WildSurvive Forum
greene

Trapping

If you put shredded cheese on the trigger smash it on and let it sit for a day and it will dry out making the mouse tug on it. Set your trap along a wall on a 90 degree angle to the wall so it will catch one coming from either direction. Victor used to make the best mouse traps but I dont like the wide plastic triggers.

I have caught coons with a piece of tin foil on the pan instead of bait. They cant resist grabbing at any thing shiny. Member Sonny is an expert coyote trapper.

No I didn't have any so I just tied a piece of bread covered in peanut butter to the trap.

I used a piece of corn. Mashed the little bugger's head but good.  lol

I found a fairly good youtube channel by Dave Canterbury he has a long trapping series with lots of good info.

Guest smallgamehunter

Any catch is a good catch Greene don't worry about numbers

One catch is just as sweet as 10

U reminded me I got traps to set tomorrow I should of had traps out two weeks ago

Coons are very selective where they step. Deliberate may be a better word. I noticed one time where they were coming out of a large field tile where they had to step down a few feet. They would put a foot on the side of the dirt in the same place every time. I dug half a space for the trap to sit on and then propped the rest of the trap with a forked stick. They would then step right on the pan of the trap. I caught one every night till I got them all.

If you have a place that is well traveled you might consider a "drag" set. Wire the chain to a log or branch. That way they wont tear up the entire area trying to get out of the trap. They wont get far till they get tangled up in something.Water sets are better then dry land sets. Ill post some tips on water sets later.

Guest smallgamehunter

Corn field is a double edge sword its OK if they get tangled up on the field edge its a major pain if they get into it then tangle up

Guest smallgamehunter

I use to make grapple type drags from rebar when I was working at a welding shop a few years back

Guest smallgamehunter

You should be able to trap them all winter I have caught them oct-feb here so I don't see y u couldn't have same result

You should be able to trap them all winter I have caught them oct-feb here so I don't see y u couldn't have same result

that's good. their probably the animal to learn with.

Guest smallgamehunter

Coons and possums are a good start I have caught possums in cage traps baited with cat food

Well I just got back from checking traps. all the bait was gone but nothing was in the trap. I also had a conibear out for squirrels it got set off but somehow it got away.