WildSurvive Forum
Appalachiansurvivor

Hello From the mountains of Southwest North Carolina

Good Evening Everyone.

I have been lurking around as a guest for a couple weeks now and it looks like great bunch of people hanging around in here. I just had to join. You guys have put a ton of good information for the newbie and the advanced survivalist alike.  :thumbup:.  Everyone also seems genuinely friendly. It is an awesome combination for a forum website. I hope you have room for a new guy here.

I grew up in a city environment in upstate NY. I spent 30 years working on cars and 5 years ago I decided I had enough of the city life and decided to become more self sufficient and less dependent on the monetary world. I began studying and practicing until I felt comfortable with my skills. I still have a long way to go seeing you can never have enough knowledge but it is a start.

This past year I finally broke down left the citidiots behind and purchased a cabin and land 3400 feet up in the North Carolina Mountains where a gallon of milk is 45 min away and kaboom no more city folk.  :D. It has been the best thing I have ever done.

I am looking forward to going through the posts I have not yet read and future new posts.

Everyone Have a Great Day !!

Thank You for allowing me to become a member.

Tom

Welcome to our little band of misfit toys, Tom.  Make yourself at home and if you have any questions or suggestions, let us know.

Welcome Tom we will look forward to getting acquainted and reading any input into our group you wish to discuss. We try to make sure what is posted here is as factual as possible and not  contribute any thing that could cause any one harm. If you have any questions about posting pictures or any other problems feel free to ask any one.  :arigato:

Thank you everyone. 

I have been through the  campfire thread it was most entertaining.  No worries about posting bad information.  I am more of the gathering of information type.  Unless i can support information with facts I will not say much.

I do look forward to chatting with you all. Thank you again for all the welcomes.

Guest smallgamehunter

Well from one tom to another welcome aboard and feel free to ask questions around here the only bad questions are the ones not asked

~ Welcome aboard Tom!  :wave:  I'm jealous! It's always been my dream to own a cabin in the woods. I'm going to do it one day. Of course I'll have to have somebody to run it.  :P  I mean, I'll fill up the bird feeders and take care of my pet chickens and my herb garden and stuff, but somebody's got to do the hard stuff.  :hugegrin:

Welcome to the forum!  I know be an invasive question, but would you be willing to share more about your self sufficient home and lifestyle?

~ YES! Please! I think all of us would love to hear about it. I'd like to see some pics.  :yes:

Welcome to the forum!  I know be an invasive question, but would you be willing to share more about your self sufficient home and lifestyle?

No worries, I do not mind sharing. I purchased the cabin in June of this past year. I spent the summer clearing the land and performing needed maintenance on the cabin as well as stocking up on wood for the winter. I am currently set up so in the spring I can plant about a half an acre garden, I am still trying too figure out exactly what is going in there. but I have a pretty good idea. I have started my compost pile and that seems to be going well. I also have purchased about 90 percent of the equipment to convert the home to solar power. The only thing left to buy is the batteries.  I had considered raising some livestock, chickens, pigs, ect. but with it being only myself i am not sure the cost of raising them and keeping the predators away will be feasible.  That will be a decision for down the road.

This is all kind of new to me and I am still learning but I can call it progress. I will continue to expand my knowledge and gradually I will get there.

I would like to apologize if my grammar and writing skills are lacking it has never been something I was found to be good at. Throw a wrench in my hand and that is a different  story.  lol.

I will spend some time this evening and go through the thread I saw and figure out how to get some pictures up for everyone.

That sounds like quite an undertaking, App-Survivor.  I would be interested in see how you have things set up.

I have been using the new version of Imageshack to post pictures.  I just upload the images there and then grab the forum code to post on here.  It is free for 30 days, then $12 for a year.  There are some other options as well.

Don't worry about grammor or speeling  (yeah, I am expecting crab for that...lol), we'll mock you about that along with anything else.  lol

This is not just a forum but a extended family and we use this sight to keep in contact. A big THANK YOU goes to Swede and his wife sharen for keeping this sight up and running also to not be forgotten is our tech support team. So as many have already said welcome enjoy the posts and the closeness of every one here and please remember to contribute your knowledge back

Guest smallgamehunter

8| 8| Your neighbor looks like jim tom from moonshiners