WildSurvive Forum

I'll be posting pictures of birds I see while birding here as well as tips for identifying different species of birds.

did some birding from my house today didn't see anything it's to cold. I only have 8 days till next year and I've only seen 114 species of birds this year.

Had a couple of hairy woodpeckers and a red belly here for breakfast. Along with the usual contingent of blue jays and dark eyed juncos. Have not yet seen the Harris sparrow that was hanging around last winter.

Found on smushed one the road last spring and did spot another down by my folks farm last summer.  Numbers are way down due to habitat reduction.

We have pileated woodpeckers around here too, but I have yet to actually see one. Found places where they have torn up trees.

Fall warblers can be very difficult to identify. I doesn't help that they are very active and don't stay in one spot very long. I always look at the wings for bars, the face for eye rings or eye lines, the throat color and the under tail color.

It may be helpful to leave the field guide at home and just bring a notebook.

a8y4ujav.jpg if you look at the features I pointed this bird should be easily identified.

Note this bird has a white eye ring, a yellow spot on its throat and sides, 2 white wing bars and under its tail is white.

The introduced European Starlings are taking over the Red Headed Woodpeckers nest as soon as they peck a hole. That why you dont see as many.

The introduced European Starlings are taking over the Red Headed Woodpeckers nest as soon as they peck a hole. That why you dont see as many.

I guess starlings are now targets...

I don't like killing of birds usless you intend to eat them  :cry:

I agree but non native birds are really hurting the native species

Did some birding from the house this morning. Saw at least 12 chickadees, 2 white breasted nuthatches, 5 bluejays,

2 crows and 2 squirrels

Cool, greene.  On the clean up I was at today, we saw a number of sand hill cranes and a juvenile eagle.  Yesterday I scared up a woodcock - first time I have ever seen one of those.