WildSurvive Forum
greene

New camera

I'm thinking its about time I got a new camera the one that I currently have is just a cheap point and shoot. Its nice for carrying around all day but it does not take the best pictures. I'm mostly going to be able to use it for taking pictures of wildlife so something with decent zoom would be nice. Do have any reccomendations on good cameras? I'm really not looking to spend more than $200.

watcher and mistwalker  are good guys to talk to about cameras. gr8outdoorsman uses them for a living (what I understand) so im sure they will give you some good info.  ive got the cannon powershot. its 12 megapixel and takes great pics for a point and shoot. ive owned the last 3 models of it. easy to use. unless your looking for a lot of zoom in a 35 mm format it might be a decent upgrade for not a lot of coin.

At the 200 dollar price range, your pushing it for quality and zoom.  If you want dslr you could get a Canon Rebel xti and a 75-300mm (zoom) lens for around 200...  Not necessarily the best quality though. 

Mostly birds so probably 25 yards away but they are fairly small.

I guess I could go $250 if it makes a difference.

Ok. I'll look and see what options are out there for that price range. You definitely want some zoom at that distance to make the bird as large as possible.

Mostly birds so probably 25 yards away but they are fairly small.

I guess I could go $250 if it makes a difference.

If you could trap them, you could get a lot closer.  Oh wait...that's right...you suck at trapping.  lol (j/k, of course).

Trapping in 3' of snow is a lot harder than you would think especially when you cant get to the areas where the animals are living

Trapping in 3' of snow is a lot harder than you would think especially when you cant get to the areas where the animals are living

lol Yeah, I know, but just couldn't not say anything. Lol

I started out with a Canon Rebel XTi and it worked just fine for me.  You can get one for 100 bucks used on Amazon.  75-300mm canon lens is the lowest end zoom lens, but its only 80 used, and it would work rather well for birds.  Spend an additional 80 bucks and get a Canon 50mm lens and you'd have a good start for only 250 bucks.