednesday

The first thing they will need is water. It will depend on how much they can carry on how far they will have to be away from drinking water. The next thing will be fire starting equipment. They wont be able to keep a fire going 24/7 so many fires will be needed as the days pass.

What else will they need to survive in the Idaho wilderness?

they will need something to boil water in or some chemical water purifying tablets or drops.  idk if they have a backpacking filter such as my katadyne vario but if they were seen carrying camping gear,  he might be smart enough to think ahead of needs.  they can only carry so much food before they will have to start hunting or fishing for protein and without knowledge of local flora might not be able to utilize wild plants as a food source.  It probably gets cold in the mountains at night so proper clothing and possible sleeping bags would be necessary. 

im sure there will be helicopters using forward looking inferred cameras will be searching. if there exposed and not in a cave or a very thick wooden shelter they should be spotted. 3500 miles of woods is pretty big.  I hope they catch him soon.

Sleeping on the ground even with a small packable tent will suck the body temperature right out of you so long cold nights ahead. No bathroom, no showers, bug bites, gnawing hunger,cold and damp nights they wont last much more then a week.

Remember when Ron Hood did the 2 week survival video about 13 years ago? That was filmed in the same area. I remember from the forum discussion that the biggest threats were the elements and lack of food.

In the old Boy Scout survival manual they thought forest areas were starvation areas.

It was crazy here in San Diego. Lakeside is about 20 miles from where I live. My cell phone was going off like crazy with Amber Alerts.. Scared the heck out of me when it sounded off. Glad it's over... Sad about the mom and son.. Prayers for the girl who knows what long term issues will ensue.