WildSurvive Forum

I have some tall white ash trees in my north bottom. Im thinking of having a neighbor who has a portable saw mill set up to saw some blanks for bow making. He can kiln dry if thats what I need. I dont know how thick to make the strips or leave them in a thick board till Im ready to cut the blanks. I dont know if I should kiln dry the boards. I have no idea what size to make the blanks or the length. I should have a life time supply of ash if any one is interested.

d2bk.jpg

e70a.jpg

mzr5.jpg[/url

Kiln dried ash would be splendid for bows! 

I believe 2 to 2 1/2 inch would be the minimum, 3 inch would give plenty of room to handle some of the natural twisting.

I would happily purchase a couple of 6 foot staves.

So 3"+ 6'.5" Now kiln dried? Do we worry about the grain in the wood? Not much control on how to cut it for grain but some pieces may be better then others.

Generally anything less than 20 degrees twist is still usable.  But yeah, its pretty much the luck if the draw.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

Kiln dried ash would be splendid for bows! 

I believe 2 to 2 1/2 inch would be the minimum, 3 inch would give plenty of room to handle some of the natural twisting.

I would happily purchase a couple of 6 foot staves.

Might want to check on this before moving ash into Iowa from out of state, Doc, as there is currently an embargo in place (even though the EAB has been found in Iowa and kiln drying the wood should kill off the critters).

The osage you have growing all over makes the best bows. I didn't know ash was good for bows probably easyer to work with than osage ill bet.

Ive got some dam good straight hedge trees around. Pretty valuable for fence posts but I dont intend to spend any of my valuable energy cutting fence posts.    :thumbdown:

Sonny knows a couple of guys near here who make and use long bows. I have ones number so far and I will be calling him to see if he will come and look at my trees. Maybe he will come to this years farmageddon and give us a demo.  :peace:

That would be awesome!!  I've not built a full bow yet, I've dabbled and worked on shaping the handle but discovered a split that killed the last bow I was working on.  Just never got back to another one.    I've spent more time researching (Measure twice cut once as the old saying goes).  From what I've read, Ash is a little more forgiving for us beginners, (Softer and easier to work than some of the other woods).

Ill take a ride today and get a picture of some of the hedge trees Ive got.

Aren't those the "tennis ball" trees?

No their hedge ball trees. Tennis balls are different all together.

OK then Im making progress. I found a guy a few miles away that teaches sels bows. The other guy makes recurves. Heres a link to the kind of bows this guy makes. Mystic I think is what he calls them. The other two guys into recurves will be coming out to farmageddon this year. Ill call the long bow guy tomorrow.

http://www.3riversarchery.com/selfbows.asp